my mono shock install in a Viper

Finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

few pics of the finished product during testing!
IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

03ViperGuy,

That Mono skid looks great! I have been trying to decide what skid to drop in sled next summer. I have been looking at the usual choices: M10, Expert X, Edge, Cat and never considered the Mono. Could you assemble a parts list of everything you needed to get that skid to work?
Thanks, G.B.

Really looks good! and so does the snow! In the first pic with the sled on the dolly, is that Panther in the barn a rotary 303?

silver

I will be doing a complete writeup, parts list, tools needed (right down to what SIZE drill bits) and walkthrough to put on the tech pages :) hope to get it done decently soon. not sure if the panther is a wankel or not, its one of dads 20+ old sled collection that is mostly cats.

oh, and I had a template to drill the holes. trying to come up with a way to get them to people who want them. not trying to make $$ off of it, but want to cover the cost of doing the templates if people wanted them

03Viperguy,

That's great! Your sled looks really cool..... If I decicide to go this way for a new skid, I would have no problem paying you for a template. Keep us posted. Thanks, G.B.

what kind of riding do you do? groomed trail high mileage? ungroomed nasties? straight ditch running?

Id say mostly high mile groomed trails with some off trail excursions thrown in. It gets tough to stay with the Fire Cat Sno Pro and Ski Doo Renegade X package sleds I ride with when the trail gets rough. At least I use to be able to stay with the Poo 600 XC SP when it got rough but he went to 136" skid w/Fox clicker. I have to do something next year. G.B.

sounds like exactly what the mono is great for :) and if you wanted, put a bigger spring in it,set it for your weight and use the clicker depending on the conditions :) full hard and full soft are WAAAAY different :)

The Mono shock sure looks like a cool option. I would expect that the Expert X would handle the rough stuff better and the M10 might give the best ride. It would seem that the Mono shock might be kind of in the middle with performance and afford adjustments on the fly. I will have to keep this in mind when I get serious and have the money to look for a new skid later this year. Thanks! G.B.

I have heard and read that the mono seems to be smoother than the m-10, but I am SURE thats a HUGE debate ending in it all being personal preference and riding style :) I went mono as it was a yamaha skid that was inexpensive compared to all other aftermarket skids (expert and m-10) and I can get parts at a yamaha dealer if I needed to real quick like

That all sounds good. I hope it works out for you. I look forward to seeing some more information and a write up from you later in the year. Thanks, G.B.

Good job Eric ! I'm impressed... I love my Mono in my Apex. It must be a whole new animal now.

GB-- hope to get to the writeup soon, I took it in, thawed it out, and rechecked everything. all looked goo still so I backed out the bolts, locktited them, and tq'd everything down nice. went for another ride and it is simply AMAZING. the front end never seemed bad before, now it seems like the unsettled end of the sled! was going a tad over 80 mph and small trail chatter didnt exist, med sized bumps were swallowed, and the sled NEVER seemed out of balance or at all near the speeds it was actually traveling!!
dave-- it should work, but isnt the tunnel on that actually wider?? something can be worked I am sure ;) it would match the 4 holer nicely lol!
NB-- see above lol! if you can tget teh viper sold, get a mono for it lol!! WELL worth the time and investment! got more pics, will post tomorrow ( off to bed shortly!)

That looks great viperguy. Serious question for you, I'm going to be bringing my Viper up to UMaine soon, and might be making some trips to Pittsburg, think I could test drive your sled sometime?

if we can meet up I have no problem with that. thinking about the mono conversion?? all the cool kids are doing it man ;) when you thinking about being around??

Back