powder bog gone completely

mightymg

well last weekend I rode in another few feet of fluff, and my bog is finally gone.. this is what I did to fix it

1 taped up the headlight area so the airbox only got air from the cold flows on the dash.

2 new plug caps and sealed them

3 new exhaust deflector from yamaha

4 Reasealed all the exhaust fittings wiht RTV on my pipes

5 Made a rubber exhaust donut for the belly pan for my tripples so the exhaust gas couldnt sneak back in.. now its gone and it performs amazing!!

SOUNDS GREAT I AM ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
really the only thing I havent tried is the spark plug boots and I put them on last night.
I am going to take apart my hood so I can really seal everything up around the head light good.
I madr a aluminum plate with three hole for the pipes to stick thru, what Yamaha deflector did you use? can you post a picture? I was thinking of adding onto mine to make it larger?

Got my ram air filter from Rich ( I think? or Mountain Performance)
I also think Fix TY sponsor has them?

Sounds like my setup exactly-never problems. The previous owner did most of it already, and he never had problems. Hey Boondocker, my Ram air vents are opend up and have prefilters installed. I have a pic posted under Ceramic Pipes today of my sled or look in the photo area under vipers, as I have a few pics there too of before and after pics of BLING-BLING my sled a bit.

Can anyone please share how you're sealing off the spark plug caps? I know you can buy the hard plastic caps that come with the rubber boots on the bottom, is that what you're using? I would like to stay with the soft rubber caps if possible, due to tight clearance on the #3 cylinder plug and my SLP pipes. I put a hard plastic cap on the #3 plug when I first got the sled because I was worried about the pipe being so close and melting the cap, but it would become brittle and fall apart over time due to the heat. I ended up adding a spring to pull the pipe away from the cap and went back to the soft rubber plug cap.

An old post but thought I would mention that I covered my plug cap with aluminum heat tape. Been running triple pipes since 02' and no problems.

Well, since I blocked off the openings around the headlight area so underhood air can't enter the air box I've had zero powder bog issues (takes cold air from flo-rites in dash). I'm running stock plug caps, stock exhaust deflector, I've always kept my pipes sealed up with high-heat silicon anyway, and I've even used my carb heaters a few times with no issues. Powder bog 100% gone.

when you say opening around the headlight, you are refering to small cracks and spaces that the snow dust can get thru correct. I did this last year but only got one day riding before the motor let go. I have always taped off the large air intake openings that the air box sucks under hood air from

..SNAKEBIT.. said:
when you say opening around the headlight, you are refering to small cracks and spaces that the snow dust can get thru correct. I did this last year but only got one day riding before the motor let go. I have always taped off the large air intake openings that the air box sucks under hood air from

What I mean is everywhere it looks like under hood air can get to the air box. Tried to block off every nook and cranny I could see. I have pics posted in the "infamous powder bog" thread. It's still getting some snow on the air box, haven't found where its coming from yet, but it apparently isn't enough to cause bogging because my bog is completely gone.

exhaust deflector

Does anybody have a picture of there exhaust deflector installed. I am installing one on my viper and am not sure if it goes over the exhaust or a little before it or a lot before it.

Back