Fitch Fuel Catalyst: Fact or Fiction???

I absolutely LOVE coca cola in the glass bottles (from mexico) I get them imported from mexico by the case.. ( I live in a mexican neighborhood) needless to say,,,, Coca cola has caffeine, and caffiene is a mood and mind altering chemical ( kinda in the same boat as alcohol & drugs) needless to say (again) relatively EASILY OBTAINABLE in my neighborhood!!! Getting BACK TO THE SUBJECT,,,,,,,,,I dont know WHY you would even think that tetraethyl leaded RACE FUEL is in anyway BAD for your sled motor????? Although tetraethyl lead is NOT COMBUSTABLE.. I personally feel that it increases horsepower through steady use by COATING the combustion chamber and INCREASING The compression ratio... The tetraethyl lead content is LESS THAN ONE TENTH of ONE PERCENT and I think there is more TRACE MINERALS floating around from the last time they DROPPED fuel in the underground tank that creating a problem with tetraethyl lead!!! Also tetraethyl lead acts as an ASPRIN and ( LIKE ZINC in motor oil) (another HOT topic) also,, like YOU SAID,,,, helps with detonation.. LEAD also resists CARBON DEPOSITS and a good coating on your powervalves will keep them CLEANER!!!! I think your 2002 SRX has a Detonation control (knock sensor) already installed,, so I really wouldn't worry TOO MUCH unless you really HEAT UP those kernels!!!! I have 2, 2004 vipers with spark knock sensors and I have NEVER saw the light go on ( a good thing???) on either of them (except on startup)... I have a PRO E.T. 73 Dodge Challenger that runs 10.250 in the Quarter mile ( on a REALLY GOOD DAY!!!) and it likes 114 LEADED.. It ABSOLUTELY HATES unleaded fuel and SO DO I!!!! It ABSOLUTELY LOVES a HOT MOTOR ( still can't figure out that one YET) and REALLY COLD ambient air (that ones a NO BRAINER).. My point is that I PERSONALLY don't think we will EVER SEE the day when ALCOHOL is MANDITORY in RACE FUEL!!!!! ( at least WE HOPE NOT!!!!) Gary Oles nosboy

I'm not saying it is bad, I'm saying it is only effective for engines over 12-1 compression - been racing cars alot longer than I've been racing snowmobiles but I've got time slips to show that 103 unleaded blend turns better times than 103 leaded blend fuel - the unleaded fuels are composed or completly combustable elements - lead is not combustible - simple deduction - there is a big misconseption that too much octane will slow you down - it depends on the source of the octane - if it is from lead, yes it will slow you down - if it is from combustible elements, it creates power - Hot Rod magazine did dyno runs with different fuels and proved just what I am saying - I've experimented myself at the track and proved the same thing - that is what make these unleaded race fuels so cool - it is like a shot of NOS - BOY!!!!!

I raced sleds LONGER than I have raced cars,,, but,,,, the guys who race sleds are NOTHING LIKE the guys who race cars!!!! My challenger is 11.9 to 1 and it HATES unleaded fuel... WHY????????? I DUNNO!!!!!!!! It likes VP C14 and HATES sunoco fuels!!! I'm sorry,, I dont know enough about this 440 motor although it took a MONTH to put together ( what a NIGHTMARE INDY HEADS!!!!) the name NOSBOY was the 99SRX with NITROUS ran LOW TENS at the GROVE on ASPHALT before I FOUGHT with NHRA for 2 YEARS and finally sold it!!! needless to say,, I SOLD the SRX and NHRA finally permitted NITROUS!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a 560hp Olds that I took to the strip this summer for the first time - first runs were in the 11.9's - after a whole day of jetting and octane blending (mostly octane blending) had a best of 11.2 by days end - tempurature changed by -5 degrees, baro, and humidity were unchanged - best time was achieved with unleaded race fuel - engine is 10.5 compression and the best et was with 93.5 octane fuel - just for the record, 93.5 leaded fuel was .2 slower - I have applied this to my SRX with the same results - it seems to be the fastest on 94 octane unleaded race fuel blend - fuels are just another tuning device IMO!!! - the more you learn the more you learn!!!

Everyone tells me that my car will run better on 110?????? I tried 110 and EITHER I am ABSOLUTELY STUPID...OR... I am doing something wrong... but I notice NO difference??????????? I've been racing the challenger for 2 years and MOSTLY BREAKING PARTS for the last 2 years,,, but I made a couple of passes almost PERFECTLY CONSISTENT this past summer and I am waiting for SNOW FIRST and ,, in a few months,,,, SPRINGTIME!!!!!!

35.gif

nosboy said:
if you are looking to save a few dollars and NOT HAVE a pretty plastic cage to house your fitch,,, you could go to the OUTBOARD motor dealer and ask for a SACRIFICIAL ANODE that is probably bolted right to the tailshaft of 99% of outboard motors... (there's your hint)..Just as a anode protects your outboard motor,,,, the fitch will protect your snowmobile motor.. Its a LOT more complicated than that, but it has to do with dissimilar metals and OXIDATION!!!!

Gary. What you are talking about is galvanic corrosion. It occurs with two dissimilar metals in solution. On a molecular level, the "weaker" metal will give up electrons to the metal with the stronger stability. A simple test of this is for anyone with fillings, chew on some aluminum foil. The taste and sensation is galvanic corrosion in process. The anode on boats is typically zinc and will help minimize corrosion of other metal parts such as the drive system. How this helps fuel, I have no idea. Maybe the same principle, possibly.

You're pretty smart!!!! if you think about OXIDATION ( a form of Galvanic corrosion) and the principals of oxidation, you could figure out WHY it works.. You're in the RIGHT CHURCH maybe in the WRONG PEW?????? YES,, It has to do with electrons!!!

Well the research papers I've read seem to indicate that the Fitch Fuel Catalyst re-orientes the fuel molecules molecular chain into a form that results in better stability, octane ratings etc. etc. They also claim the catalyst treats the fuel by eliminating impurities (mold, bacteria yeats etc.) improving combustion.

I was hoping someone could comment on the molecular reorientation claims, because the point of this thread (which I started) was to discuss a specific product and its claims. Unless there is more to say on the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, I think we're done here.

OK. I don't know much about gasoline, I am not an expert, nor do I have a chemical engineering degree. I do know as far as gasoline is concerned, 8 is the magic number. Hence, the term octane, which is links of eight (carbon?) atoms in the petroleum. I also know that if there are seven, also known as heptane gasoline, then it is EXTREMELY sensitive to pressure and cannot be compressed very much without detonation. Octane is resistant to compression, therefore is more suitable to the internal combustion engine. The higher the octane rating, the more resistant to compression before detonation. That is why higher octane ratings are important to higher compression engines such as race engines and highly modified engines. And it is also why experts recommend not running any higher octane than necessary to eliminate knocking, thereby saving money. So with this in mind, I don't understand claims to how it realigns chains for better combustion, or whatever the claim is. And on that basis, I also don't understand how they can claim that it is good for all types of fuels, because the process for making gasoline out of crude oil is fairly complex. If this catalyst can do it on it's own, I'd like to know how. Understand that I am not a naysayer nor a skeptic. I have not enough knowledge to prove or disprove this product. I understand that some people are out to prey on other's ignorance, but I am not saying that Fitch is one of those people. If this is a legitimate product, I would like to know why. But I will NOT lose sleep over it, and I will not lose money over it until someone can explain a sensible reason TO ME, how it works.

Its Not a simple explanation that I can type in a couple of sentences.. If you understand how IONIZATION works, I could MAYBE explain it to you.... Gotta go to work right now, so,,, MAYBE TONIGHT!!!

jim @ dynotech has tested the fitch fuel catalyst on his dyno in back to back tests & found no increase in h.p. or fuel lbs. per hour.
i use them in my sleds. based on my experience i believe they do nothing for power or consumption but do keep the fuel fresher. it's cheap peace of mind.

bob

I agree with bob, thats why I want to start using them. with the ethanol fuel going sour so fast I figure it cant hurt :)

.....with the ethanol fuel going sour so fast I figure it cant hurt....

You aren't reading the thread close enough, they are ineffective on the negative characteristics of ethanol!!

Back