my mono shock install in a Viper

03viperguy

thought I would post some pics. I have a list of all the parts needed, tools needed etc, and will do a writeup after completion to help any other fellow TY people trying to do the same thing :) only have a few pics for now, but ask any and all questions you have!
here you can see all the rivets I drilled out to install the new bracket
IMG_3392.jpg

and this is where I trimmed the original forwrd bracket rather than remove it
IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

and the bracket all installed! waiting on more rivets in the mail. nothing like installing something, only to take it off and do it again! if you do this, DONT FORGET THE TRIANGLE SHAPED SHIM BEHIND THE NEW MOUNTING BRACKET!!!!! lol!
IMG_3394.jpg

more as it progesses! hope this helps....anyone :)

EDIT: I just realized there are NO rivets in the last pic lol! wasnt the pic I thought it was :) and there were a few more rivets that I removed that arent seen in the first pic. I will take more and better pics tomorrow!

actually its a lot dirty ;) its from the grease leaking out of the front arm of the stock skid. old gilr has 6500+ miles, and thats the dirtiest spot. I dont have anyplace I can really wash it :( any ideas? how would you clean it?

Degreaser and pressure wash it! Cant wait for more pictures!

thats what I wanted to do, but I have no place to! :( maybe I will try foamy engine brite and a towel. wish me luck lol!

engine brite and a towel should do. dont get the gel stuff cause it sucks something fierce. oh and you could also get a can of brake cleaner too for the final cleaning so it looks nice.

car wash

I got a powerwasher now.I use to put them on the trail with no skid and take my track stand along and go to the local car wash and put it up on the stand.You will get dirty so set a towel or old bed sheet on your vehicale seat.

lol about the putty knife! we actually have a nice pressure washer. nice CAT pump and a honda motor. just that I have no place outside to do it, everything is too close to the well to be washing off that crud. but, just for you, I wiped it down pretty decent. at least what I could reach without killing myself.
IMG_3426.jpg

and how important is this peice, it is on the right side of the tunnel. what function does it serve??
IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

and here is a better shot showing all the rivets I took out so the bracket would clear. waiting on more rivets, in the mail from port yamaha. thanks Kevin!
IMG_3427.jpg

there were a few rivets I couldnt reach from outside the tunnel, so I would use a SMALL bit and drill a pilot hole in the back of the rivet, from inside the tunnel. YES this is tedious, but I couldnt get it any other way. so if you are doing this, just BE PATIENT. swearing doesnt help the drilling, but does make you feel better lol!

more updates. the way the brackets mount in the tunnel makes it so the tunnel is a SMIDGE too narrow.... SOOOO, I used a peice of wood and cut it at 16 1/2", pried it into the tunnel near the brackets (as shown in the pic) and it worked fine. I also had to drill out one of the rivets that happened to be in the way. my mistakes means you dont have to :) its why this is going to be made into a "TY How-To topic"
IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

and I am pointing to the rivet that you do NOT want to put in until after the skid is mounted lol!
IMG_3441.jpg

I then went to mount the back part of the skid.... more issues. the shock needs to be compressed a tad to bring it far enough forward to line up with the holes. enter the ratchet tie down strap. using 2 of these tie downs (to bring it in even) I was able to get the holes to line up real nice :)
IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

the only issue I have now is that the stock mono uses bushings that go over the rear mounts rather than the spacers that slide over the rear mounts on the proaction. well I need the spacers (tunnel differences between the sleds) so I have a spare set of bushings for a mono lol! and the stock boltts are the right thread from the proaction to the mono, but because of the width difference they are not long enough! only about 1 thread catches! so I am off to find if yamaha makes a longer bolt of that thread that will work, maybe napa will have what I need. local hardware store proved to have nothing! once I know the exact bolt length I will let you know! once that is in I will be mounting the dial adjuster for the shock. plenty more time for learning "errors" lol! hope this is interesting and informative, not just the ramblings of one snow deprived TY guy :)

Nice job...looking forward to the write up...lets see some pics of the remote adjuster install...keep up the good work...

Thanks!!! I want to get the new rear bolts for it so I know EXACTLY where the skid will be before I cut the BIG hole to put the dial adjust in lol! too big of a hole to hide :)

Try mcmaster.com for the bolts - they ship pretty quickly. (Then if you buy a box of them you could sell them to others doings the MONO coversion!)

Keep up the good work - looking great!

xs

Back