Power Valve installation Question

rz500

Which way should the power valves face in a Viper? Should the large angle cut face up or down? Stupid me for not taking note when I took it apart.

Thanks

rz500 said:
Which way should the power valves face in a Viper? Should the large angle cut face up or down? Stupid me for not taking note when I took it apart.

Thanks

the large face (as you call it) would face down like mrviper stated. that large face on the valve, should match up to the contour of the exhaust port. when you set/adjust your valves, set them so that the large face ends up flush with the roof of the exhaust port, when the servo motor pulls the valves out as far as it can.

It feels really nice to clean them yourself without having to pay anyone to do it. I did mine this spring for the very first time. I doubt it had ever been done before, and I have 4500kms on the sled.
Here's a before and after...
Soaked the valves in gasoline and then scraped off whatever I could with an utility blade.
I'm using nothing but Amsoil Interceptor now.
I wonder how much those valves were robbing me on top end. Can't wait for the radar runs this season! :)
April25-27008.jpg

Be careful in using any metal objects to scrath off the carbon. Not good if you gouge or scrape off any of the coating on the valves. This will just give carbon an better place to stick to. Better off soaking them for a while in a good solvent.

--Steve (O.C.)

Good point. I read what most people were using to scrape the carbon off, so I was very carefull. I only used the edge of the blade, and not the tip to scrape.

NY AttakGT said:
Be careful in using any metal objects to scrath off the carbon. Not good if you gouge or scrape off any of the coating on the valves. This will just give carbon an better place to stick to. Better off soaking them for a while in a good solvent.

--Steve (O.C.)

the right way to install power valves

The first picture is the right way to install valves, the second is the wrong way.

Attachments

• powervalve_001.JPG
    powervalve_001.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 141
  • powervalve_002.JPG
    powervalve_002.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 109
Great pics! Easy to understand... that big and small face was confusing I thought.
xsled2000 said:
The first picture is the right way to install valves, the second is the wrong way.

Thanks for the help guys. Thats what made the most sense to me, but I started second guessing myself.

I got to tell you guys. I cleaned my pv last spring ran Amsoil Interceptor Oil, last season. Took them out just a week ago to clean and was kinda disappointed. I thought they would have been not as gummed up. I rode about a 1000 miles last season.

It feels really nice to clean them yourself without having to pay anyone to do it. I did mine this spring for the very first time. I doubt it had ever been done before, and I have 4500kms on the sled.
Here's a before and after...
Soaked the valves in gasoline and then scraped off whatever I could with an utility blade.
I'm using nothing but Amsoil Interceptor now.
I wonder how much those valves were robbing me on top end. Can't wait for the radar runs this season! :)
April25-27008.jpg

just a heads up. i dont know what kind of oil you used that gunked up your valves, but i can tell you that both me and a friend bought that Amsoil Intercepter thinking that it was the best. we both have Yam. 700 SRX's and rode with each other for 500 miles using that Amsoil Intercepter. After 500 miles of that oil we pulled our valves. I had 2 pull throughs (where the cable pulls through the end of valve wrecking them) and the third valve was stuck. My friend had the same results having to use a vice grip to pull one valve free. We cleaned our valves.. i had to replace 2 that amounts to $$$ and time trying to find them. We then sucked that amsoil out of both our oil tanks. i put Klotz oil in mine and my friend used Yamalube.. We rode another 500 miles together, checked our valves. Both our sleds valves were in good shape. the valves had some carbine on them but none were stuck or broke. I will personally never use Amsoil again in my sled, cant afford to pay for valves. This is just our opinions,, but we ran the miles and the valves dont lie. good luck if you chose to use it. I hope you have better results, but i know what i would bet my $$ on.

I had the same result using amzoil dominator. I now use yamalube after a lot of research on this site and it has been good on valves so far compared to the amzoil.

I use nothing but amsoil intercepter in my race sled, valves are spotless every season

I'm having The same issue with amz dominator only like 700 kms on them and I could barly get one out , I'll be going to get a case of yamalube , it's funny how not always the most expencive is the best

just a heads up. i dont know what kind of oil you used that gunked up your valves, but i can tell you that both me and a friend bought that Amsoil Intercepter thinking that it was the best. we both have Yam. 700 SRX's and rode with each other for 500 miles using that Amsoil Intercepter. After 500 miles of that oil we pulled our valves. I had 2 pull throughs (where the cable pulls through the end of valve wrecking them) and the third valve was stuck. My friend had the same results having to use a vice grip to pull one valve free. We cleaned our valves.. i had to replace 2 that amounts to $$$ and time trying to find them. We then sucked that amsoil out of both our oil tanks. i put Klotz oil in mine and my friend used Yamalube.. We rode another 500 miles together, checked our valves. Both our sleds valves were in good shape. the valves had some carbine on them but none were stuck or broke. I will personally never use Amsoil again in my sled, cant afford to pay for valves. This is just our opinions,, but we ran the miles and the valves dont lie. good luck if you chose to use it. I hope you have better results, but i know what i would bet my $$ on.

Bringing a post back from the dead (7+ years) just to bash Amsoil........You short selling their stock or what? Lets us know when you try the mayo Super1c......I am a miracle whip guy but could buy some mayo if it works!

Now I don't or ever had power valves. And I'm sure something like this has been tried. I have used the Yamaha Carburator dip to get rid of carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. I can usually saturate the affected area and let it sit for a day. Come back and it's all been liquified.
I would also think that if ya went down to the thrift store, one could pick up an old, awful colored, avocado or orange colored 1970s era crockpot. Then place the entire can of carb dip inside the crockpot. Something like Berryman.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Back