Replacing track on SRV

I WILL CHECK MY SERVICE MANUAL FOR YA. PROBLEY VERY SIMILAR TO 81 SRX OR VMAX 540. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
seems like the srv had set screws on the drivers. used an allen wrench,3mm i think, not a torks. probably rusted up so spray with a good penetrating oil first. rotate your drive shaft and you should see the set screws. they were hard to get to and a bitch to get out.

I POSTED EARLY ABOUT THOSE SET SCREWS AND EDITED BECAUSE I WAS NOT SHURE IF THE SRV HAD THEM LIKE THE SRX. THEY ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO GET OFF. 3:16 (yammie tony)

You guys have lost me! Are you talking about replacing the track with a newer internal drive unit that would require replacing the drivers, or just put a new track on it? G.

I was talking about replacing the track. I'm assuming I have to go through the chain case to do this.

You have to undo both sides! The drive shaft must be slid all the way over to one side in order to be removed completely in order to remove the track. There will be a bolt in the chaincase in the bottom gear into the shaft as well as a nut on the other side at the speedo drive head, it must be removed as well and if I'm not mistaken, the speedo drive head (three smaller bolts) will have to be removed as well.

Its not that bad of a job if you have something to lift the back of the sled and keep it there while you remove the track and suspension. Good time to disassemble, inspect and properly lubricate and repair any problems with the suspension too! I make up little grease zerk bosses and weld them on where Yamaha sometimes neglected to while I've got the suspension out. Of course I'm a little anal in that regard, I always say, if there just more lubrication in the world, there'd be a lot less friction! lol I like buying grease better than buying parts.

Good luck. G.

what yammiegod and i were trying to point out is that in order for that shaft to have enough clearance to move to the chain side for removal, the drivers have to be loosened! they will slide freely on the driveshaft once the set screws are loosened. that shaft has 4 drivers on it and the 2 outers wont let it move enough to get the shaft out of the tunnel. this is old school track change. you have to remove all that Gorkin stated, as well as loosening the drivers. hope this clears things up and not confused more.

I had no idea that the SRV's had 4 drivers! I've never had the pleasure......thankfully from the sounds of things! G.

Back