1978 SRX racing tips

SRX freek

hey guys im looking to race a 1978 srx 440 and its gonna be my first time ever racing so im looking for any tips i can get. the sled is bone stock with the reg. stock yamaha clutch and gearing. can anyone tell me anything about racing one of these, like what set-ups they use or any of their settings?? (gearing, clutching, studs, etc.) the sled will most likely be drag raced, not oval raced. if anyone has any racing parts or go-fast goodies they would like to sell or think would improve my sled please please let me know!!!

with drag racing your hole shot is vital. you will need to set your engagment to 5000-5500 rpm to get a good holeshot.
from there, i'd i start by reducing weight. aluminum skis, aftermarket lightweight pipes, remove stock airbox etc, unless your running it in superstock racing classes.

DUDE, DUDE THE FOLLOWING:
76 SRX PIPES
FIND .40 mm CARBS
RUN A COMET WITH THE SET-UP I GAVE YA
17-31 GEARING.
120 1'' chisels
this sled will fly!! 3:16 (TONY)

Racing days......

A comet clutch is not manditory. We raced a '77 many years ago and stayed with the stock Yamaha primary clutch. Mattet of fact we had 3 or 4 outer halfs, each set up a little different to see what was going to work that day and tweek'em from there. Same with the seconday/driven clutch. For carbs we ran 40's and 44's, set up to run w/o air box but those kinda things will be dictated in the rules of the class your gonna run it. For ski's we had a set offa an old Rupp Nitro F/A, very small and lighter than even the aluminum ones that came on the '77. We ran mostly mod and open mod classes. Wild porting and AAEN pipes, engagement for the "extreme" ported cylinders/heads set up was 6500, some times closer to 7,000rpm. Every day, every track is gonna be different. Plan on spending lots of time "tuning" your sled. Keep a log of weather conditions, track conditions, clutch, carb and , gearing and even belts for future refference. Ahhh, I miss the "good old days!" :lol:

hey thanks alot guys...we're on our way. have got comet clutch setup that yammiegod told me to put on, we got the studs, and im in the process of finding the .40 mil carbs. the thing im gonna need your help for is finding a decent set of 1976 pipes...if anyone has any leads on anything...let me know!!!

Back