overhauling my xt350

Maim

Super Moderator
well as the snow messed up our radaring plans, i decided to tear my xt350 down for some nessasary maintenece/upgrades.

piston is going 1st over and the head and cams are going to webcams in california for a custom grind.

next will be the suspension upgrades once i finish gathering the parts. it is getting tt350 tripple tree and forks, tt rear shock and a tt350 aluminum swing arm. the swing arm is going to save almost 10lb of weight and the upgraded forks and shock will mean that it should fly/handle a lot better.

here is a link to the album where the teardown pics are.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/maim19/motorcycle teardown pics/

more pic's added in the photobucket link. going to be the end of august before i get my head back to put it together. so i bought a 2008 wr250x to ride. post some pics later.

added some pics of it going together. just waiting on a new timing chain tensioner before i fire it up.

houston we have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got it running for abou 1hr before a cam bolt came out and broke the timing chain. tore it down to replace it and found that i broke both timing chain guides in the base of the motor where they attach. now i need a new bottom endand timing chain guide.; fun fun fun. hope to have it running by spring. pisses me off now that we have some good fall riding weather.

it is alive again. running great and making my brother and a buddy fall in love with the power it now has and it is not even broken in yet. too bad i hyperextended my left knee on friday on my way to work with the wrx. 2-3 weeks of no bike.........or beer. damn this is going to be hard.

ouch.. 2-3 weeks of no bike riding??

That alone would hurt.

I ride my bike about 80 miles roundtrip today to run an errand. Even with gas at 2.50 a gallon, the bike still saves me a ton of $$ over the jeep.

This thread reminds me that I need to get the XR80R running.

well that is what was implied when i got done at emerg at 5:00am sat.

i usually use mine to go to work witch ends up being about 70km round trip. xt is actally cheaper than the wrx to run. xt is about $10.00 a week of 87 octane. wrx ends up being $12-14.00 a week of 91 octane. pickup is currently $60.00 a week to run on 87 octane.

heck i still have a 1979 cb550 to get running right so i can sell it. with the price of gas some one will want it.

well now that i am back on the bike (finally!) we have started playing with the jetting.

note to self: clean the airfilter 1st next time!!

have it set pretty close. just need to get a small bog out from when you give it a mild throttle increase from 5-7000rpm. if you wack it wide open it is fine but scary as it tried to walk the rear wheel out in 4th gear as i was passing a car in a corner today. 4 lane road and was dry and clean.

loving the power, just need to make it so it will live then we start on the suspension.

thought it might be time for another update. still chasing my tail with the jetting. have it set to stock atm as it was washing the oil from the cylinder walls at low rpms with the modded ports and air box.

Back