What year is this SRV?

!!ZT!!

I recently picked up a SRV but have no idea what year it is. I purchased it from a scrap yard and this thing is in descent shape for 45$. I got it home, put gas on the plugs and it runs like a champ. It starts on the secod pull when sitting for a few days. As i started to clean it out i noticed the motor is not original but what i would assume is the ss440 motor as it is stamped 433 (i think ) on the block. I did get the original 540 motor minus the clutch and from what i can see there is no damage, cranks over nice, no scuff in the pistons etc. I will rebuild this engine and put it back in the machine eventually. I have looked on the web for a microfiche but cannot find anything on the 82 srv which i assume this is. The rear suspension looks to have been replaced to what looks like an arctic cat skid but i am not 100% sure. If anyone has a list of ser numbers/year it would be much appreciated or a pic of an 82.

Thanks

ZT

Thanks Guys for the replies,

I had seen that pic Viperer but mine has the grey belly pan and i dont have the V decals on my hood just a YAMAHA decal. Now it is very possible my hood and/or belly has been changed seeing this machine was at a salvage yard.

I took the numbers off the frame and engine which are:
frame: 8r6-04034
and engine:SA535-040679

I am planning on rebuilding the engine seeing its out of the sled at this time and wanted to make sure i had the right year engine when ordering parts. It has a 440 engine ( i assume the ss440) in it now which runs real good but this will give me a summer project.

Again thanks for the help it is much appreciated. If anyone can tell what year the engine is that would be great.

Cheers and happy sledding.

ZT

!!ZT!! said:
Thanks Guys for the replies,

I had seen that pic Viperer but mine has the grey belly pan and i dont have the V decals on my hood just a YAMAHA decal. Now it is very possible my hood and/or belly has been changed seeing this machine was at a salvage yard.

I took the numbers off the frame and engine which are:
frame: 8r6-04034
and engine:SA535-040679

I am planning on rebuilding the engine seeing its out of the sled at this time and wanted to make sure i had the right year engine when ordering parts. It has a 440 engine ( i assume the ss440) in it now which runs real good but this will give me a summer project.

Again thanks for the help it is much appreciated. If anyone can tell what year the engine is that would be great.

Cheers and happy sledding.

ZT
You still have the 535cc motor not a 440 I have an 82 also. I fianlly found all the proper parts for the orignial clutch. Get rid of the clutch IF it says 8r6 on the back, From what I have found that is the only year it was made(NO PARTS AVAIL.) Any more ?'s e-mail and I will try abd help. Steve

i would think that they made more than 679 srv's that year so i have to say it is a 82 engine. but to be sure you would need to find out how many srv's were made that year.

UPDATE on the SRV Project!

I went out and purchased a complete gasket kit for the original 540 this week. I replaced crank seals cleaned it all up and closed up the crank case. Seeing this motor was missing some external parts IE. magneto, recoil, fan pulley and fan guard. i took the parts off the 440 that was in the sled when i got it and all part were interchangeable except for the fan guard which i am now looking to purchase. As the rebuild was progressing smoothly i finally came to a snag! the reed cage gasket tthey supplied in the kit are too small! (minor issue) from what i read the 80-81 srv had diffrent horspower rating (can someone confirm) but from 83 on were all the same gasket kit/engine.

I am really getting into this rebuild as the cost to get this old sled back in to trail condition is very minimal so far. I took the frame to a local self wash and have the frame nice and clean and planning on polishing the aluminium tunnel as well and shinning up the cab. My next project is to determine which suspension the previous owner has dropped under this thing. From what i can tell and from other friends opinion it looks to be an Arctic Cat system.

Yama49601 You mentionned the engine is an SR540F model? anything diffrent with this model?

Again i would like to than k all you replied, your information is much appreciated!

Cheers

ZT

!!ZT!! said:
UPDATE on the SRV Project!

I went out and purchased a complete gasket kit for the original 540 this week. I replaced crank seals cleaned it all up and closed up the crank case. Seeing this motor was missing some external parts IE. magneto, recoil, fan pulley and fan guard. i took the parts off the 440 that was in the sled when i got it and all part were interchangeable except for the fan guard which i am now looking to purchase. As the rebuild was progressing smoothly i finally came to a snag! the reed cage gasket tthey supplied in the kit are too small! (minor issue) from what i read the 80-81 srv had diffrent horspower rating (can someone confirm) but from 83 on were all the same gasket kit/engine.

ZT
If I remember correct the older 440 Exciter engines ran 48 hp and the SS440 was 50hp. The early SRV's were set for 56 to run under the old "56 hp rule". :rulez: Yamaha advertised "Over 60 hp" for the 82 SRV, with a new stronger clutch. This was primarily due to the 81/82 SRX issues. I think I remember seeing something about the 81 srv having a 4 pedal reed and the 82 and up having a 3 pedal. Sounds like your having fun with the rebuild. Good luck.

8R6 on the frame confirms it is a 82 SRV. It may have a different hood or possibly belly pan pieces. The hood should be black and the belly pan as well. The rear skids are the same as the 81 SRV's. Runs a 121 inch track. The 82 SRV's should be pushing around 60 HP. They parts for these 82's are pretty easy to find. Most junk yards will have what you need.

Here is a picture of my 81 and 80.5.

They are a blast to drive.

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4554.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 25
80 -81 were 56HP
82-91 were 62ishHP - I think the cylinders are marked " 8R6 " if I remember correctly. I believe the 82-ups use the same reeds as the phazers(bigger) than the 80-81's....

Nice set of SR-Fives's 82SRX500 ! always loved the grey/blue/black SR-V's

66-67hp sounds kinda high - was that a pipe test with a PSI pipe?? Cool if it was actuall HP.I think I've got some of those old dynotech mags too.

vt700- I remember that part microfische from when i worked at a yamaha dealership here in Lansing,MI - the 80,81,82 parts lists are all combined - the 80-81 had the 8H8-11311-00-00 cylinder and the 82 had the 8R6-11311-00-00 cylinder. take a look - its not as detailed as it should be (anymore). I think I remember seeing in the later models 84 ~87 models you could order a 56Hp kit to "detune" them to race in certain class( formula56 maybe ?)right in the parts card from yamaha.

I wish I still had my 83' what a cool sled it was - good graphics - hell the suspension was just as good as my 95' vmax600 (same basic suspension)

Its stock- number 5 / 1991

14e9t1w.jpg

Interesting, the power dropped at the higher rpm consuming more fuel. That suggests to me, and admittedly I'm no expert. But it would seem that there is definetly more there with some tweaking. G.

Back