Drop brackets - the install

kgwmu

I started by creating a CAD layout to determine where the front hole should be. This made it easy to drill the hole later on.

Step 1: remove the skid and seat.

Step 2: drill out the rivets that hold on the rear skid mounting plate.
IMG_0223_.jpg

Step 3: use the temple from CB performace to mark the hole locations on the drop bracket then drill the holes. (I had already started to drill one of the holes in the picture)
IMG_0224-1.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Step 4: install the drop bracket with the nut and bolt provided, then follow the holes that you drilled in the bracket and drill through the tunnel and install the rivots.
IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

Step 5: drill the new hole for the middle mounting point. The hole should be 1.5" straight down and 0.10" towards the front of the sled. I created a paper templete to use it looked like the following. Hopefully this will also clear up the front to back hole movement. The two large circles are the current mounting holes front and middle.
drop_bracket_templete.jpg

Step 6: I installed the rear first then the middle, it was difficult, doing the middle first might be easier.

I need some adjustment yet but here are the final pics:
IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Rear bumper height on the SRX with a viper skid and the 2" drop
IMG_0252.jpg

Stock Viper height
IMG_0251.jpg

How long and difficult was this install. I am not a technician but nor am I an idiot. I would like to tackle this job on my Viper but wonder if I can do it myself?

It was tougher than I thought it would be, I am thinking of trying to make a template for the cent hole to post on here, I have 3 hole to make it RIGHT. I finally used aflat iron marked and drill thru stock holes then lowered the back 1.5" and drilled to keep the distance PERFECT! from the front shaft. I also installed the suspension without the shock springs and traveled the suspension thru its FULL travel

Did you have to do anything to the middle holes as far as reinforcement after they where drilled?

I didn't add any reinforcement since there was not any in the stock location.

Dnrtheil said:
What is the purpose of the drop brackets?

D

Maybe it just makes the sled look cool with the rear end jacked up, similar to putting big rear tires on your car or truck.

Cavitation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cavitation is a general term used to describe the behavior of voids or bubbles in a liquid. Cavitation is usually divided into two classes of behavior: inertial (or transient) cavitation and non-inertial cavitation. Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave. Such cavitation often occurs in pumps, propellers, impellers, and in the vascular tissues of plants. Non-inertial cavitation is the process where a bubble in a fluid is forced to oscillate in size or shape due to some form of energy input, such as an acoustic field. Such cavitation is often employed in ultrasonic cleaning baths and can also be observed in pumps, propellers etc.

Glad my sled does not produce bubbles - D

If I was to do this again,
I would use flat iron and drill the stock holes
then lower the back to the 3.5 and mark the center hole for perfect alignment
if you are going to use both holes in the rear bracket,
mark both holes for the center and drill one hole between the marks
I also used 1/4" carriage bolts ILO of rivets on the bracket IMO

Re: drop brackets

I jus got the drop brackets from cb performance, they were pretty simple to put on an the gives the sled a nice lift! But the suspension feels real stiff! I tryed adjusting it, but didnt seem to help much / for 99 vmax

RE: drop brackets

Ta i just went out and looked i forgot to relocate the middle bolt! Do i just have to lower it the 1.5" or take out the rivets and lower the whole bracket?

Back