Northern Ontario Yamaha ride

im in for the liskeard ride. i live in englehart. reaper whats your name maybe we know each other.
Pat Therrien

Hey Pat, we may have met before i am the only guy around (that i know of) that has a extended SRX 136.......James Carlson......work at Wilson Chevrolet but i worked for Scotiabank in town for over 4yrs before working at Wilson's.

James what is your dads name? I know the area and people around Skead quite well. Grew up there, and my parents and sister still live there. As for Rocky's, great food and stop over point, would not recommend it for lodging! Might be interested in both runs if it doesn't interfer with hockey tournaments.
Later Dan J.

Dad's name is Al Carlson, moved out there about 2 yrs from Garson, he works for Falconbridge he keeps his big boat out on Wanapitei....has on older 1995 ZR 700, has dumped major $$ and time into it over the last two years the thing look like new. He switched from Yamaha because he got the ZR from a relative for next to nothing but i think he wishes he would have stuck with Yamaha! LOL
Dan i guess we will have to look at Chelmsford or Hanmer for motels for the out of town guys, Maim said its about a hour ride to Rockys from there, i guess the guys could trailer into Rocky's from the motel?.....................James

Last edited:
you dont want to stay in Hanmer...no good place....the only one is pretty much a dive.
For you guys comming from out of town we can arrange to meet at my house. There is a school next door to me to park vehicles and tailers. Then a short drive to Sudbury or Chelmsford for a hotel. I can park some sleds at my house overnight for you out of town riders. My backyard is completely fenced in with a locked gate. Just a suggestion and may be easier then meeting at Rockies. It is shorter by snowmobile to rockies then by car.

James, I live in Val Therese...Hanmer basically.
From my house to Ela lake is 10 minutes the you cross Ela to Wahnapitae.
We can gas up at Rockies and do the loop. Anybody comming from out of town will have to drive by or close to my place to get to Rockies.

Azilda is about a 17 minute drive from my house with decent roomat at a resonable price. Good food and a Tim Hortons in the parking lot.

James I golf with your Dad once in awhile. Our men's night at Cedar Green can be alot of fun!! What are most of the out of towners planning to do at the end of the day?? If they plan on going out, they may want to stay closer to town. Just a thought!
Dan J.

We are still in the planning stages, for the New Liskeard ride everything will be based out of my in laws so everything is right there (rooms,parking etc) as for the Sudbury looks like we are going to be a little spread out.....i will have to co-ordinate a little with Bob for this ride.......

i think for now we should look at getting a head count for now for both rides so we can have an idea of what we have to plan for......so let me know guys who would like to come, not asking yet for confirmation but i will soon for the New Liskeard ride......oh ya i should clear this with the wife! :rofl: .......James

lol just what i said. id probably leave my sled or stay at my brothers that weekend as he is just across town from bobs house. but i live in azilda so i could show you the way there from the motel.

i have acess to 2 trailers for goin up there. both are open with no salt sheild. one can fit 5 sleds the other only 2 (plus the box on the p/u of course). just puttin the options out now lol

also the valley inn has a bar attached right to the hotel and it is the more popular watering hole in azilda so it is not far to collapse into bed after :wel:

Last edited:
Ok for the out of town guys please PM me with your intentions so i can get an idea of how many will need rooms/beds for FEB 17/18 ride in New Liskeard......the chalet that my father in law has can sleep around 8.....so i need to know if i will book the chalet or just one of the cottages.......i will talk to him on pricing and discounts for the two nights (Fri & Sat)............James

Ok guys, 3 out of towners have confirmed so far. I know weather sucks out there but i will need to have confirmations by the end of the month to be able to book cottages. Also any local guys should confirm also so i can plan for Sat night supper and Sun breakfast...........James

ill be there for the ride and supper saturday, not for breakfast sunday.
Pat

Thanks for the reply Pat. I have to give Denis and his son a call and see if they want to come and if they could donate a something for a few attendance draws..............James

Ill talk to my dad and a few of my friends probably be 4 or 5 of us ill let you know.
Pat

James ill talk to Denis and Pat about the ride im there all the time , my mom Marie works in the parts department, her and my dad will probably come out.
Pat

Hey guys

Sounds like a good ride, and thinking of going, could probabally get my crew to come with me too. Ill have to see if they would be ok overnighting anywhere.

Just thought id mention this too, spent the night at Rocky's before and where you sleep is like a large trailer building or something, and its on a reservation, so where you are renting your room, your right beside people who actually live there. It was different to say the least... But the lodge totally kicked butt!, tons of riders, drag race course just outside in the front, excelent food and modern facilities.

Iv also done that loop to shining tree, and that is such a sweet ride, its really incredible. For most of the ride, your on this high speed nice wide flowing trails, its really awsome! Spent the night at the 3 bears camp too, thats a really nice place, and you rent entire cottages, too bad there isnt any radio or tv tho..., but tons of sledding magazines to read.

Here is a pic from the deck of rockies, looking out onto the lake, and in the right hand bottom part of the picture, you can see the start of the drag course. Then the second pic is of the lake at the 3 bears camp, tons of snow!!!

Attachments

• PIC_0935 (Small).JPG
    PIC_0935 (Small).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC_0937 (Small).JPG
    PIC_0937 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 6

Back