HOW TO: put rx-1 skis on your strut sled.

Dave_Vmax600

here it is.

I hope this helps most people who haven't figured out how to do the setup.

First you obviously need a set of RX-1 skis.

After that you need to the following:

You will need to make a square cut in the ski saddle.
the cut is 4 3/8" long....i didn't measure the width but you should leave about 1/4" on each side.

you will need to make the cut 6" up from the back of the ski

Next after you have made that cut you will need to make a shim for the saddle. you can use really fat washers....but i decided to make a plate.
I also had to cut the hole in the plate. The plate is the same thickness as the saddle.

After that you bolt everything back together so the ski is one again.

Now you need to cut down the shaft that came out of the strut picture below.
Cut the shaft down to about 3"

Next you will need to shim up your skis. I used a package of 3/8" washer that i had in my garage....i had to drill them out. I put 4 washers on one side. you can only put them on the inside of the ski or you will result in your saddle getting a little chewed as you can see in some of the pictures.

Remember the washers need to be drilled out to fit over the shaft.(thats only if you have 3/8 inch washers though......)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey good info. I might do this if I can find a fair price rx1 skis. It should indeed be in the tech section.

It doesn't have to be RX-1 ski's that's pretty much a good how-to for most all plastic ski's. I think mine came off of a ski-doo. The main difference was that the hole was already in the saddle.

This is an excellant post, nice job with the description and pics!

Question: Should I still try to shave down the rubber bumper on the TSS skis to fit under the strut or does it just ride on the cross-bolt only?

Question: Should I still try to shave down the rubber bumper on the TSS skis to fit under the strut or does it just ride on the cross-bolt only? I had this done for a TSS sled and it looks like ski was compressing and causing a gouge in the saddle (looks like the same type of damage may be visible on the VMax in this post).

ttt I just carved up a pair of c&a's for my stepsons 95 pogo, and I am wondering about the rubber also. Maxdlx

Last edited:
I just got done modding a pair of sxr ski's for my 93 exciter, what a pita. I had to remove a lot of the saddle and then weld in a "box" at the right height for the rubber to sit in. RX-1 ski's are much easier to do.

I did - had to trim about a 1/4 inch off the bottom, and it is doubtful they will stay in. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Heres the SRX skis on my 93 Exciter SX

Attachments

• IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 33
viper skis will work as well. i do know saddless with stock pogoes will not fit. tried to put apex moutain skis on a vk540iii and could not make them fit.

Ok; I've done the RX-1 saddle skis now (courtesy of CB Performance) on 4 sleds and looking to do a 5th-oneproblem-Yamaha went to a saddleless ski in like '05 and I am having soem trouble locating new old stock (NOS) RX-1 skis. Anyone try anything different? I'll have abuddy at HayDays later this year, worst case, and I am sure I can find them there.

Just was curious if anyone has foudn any other skis that will work?

have you tried the saddleless? When doing the conversion, the issue we are fixing is depth for the spindle and rubber. can the plastic just below the spindle be machined out to hold the rubber? as simple as sliding a bolt through stock ski and saddleless ski and measuring. I do like the aluminum backed ski more for looks but they are getting harder to find in any condition as opposed to saddleless skis guys almost throw away to try to cure their nitro issues. If you wanted performance and wanted it to look stock, you could use arrow bottoms with yamaha alumninm tops, and fit the yamaha tips into them. You have to do some cutting and sanding to make the tips fit as well as the backs. I would check this out myself on a set of skis but I don't have an old spindle bottom and rubber.

Back