Setting stock 02 Viper up for High Altitude...Need Help

02viperstinghurts

I have an 02 Viper Short track that is stock other than an MBRP race can. I live in MN (sled is set for MN right now) and will be traveling to Cooke City, MT the first week of December and I would like some support as to what all I should do to prepare the sled for a trip like this without spending thousands of dollars. I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
The elevation I will be riding I know is 8000-10000 ft at around 0-20 F. Here is what I have done so far:
-installed a new 1.25 Ripsaw
-re geared from a 22 tooth top gear to a 20 tooth
- had my shocks rebuilt/revalved
-building a seat wedge/subframe to make the seat higher
- 6" Rox handlebar riser

What should I do for jetting? What about clutching/clutch weights/springs,etc? Any suggestions on how to make it run good at 8000-10000 feet or other things I need to know would be great as this will be my first time mountain riding.

:2strokes:

You can jet/clutch it right off the chart from the factory and it will be pretty decent. Or look at the specs for a mtn viper and use those.

That 121 ripsaw isn't going to make much of a mountain climber though. Depending on the snow you might get frustrated with the amount of time you spend digging out.

If you have a service manual it will say under elevation specs what to use. I ask the same question on here a few weeks ago and was told to follow the service manual. But just in case I am bringing a few extra clutch rivets and a few sizes of main jets. Here are the pages from the manual in case you don't have one.

Attachments

• HA_Clutch.JPG
    HA_Clutch.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • HA_Jetting.JPG
    HA_Jetting.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 42
I've never played with a viper, but on all my other yamahas the jetting from the factory chart was quite close for the elevation. Clutching I don't know cause I've got a guy that I talk with that helps set me up with elevation clutching.

We had an 05 Viper last year melt down on us. We even went off the chart. But the other one we have is just fine. So take what the chart says with a grain of salt because it also depends on the fuel you are going to be running because that is what happened in our melt down. One word-FUEL.

So now we are stuck trying to decide what we should run the next time.

I know this is not the answer your looking for, but something to consider. You can not do enough to a 1.25" x 136" track sled to ride off trail, really play and have fun. You will spend all your time digging out or getting others to help you dig out. As soon as you are off trial during a good year you will be in 2'-3' of powder or more. I have rode near Cook and not seen my hands for miles of powder. I have rode with guys with short tracks from back East, they end up not having fun or worse. Rent a Mountain sled and have a ball. If you come out and don't rent a Mtn, Have fun and I hope I'm wrong.

Jet and clutch off of the factory charts. I have done that many times going to Cooke from ND. You will have a blast even on the short tracker. You will be craving a long track when you are there though. That is what happened to me and my sleds have just gotten longer since then. I would make sure your rear shid is set up to transfer so you can keep the front end out of the snow also. I always let the limiter straps out quite a bit to keep the weight off of the skis for the deep.

Long track it..............Even if it's only 136. The previous owner of my viper could not beleive the difference when he stretched mine to 136. He went with a 6 pitch and said he was able to go places he wouldn't dare try when it was 121............

151 Viper...what did u use for jetting and clutching on ur viper when you went to Cooke? Also what did you run for fuel...premium? nonoxygenated? race gas? I heard it makes a difference when it comes to jetting.

Also do you think I should invest in a set of straight rate springs for the front shocks, the viper is heavy in the front and sits low even after I just had my schocks rebuilt/revalved, the factory dual rate springs really sag...any ideas as to where I could get a set and how much. I would like to get the front up instead of having a plow in the powder. :)

Mighty...your M10 looks sweet!!! Someday maybe. Just put on a new 121 ripsaw, prob do 136 next year, I bet it does make a difference though! Wish I had more time and money to do it before Cooke.

I ran the 143.8 a couple times then I went with the 141.3 a few more times which gives it a little better power. I would not run the 141.3. If the forecast calls for sub zero weather I would consider the 143.8 but if it looks like it is going to be above zero then they will be fine. My sled also had a MBRP can on it and carbon tech reeds. Most of the riding at Cooke is 9000+ so you should be able to jet a little on the lean side. If you are parking at the pilot creek lot the elevation there is a couple thousand feet lower so you will want to keep wide open runs there to a minimum. As far as gas I just ran premium. What ever you do you should probably check your plugs and piston wash to make sure you are not to lean. We have been going there for 6 years now and there are still guys going with us that have 121x 1.25 tracks and they get along just fine with some effort and common sense. I have seen a good setup 121 give a marginal setup 136 a run for it's money so don't let that get you down. Chassis setup is key for the deep. I just ran the stock front shocks without problems.

Just make sure to do plug checks often on the low, mid, and top to make sure your safe, whatever jetting you go with.

02viperstinghurts said:
I have an 02 Viper Short track that is stock other than an MBRP race can. I live in MN (sled is set for MN right now) and will be traveling to Cooke City, MT the first week of December and I would like some support as to what all I should do to prepare the sled for a trip like this without spending thousands of dollars. I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
The elevation I will be riding I know is 8000-10000 ft at around 0-20 F. Here is what I have done so far:
-installed a new 1.25 Ripsaw
-re geared from a 22 tooth top gear to a 20 tooth
- had my shocks rebuilt/revalved
-building a seat wedge/subframe to make the seat higher
- 6" Rox handlebar riser

What should I do for jetting? What about clutching/clutch weights/springs,etc? Any suggestions on how to make it run good at 8000-10000 feet or other things I need to know would be great as this will be my first time mountain riding.

:2strokes:

One more suggestion. If you pull off the trail in deep powder, step off your sled and sink up to your arm pits in snow it is really hard to pee. If you ever plan to come to Colorado and ride, e-mail me. if I'm around I will show you some great stuff, if you have a long track (151 to 162 2").

Back