AAEN vs Bender Racing pipe for Phazer... are these the same?

Overdrive

I am currently trying to find a used performance pipe for my '85 phazer. I am told that the aaen pipe is the one to get, but I have found a Bender Racing pipe at a somewhat reasonable cost, and am wondering if there is any significant difference with these two pipes or not. I've seen some people mention that they are the same thing, and/or that AAEN made the Bender pipes, but I can't confirm any of it.

Or, if someone has a used AAEN pipe they want to sell, I'd be interested. :)

I've also found some slight info on the DG pipes. Aparently the power cureve is pretty broad.

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:

The aaen "quiet can" pipe is the best pipe for a stock or slightly modded 485 but the DG pipe is also very good !!

I'm planning a carb swap, possibly reeds and clutching for now. If I get the engine apart, I will be doing some porting. Pipe I'm looking at is a Bender, and looks a lot like the AAEN trail torquer that my brother runs. If they are the same, minus the AAEN stamp on them, I might pick it up, unless someone here has one they are looking to clear out of the basement or something.

Hey Phazer95, I just noticed you are in rochester, I live in Avon. that's pretty sweet. We should rip around with the phazers some time!

Sorry, I am kind of Hyjacking here.

silversnow said:
Hey Phazer95, I just noticed you are in rochester, I live in Avon. that's pretty sweet. We should rip around with the phazers some time!

Sorry, I am kind of Hyjacking here.

I ride down that way all the time ! Is your 91 the sled that was for sale right on 5 & 20 by the river in the fall ?

No, it is not that one. I had my eye on that one for a long time, But it was really beat up. The white/red is one of my favorite color schemes for the phazer's, so when when this mint cond. one came up bought it right up. Just couldn't help my self. My dad and I don't most winters register the sleds because we live on My uncles farm And we have about 1000 or so acres to ride. so If we get a good snow some time we will invite you out.

silver

Overdrive, stay with the Aaen pipe, Aaen actually made three different pipes for the Phazer, a quiet "can"-14hp, a torquer pipe 14hp, and a race pipe that revs over 8000rpm. The can pipe is very easy to clutch, so is the torquer pipe. The race pipe is just that (porting, heads, reeds, pistons,carbs). IMO I would stay away from the DG, that stands for "Don't Go". I do believe that the torquer pipe was sold under the Bender name also.

when I was running Phazers bender & Aaen sold 2 different trail pipes, both made by Aaen. One exits the stock exhaust hole (stinger comes out of the side of the silencer) and is called a can style pipe ( quiet er)
the other you had to drill a hole @ 4" further back and the stinger came out of the end of the silencer. I have run both way back when and now my 8 yr old son is driving a 92 Phazer II LE with the can style pipe

Triple X said:
Overdrive, stay with the Aaen pipe, Aaen actually made three different pipes for the Phazer, a quiet "can"-14hp, a torquer pipe 14hp, and a race pipe that revs over 8000rpm. The can pipe is very easy to clutch, so is the torquer pipe. The race pipe is just that (porting, heads, reeds, pistons,carbs). IMO I would stay away from the DG, that stands for "Don't Go". I do believe that the torquer pipe was sold under the Bender name also.

Why don't you like the DG pipe ? Dyno tech tested it and it made 12 hp more than the stock pipe. I run one on my Phazer and it "Does Go" just fine !

phazer95, Anyone or pipe can make horsepower on a dyno, it's how it works in the field that counts. The Aaen pipe has very good torque back up, it has a wide torque band. Your Phazer may run fine with th DG pipe, but have you raced a stock Phazer, I bet it is really close. It is funny how the loud noise makes you think you are going faster. Again this is only my opinion, if you are happy, than that is all that matters.

Triple , I understand that the aaen quiet can is the best pipe for the phazer and it has slightly broader torque curve. But the key word there is "Slightly". The aaen pipe only made 2.0 lb/ft more than the DG pipe and that was at peak. The rest of the time it through out the curve it was about 1.2 lb/ft.
Not exactly enough to dismiss the DG pipe !

As far as noise, the DG has a very mellow tone to it when the silencer is freshly packed.

Also I have not raced a stock phazer but it would not be a fair race as my phazer's motor is not stock and has mods other then the pipe.

I have been riding sleds for 31 years and am a little beyond thinking i am going fast because of a loud pipe. If you have actually used a DG pipe and it did not "Go" maybe you were not clutching for it properly !! :rofl:

Last edited:
Let's not get into a pissing match here, an opion was asked, and I gave mine. If you didn't like it, well that is your prerogative. I have been riding Yamaha's since 1972 and I think I know just a little about clutching. Ask any well known performance shop about DG pipes and they will tell you the same, but they probably don't know what they are talking about also.

Very old thread but I thought I would revive it. I'm looking for a performance pipe for my 480 Phazer, Aaen or Bender, doesn't matter.

Back