Cat skid Install in Pro-Action Tunnel

Sno-Xr

These Dimensions are from a 00 Cat skid that was put in a 04 Viper S
First thing I did was get my rear mounting location by measuring back from the center of the drive axle, and used the Yamaha rear outside mounting plate(that fancy washer on the rear mount bolt) as a template for the hieght( this actually gives you more clearence to the top of the tunnel than in the cat - the tipped tunnel). This gives you a center line(check the drawing) to measure from for the front mount location. This setup gave me the same ride hight as the pro-action but the same aproach angel and geometry as the Cat.
I did have to remove about a 1/4" off each side of the front mounts, but the rear of the tunnel flexxed enough to install the skid. You will have to make mounting plates and bolt or rivet them in for the front mounts.(See 2nd pic)

The only concern that I have, is that the pro-action tunnel is not tipped in the rear as the cat tunnels, so far (about a 1000 hardcore miles) I havent had any issues. There are no track rub marks on my tunnel, but I am not studded. If you are studded, be sure that you have proper tunnel protection.
I do not guarentee this setup, but I will say,so far so good for me!

Click on pic to enlarge

Attachments

• CatInstall.jpg
    CatInstall.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 561
  • catskidfrontplate.jpg
    catskidfrontplate.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 299
  • TYsusppic.JPG
    TYsusppic.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:

Thanks

Thanks i think all the pro actions are the same.i,m gonna try i got 2 rear skids might as well try.i,ll let you know Thanks for the info looks great

Didn't want to resurrect an old thread but I just did that in my wildcat. I put a 2001 ZL800 skid in there and never thought about the SRX. I have holes in my tunnel like that, I wonder if someone tried it on there before? Maybe I'll see if I can pick up another one. The cat rides like a dream. 13.5" of travel on a SRX? Sounds like a neat idea! I think you are missing a set of wheels though. I think theres supposed to be 4 inside rails towards front shock.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Man, now i'm on ebay. Thats all I need. I just went through my suspension and I can't stop thinking about this. I am thinking it would screw up my steering geometry. My cat sits level when on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yeah, one bad thing about the cat skid is quality. I removed the the set of wheels because I got tired of the shafts wearing out where the wheel bearing sets. If you dont have all the cross shaft bushings in perfect condition, they dont clamp the bogey wheels properly, then the bearings spin on the shaft, wearing them out. Plus I started off with a pretty rough condition skid. I have atleast 6000 miles on this setup now, and agree, the cat skid rides soooooooo much better then the ProAction
As for the ride height, My Viper sits almost exactly as it did with the ProAction skid, but it would definitely raise the back of your SRX considerably.

Hey sno xr, was that a skid out of a zl or a ZR? I got a 2000 zl440 back up sled and had been thinking about swaping skids between that and the viper. Wasn't sure if I'd lose the handling of the viper with a skid out of more of a comfort cruiser type sled like a zl vs a more aggressive type ZR. Guess I could research a little but might as well go straight to the source. Hey Viktory2k1, I got that same year wildcat sitting in my garage and needs some work, through all your efforts with yours would you do it all over again or just part it out and find something else to invest your time into?

I just made an offer on a 200ZL skid on ebay. $100. I'd do the wildcat again, especially with the skid update. Does the fuel pump run when you turn it on? I have lots of parts. It could a be simple fix. When key is on(all switches) what happens? Did it ever run for you? There is a "check engine" light on the front of ecu(the edge facing forward) see if that says anything. We'll get that thing going. It's sickening how much I know about mine. Just need more info. How much do you know about wildcats? Just so I know where to start. Maybe we can move this to the off brand section? I'm ready to do it all over again. Now I know where and what to look for. I thing the only difference between the zl and zr skid is the rear scissors part of suspension and shorter, stiffer springs on the ZR. I have a ZR rear arm. The zl is softer because the springs are so long. Check out that 1st pic, a ZR spring is 2/3 as long and mounts further back. Sweet, I can help instead of be helped! For some reason, the wildcat turns more heads then my srx, both of which I got so polished up they look like new except the wildcat has a lot of spider webbing on hood that nobody seems to notice. You probably have tons of snow and working on that thing is last on your mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 15
If memory serves me, it was actually out of a ZRT. As for handling, my cat skid is the non transfer block suspension, which basically meens i lift the skiis alot more then it used to. So, cornering has suffered compared to the stock suspension. Id do it all again also, the bump handling is twice as good as the ProAction. I can actaully sit on the seat at 60mph over chatter bumps without my azz vibrating from one side of the seat to the other. Only thing id probably add is the transfer blocks to help keep the skiis planted around corners.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably follow through with that swap soon as the snow is gone. I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of handling to save my back. I can't wait to tell my ac buddies that I'll be swapping the pro action into that cat so that it will finally be able make the turns on the trail muhahahaha...

That wildcat hasn't ran for a few years actually. My buddy said last time he tried to go out with it it started and he drove it on the trailer, drove to the launching point for ride that day and never made it off the trailer b/c it wouldn't start again. Ended up getting a new sled and 2 years later the wildcat ends up in my garage. This one doesn't have e- start, or at least no battery. Don't really know a whole lot about it or wildcats in general except back in the day they were a fairly desirable sled. I did try to inspect some wireing at first, then realized there was a lot more of it than I expected for a 94 or whatever year it is. I'll dig into it soon and start a thread in off brand. Need to do a little re assembly I think before asking too many questions first, there will be plenty of em for sure. I'm thinking I'll start with the kill switch, tether and cdi and go from there.

If its an EFI sled, it has to have a battery. Thats what runs the ecu and fuel pump when you turn it on. I don't have electric start either. Post a pic and I can tell what year it is. All I know is if that battery goes below 12 volts, the whole sled goes nuts. Backfiring, not starting bogging, running on 1 cyl. Thats the first plan of attack. I wouldn't go out and buy the y14 one either(I did though). Their $45 at walmart. Just put your riding mower battery in there. Yeah, the wiring is nuts on those for the year. They do also have a tors but its called tss(throttle safety system). Its not like yamis and limp the motor, it will act like another kill switch. Tons of ppl have them go bad. Thats the one thing that wasn't wrong with mine. Could be what happened to yours. No throttle switch, they have a tps. I can tell you how to bypass that when you get that far.
Lets see, they have a tps, ambient air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor(2), crank position sensor(2, one to fire injectors and one to trigger spark), there may be 1 or 2 more can't remember. The battery goes right below the ecu and probably has more then 1 wire on each terminal. You will notice a lot of brown wires. Those are all grounds and there everywhere, if one is bad or corroded, the whole sled wont work or partially. It is EFI right? I think 94s all were. Its kinda neat for a 21yo sled to have all that. I have a service manual for a 94 wildcat on disk. When it comes to that, I will upload it on the internet so you can have it. Just gotta make sure of the year. Mine has the green and purple lightening bolts, 94. If it has green then checkered flags and then purple, then its a 93(on the hood) What did you mean about something missing making you do wheelies? Torque block? I dont want to check or I will lose my msg. OK transfer block. I gotta look into that because the wildcat likes to do wheelies. I didn't know about a transfer block. Oh, that guy turned down my offer so I offered $150. Does your skid still look as good as it did in pics? I am thinking going bare aluminum instead of paint. I gotta get it first.
Funny how you put an older skid in a newer sled for an upgrade. I think there was a design flaw with the no-action skid.

Last edited:
OK, I accepted the counter offer on the 2000 ZL skid $175 with shipping so once I go through it, I will post it in the project section with step by step pics. I think I will keep it "bare" aluminum. I wish it was the 2001 with the through bolts in front but its the shaft style.

Back