Interchange on suspension parts

BETHEVIPER

Life Member
Below is a list of the things that can interchange, update from one sled to another.

you can install long travel shocks from any pro action sled rear suspension into any other pro action sled, long or short travel as long as you use the longer limiter straps, longer transfer rods.

The above does not apply to the worrior/rage skid, they use longer side arms and longer rear shock. they can be used to up grade any other 136 pro action but they will need the side arms as well as the shocks. Front shock is the same as all other long travel front suspension shocks.

Transfer rods are all the same length on all pro actions. The difference is in the spacers. Spacers are what change where the coupling occurs in the suspension travel.

The above does not apply to 2000-2002 srx sleds, they came with shorter rods that bolt in a hole infront of the long rod hole. If you long travel this skid, you need to change these rods. Extensions can be made for the short rods but the long rods are so cheap used it is not worth the bother.

You can and should run polaris syle, 5 3/8 idler wheels on your skid. To do this you need to change out the plastic spacers inside. Your sled will roll easer and front slide wear will be reduced.

If you have a Rx1/vmax xt/venture/rage/worrior, your sleds shocks and side arms do not have bearings in them. For the rage and worrior,buy the arms from below and remove the bearings and seals. You will need to ream out the side arm ends about 1mm to accept the bearings and seals. For all others you can just buy a used set from a viper/sx/srx/xtc and install them.

The shocks from these sleds also should have bearings or at least have new bushings installed every year and greased. In all pro action sleds the center shock does not have bearings. Below are part numbers to install bearings in your center shock.

1 8CR-47465-00-00 upper W arm SHAFT
2 90381-19111-00 upper W arm BUSH,SOLID

2 90387-1009T-00 lower W arm COLLAR
4 90381-15112-00 lower W arm BUSH,SOLID

2 93315-21454-00 shock BEARING,CYLINDRICA
4 93109-14021-00 shock OIL SEAL,SDO-TYPE
4 90202-14226-00 shock WASHER,PLATE
2 90387-1007N-00 shock COLLAR

Front suspension

Yamaha has made 3 front cast sections. This is the part that all supension components bolt. They all can be rivoted into the frame.

vmax and viper are similar in how they use clevis style shock mounts up high in the belly pan
Viper and SRX are similar in how they bolt the rh motor mount
Srx and sx are similar in the length of front shock used
Sx sleds use a vmax cast section with brackets to use the shorter shocks.
Srx cast sections can only use short travel shock unless a custom brackets are made.
Sx and srx cast secions share the same radius rod hole spacing
Viper cast sections use their own radius rod hole spacing that is wider.

Trailing arms are many different colors but the difference physicly is this.
Viper/Venture/Vmax using low mount skis have a longer spindle housing to make up for the lower mount hole in ski. They are about 1in longer, or taller depending how you look at it.
Vmax/Venture/Sxr trailing arms that use the steel skis or the usi style high mount plastic ski have the shorter spindle housing but have similar caster angle to the above trailing arms for long travel front ends.
Srx/Sx short travel trailing arms use the same short spindle housing as the above trailing arms but have a few less degrees of caster made into them.

Spindles
All short spindle housing trailing arms have the same spindle
All long spindle housing trailing arms with aluminum steering arms use the same spindle
All long spindle housing trailing arms with steel steering arms use the same spindles.
All long spindles that use the aluminum steering arms will interchange with rx1 spindles.

thats all for now

I wrote to you about putting Viper front shocks on an SRX last year and told you that I had Hauck Brackets that you said might work. Do you have a pic. of the long travel bracket?

Thanks, John.

To add to the trailing arms... Each arm has a letter stamped into the front of it which will help you identify what sled it should go on. I'll get the letters for a SRX and SXR and post back if someone could post what the Viper ones are. I can't remember off hand. The letter is on the front where the radius rods bolt...

Betheviper - Thanks for the info. Ive been contemplating long traveling my 01 srx and this definatly helped clear up some of the questions I've had lingering. This info is awesome. Thanks again.

Will's Pics

Scott,

Here are the pic's.

Thanks,
Will

Attachments

• SRX 001 Large e-mail view.jpg
    SRX 001 Large e-mail view.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 73
  • SRX 002 Large e-mail view.jpg
    SRX 002 Large e-mail view.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 60
  • SRX 003 Large e-mail view.jpg
    SRX 003 Large e-mail view.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 58
  • SRX 006 Large e-mail view.jpg
    SRX 006 Large e-mail view.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 52
  • SRX 007 Large e-mail view.jpg
    SRX 007 Large e-mail view.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 59
please post pictures of the sled hanging from the rear bumper. one setting with no one on it.
one with you setting on the sled so i can see the trasnfer rods.

Scott,

I don't even have my transfer rods connected. I can stand from behind it and push down on the grab bar and only be able to move it about a inch. I am 190lbs and putting all my weight into it. I'm thinking that the shocks are to tight. I will take a picture later for you. When I mounted up my transfer rods from the 98 SRX they would only fit in the holes that were the forward ones not where the original one's mounted for the Viper. I was going to mount the original transfer rods in this week but do not want to mess with it until I find out why the suspension won't compress. I guess that is why I focused on sending pictures of where the spanner nuts were at. I appreciate your help and will get those pictures out tonight.

Thanks,
Will

you have the fra in the stiffest setting. if the shock is set a little on the stiff side it will make it even worse.

long rods are mounted in the rear holes on the skid.

total length of the spring if it is a viper spring (non update) shouldn't be shorter than 14in.
front spring if it is a stock viper (multirate)shouldn't be shorter than 8in

Scott,

I finally had time to adjust the rear spring. It was set just below 14", I took it to about 15" and put it back in. I have travel now but still need to take a measurement of the front and make adjustments there if needed. Can I use my stock 98 transfer rods in the viper skid since there is two sets of holes.

Will

Do you know of anybody who makes upper shock brackets for putting sxr style clevis end shocks on a 2001 srx. I'm putting an edge PPS2 skid in the rear, but want to make sure I'll be able to fix up the front. I think I also have to use sxr trailing arm, or will the re-mount of the upper shock position make up for the extra travel? :letitsnow

you dont need the trailing arms, you do need brackets. I have made them in the past but time was a problem. I am now having a machinist make them up for me. should be a few more weeks. Ill post when they are ready.

they allow you to mount viper shocks to srx and i also sell a widening kit for same.

Hope they're ready soon. I will be trying to put works shocks up front from a 2001 sxr to complement the edge rear in the srx. I had them w/ M-10 on my sxr, but hated the lack of transfer with the M-10, so I'm gonna try the edge in the srx and put the stock shocks back up front for the now "spare" sxr. Other than the hook up/transfer problem, that setup was awesome in the bumps. :2strokes:

I was looking through the FAQ and came across a suspension interchange you put out a while ago. I have a couple of questions if you could please help me out.
The sled in question is a 2003 Viper Mountain (which came with the steel/non-rebuildable shocks.) I also have a set of aluminum bodied shocks for the rear skid that are presumably rebuildable and I was told they come off a Vmax XTC.

You provided the following list for components required to install a bearing setup in the center shock:

(1) 8CR-47465-00-00 upper W arm SHAFT
(2) 90381-19111-00 upper W arm BUSH,SOLID
(2) 90387-1009T-00 lower W arm COLLAR
(4) 90381-15112-00 lower W arm BUSH,SOLID

(2) 93315-21454-00 shock BEARING,CYLINDRICAL
(4) 93109-14021-00 shock OIL SEAL,SDO-TYPE
(4) 90202-14226-00 shock WASHER,PLATE
(2) 90387-1007N-00 shock COLLAR

I understand the second grouping of parts, but I am unclear on the first (top) grouping of parts. What are those parts and where are they needed. Would they be at all applicable to a Mountain Viper?
This second grouping also looks like the same list of parts I would need to put bearings in the rear shock as well with the exception that I would not need the (2) collars as they are already on the shock. Can anyone please verify if this is correct? My ultimate goal is to put aluminum bodied rebuildable shocks in my skid and have bearings instead of bushings at all pivot points.

the first group of part numbers are a list of parts needed to make your w arm tight, on a mountain sled, this might be an H arm, depending on year. havent ever had anything other than a mountain srx in my possession.
the lower set of numbers are yamaha part numbers for the bearings, seals and bushings enough to do 1 front track shock. your rear shock you got, aluminum should have bearings and seals in it already. if it didn't come with the collars for it, you will need to buy them as the ones in a gas bag bushing shock is different.

if it came with gas shocks, you may want to make sure there are bearings in the side arms that run along the side of the rear shock. usually, but not allways, they use bushings with the gas shock. if it has them, change them out for ones with bearings.
if you have some side arms with bearings, you can use those bearings and seals to do your front track shock with, instead of new. you would then just need the washers and collars.

on the rear shock, you will need the washers listed above for the rear as well if the shock didn't come with them. on a buhsed shock, the washer is made onto the bushing.

Thanks for the clarification.
I pulled my extra shocks out last night and as you stated, the rear shock already had the bearing setup at both ends, including the washers and spacers where it bolts up to the FRA.
I'll have to check the side arms you mention, not sure I even have them. There was something called a transfer enhancement kit in my sled when I bought it which eliminated certain parts including the control rods.
Thanks again for the help.

transfer enhanement is the removal of your transfer rods and the addition of a strap to hold the rear arm from over exending, bending your side arms and or damaging the end of the shock on the sissor.

the side arms in question are gold, flat bars with pipe welded at each end, run along the side of the shock.

Okay so I have a 98 vmax 700. I am looking to spend some money and add a longer skid/track package as well as a tunnel extension. What newer/longer skids are compatible with my current sled. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

it depends on how easy/difficult you are willing to tackle. I would look for a ski doo skid.

Back