Asphalt Racing

SOFA RAN A 10.0 ? WHERE !! I NEVER SAW IT. THIS POLARIS HAS RUN A 10.05 AT 126. HIS HP IS VERY CLOSE TO SOFA SRX. VERY SIMILAR POWER, ALL I AM SAYING. LIKE I SAID ALOT OF STREET CARS OR TIMES WOULD OF BEEN BETTER. 3:16 (tony)

Tony,
Couldn't make it down this past Friday, weather was hit and miss and just got back from a business trip that afternoon, so i talked myself out of it... I plan on getting down this Friday again to see if we can back up what we ran last time we were out and also see if we can improve on some things... Is Steve plan on going back down this week, if so we should see him/you down there again.

--Buster696--

MIKE, I THINK HE IS GONNA RUN SATURDAY. HEY, SAW YOUR BUDDIE LAST WEEK, HE SAID HE IS GONNA HAVE CLAY FOR THIS FALL. !! 3:16 (tony)

Well guys an exciting night at NYIRP tonight. Temp was a cool 58deg when we started running and got down to that critical temp of 50deg (according to the track owner…) of being able to hold a good numbers/ET from the big cars before the night was done. It was also Mustang 5.0 night, if you are a Ford Mustang fan, this is the place to be.

Off the trailer I ran a 1.52 – 60ft 5.91 @ 121 1/8mi 9.19 @ 145.06 1/4mi, sled was pulling to the left, had to let off, but still a good run to back up last time out, so not too bad.

Went a little backwards in et to a low 9.2 ~ 9.4’s, but the MPH was still there so I knew we were still ok, the sled still pulling and/or launching to one side, or the other. Still trying to work on getting the new skid dialed in, this was to be expected...

4th run of the night…
1.45 – 60’ 5.69 @ 127.01 – 1/8mi, 8.95 @ 145.34 - 1/4mi
I made it, I’m in the 8’s now… ;)!

On the next run, track got really slippery (temp was 50deg, and dew was setting in…), sled launched to the left (my fault, tried adjusting a little more belt deflection and didn’t work), and had to lift, and then get back into it, ran a 9.37 @ 142.32mph.

Again, an exciting night getting into the 8’s…
(More boost will be added next time out...)

In two weeks got a ‘Bike-Sled Shootout’ (bracket race), and going to try and get out maybe once before then in the daytime to see if we can get out when there is some good traction with sun beating down on the track along with some good rubber on the track.

--Buster696--

MIKE, I THINK HE IS GONNA RUN SATURDAY. HEY, SAW YOUR BUDDIE LAST WEEK, HE SAID HE IS GONNA HAVE CLAY FOR THIS FALL. !! 3:16 (tony)

T, Sounds good with Steve, i have too much going on, Friday was my only option this week. Glad to hear about the clay starting line, if he does that he will have an even bigger race this year... ;)! (i know that's hard to belive...)

--Buster696--

MIKE, JUST AWSOME. YOU GOT THAT THING FLYING. 8,s ARE AMAZEING ESPECIALLY DOING IT ON SHITBOX MUSTANG NIGHT. WE KNOW WHAT THEY DO TO THE TRACK !!!3:16 (tony)

Hey Tony,
How would a repo ssr look on the asphalt. I've been building and running the asphalt from day one. It's fun but expensive to go real fast. I always lined up on the inside of the lane. This seemed to help keep the sleds from pulling left and they always launched strieght. All sleds are different and sometimes staying out of the water box even helped my 60ft times. Hey Buster good luck. Running in the 8's is great. Just keep your head down at the other end. Dean-o

DEAN, YA KNOW I HEARD THERE WAS A GUY RUNNING A 77 SRX ON TAR BUT NEVER SEEN IT. WAS THAT YOU lol !!! TELL YA THOUGH THATS NOT THAT FARR FETCHED IF ONE CAN GET IT TOO WORK, ESPECIALLY ALOT OF TRACKS ARE GOING TO 1/8. A OLD SRX OR A SSR WOULD BE A KILLER IN THE 1/8 !! 3:16 (tony)

Got out this past Sunday for an 1/8th mi shootout at my home track. www.nyirp.com
This was a ‘Box’~’No-Box’ race only and had over 200cars, 6 sleds, and 8 bikes.

Got to the track and it was already 78deg, it was going to be a hot one…

Pulled the sled off the trailer and made my first run:

Time Trial Run 1: running at low boost, forgot to flip the switch… so, rpm was low, etc… (my fault)
1.46 60’ – 5.86 1/8 @ 118.82mph

Time Trial Run 2: Ran at high boost… (fastest ET & mph ever in the 1/8th)
1.44 60’ – 5.64 1/8 @ 128.81mph

Time Trial Run 3: at this time I kept it at high boost, but track temp was 115deg (and going up…), I’ve still go winter jetting in, sled did not like that, so sled did not run good at all, WAAAY to much fuel… also, I popped the intercooler off so no boost/power, may have popped off from the previous run…
1.52 60’ – 5.77 @123.11mph

Time Trial Run 4: Put on the intercooler back on, but track temp was almost 120deg, sled would not even get down the track, still running high boost, air temp was 93deg… Verrry HOT!!!
1.52 60’ – 7.64 @ 72.76mph

At this point it was time to dial.. 95deg-Air Temp, Track Temp is 120deg, they are scraping the track because the track is bubbling up, and now I can see the concrete on the starting line… Not good for racing conditions, let the sled cool down a little more between runs. But, I did get the sled running so it would go down the track. I went 3 rounds (changing from high boost down to low boost), and then lost in the 4th ,( Adjusting the number per round…) made it farther than I thought I would (cars, bikes, sleds) I couldn’t believe it… Am I bracket racer now… :flag: :na :flag:

Over all I learned a lot about how the sled reacts per the condition and had fun…

Next time out is this weekend at: Bike\Sled Shootout at NYIRP (www.nyirp.com) June 4th

Here is the link to the flyer: http://www.nyirp.com/2006 bike shootout flyer.pdf

Hope to see some TY-ers at the track, weather looks like it’s going to be in the low/mid-70’s and mostly sunny…

--Buster696--

Well guys had a good time last night at NYIRP. Wednesday night is Import Night, but had some larger than normal attendance due to the big IHRA event this week, a lot of guys trying to get ready for the weekend.

60’ times were average at most, and had a few runs in the 8.8’s and a couple in the 8.7’s when we went down the middle of the track. There is more here just have to sneak up on it…

Best ET of the night was 8.784 at 150.57... (best MPH for the night was 150.8) ;)!

--Buster696--

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, Got out to NYIRP last night for some testing/racing…
Off the trailer I ran it on low boost to see what she will do. This is the boost I’ll be running when I bracket race so I wanted to see what the sled would do. That run was ¼mi - 9.31 @ 141.84mph. Was happy with that so we put her on high boost and ran the rest of the night.

I seem to be hitting the wall with the sled at high boost. So, I started with some different gearing and clutching/suspension combo’s. Best run of the night was a 8.74, but the good part about the night is that my gearing change got me consistently in the low 150mph (150.45~152.80). ET’s were all in the mid/high 8.7’s ~ low 8.8’s. Going out on Wednesday night for one last time before the race at ESTA on July 8/9th and try and get the 60ft’s down a little more.

--Buster696--

July 1, 2006
Thundervalley Dragway
Marion, SD

Went out last night and made 8 test & tune runs. I should've made 2 more runs as the combination and traction was really coming around, but ran out of ice. Made a total of 8 passes in the following conditions for an average.

Avg Temp: 87.5 degrees
Avg Humidity: 47%
Avg Density Altitude: 4350'

Run 1:
Ulmer Racing Apex Stage 2
RT: .056
60': 1.521
660': 6.816
MPH: 98.326
1000': 8.957
1320': 10.934
MPH: 116.604

Run 2:
Ulmer Racing Apex Stage 2
RT: .065
60': 1.452
660': 6.680
MPH: 98.959
1000': 8.804
1320': 10.770
MPH: 117.233

Run 3:
Ulmer Racing Apex Stage 2 & Ulmer Racing Belt
RT: .019
60': 1.553
660': 6.871
MPH: 98.284
1000': 9.008
1320': 10.984
MPH: 116.653
Belt = too aggressive & spun & overshifted

Run 4:
Ulmer Racing Apex Stage 2 (lightened up the heel by 2 grams)
RT: .057
60': 1.497
660': 6.737
MPH: 99.680
1000': 8.845
1320': 10.793
MPH: 118.380

Run 5:
Ulmer Racing Apex Stage 2 (same as run 4)
RT: .034
60': 1.484
660': 6.707
MPH: 99.596
1000': 8.820
1320': 10.775
MPH: 117.889

Run 6:
K&N Air Filters #1 with no fuel changes
RT: .179
60': 1.434
660': 6.670
MPH: 98.665
1000': NA
1320': 10.773
MPH: 116.916
Air Filters didn't seem to give engine enough air. Lossed 400 RPM with same A/F ratio

Run 7:
K&N Air Filters #2 with no fuel changes
RT: .022
60': 1.427
660': 6.649
MPH: 99.047
1000': NA
1320': 10.745
MPH: 116.953
Raced against a Nova who passed me at 1/8 mile. His wind turbulence killed top end. Noticable in ET & MPH.

Run 8:
RT: .023
60': 1.410
660': 6.610
MPH: 99.163
1000': 8.733
1320': 10.697
MPH: 117.461
Single pass. Just backing up previous runs, traction is very good.

I hope to get back out next Saturday night again.

What a weekend… I know this may be a little long, but what a weekend at the PRO Sled Shootout.
Well what can you say… Lots of things happened over the weekend too many to post about, but I’ll tell you about the highlights for me.

Friday: Went to Coopers Landing for a couple of Beers. Meet up with a lot of people that I know and some that I’ve never met. A good time…
Saturday: Went to the track and got ready to qualify for the Open Quick 16. Off the trailer went out and ran a 8.963et at 152mph. BUT, at the end of the run I found out that I was missing 3 chunks out of my track around the outside edge. Needless to say, this is not a good thing… At this point I have to give a Big THANK YOU for Paul Magliato for pulling the track out of the sled he was trying to sell, he had a “…Let’s get it done…” attitude, so we switched the track over. I missed the 2nd round of qualifying, but I would rather run a Safe track vs. on that was falling apart. The next 2 qualifying runs, I could not better the number so I qualified 5th.

Sunday: I drew Gary Carlson, PS 1200cc Motor on NOS. I got a lucky break and won because hey blew a belt around the 600ft mark. Next round I had another lucky break ran a sled that was only running 9.6’s, so we advanced to the Semi-Finals. I had to run Asphalt Stevie Wisneski Well we took off and he had some issues off the line and was a head of him till 200ft before the finish line, he passed me with 1/2sled going through the traps, I made a clean pass, ran a faster ET, but lost by .02. He had a better reaction time than me. Needless to say I was VERY disappointed with myself. As it looks I got 4th place based on my last runs ET. All of my ET’s were 2-tenths off from my testing, I think I have an issue with pluming, during some investigation I found a clamp that had slid off and seemed to be leaking. I will know more tonight/this week when I pull the sled in the garage and do some more investigation.
Here are the sled count for the weekend: Sled count = 32 ALL MOTOR entries; 16 OPEN/Power Added entries; 93 Bracket entries; Total Sleds - 141

Overall, I was excited, satisfied and also disappointed in my efforts. Still was a great weekend, and would encourage all of you to attend this event if you can in the future. Also wanted to thank these individuals for their support: Brett Pierson (my pit guy/helper), Jeff Simons, Allen Ulmer, Paul Magliato, Charlie at Wahl Bros, Stones Snow Sleds, My Wife Jennifer for her support, and all the other TY-ers that gave me encouraging support this past weekend.

--Buster696--

Last edited:
Yea,we had a rough weekend in the carlson camp.Burned down friday night testing,tore it down and rebuilt it sat morning at esta.Burned it down again during time trials,tore it down and rebuilt it again and then the blown belt in eliminations.We worked our asses off but had no luck this year but we all had a good time,cant wait to do it all over again next year.

Back