change chain case oil??

ottercreeks

OK, i have never done this before so i have a few questions, I am starting to do my own maintenance on my sleds and i want to change the chain case oil

sled
2003 Vmax 600er

My first question, is there and where is the drain plug?

second is there anything else i should do at this time?

sled is running fine and this is just regular maintenace. Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard...have you tried the search feature here...if so, then you have the most up to date info you need...however you may need a little help from time to time, just ask...most will chime right in. If you reach under the floorboard right under the chaincase area inside the tunnel I "think 10mm", you will feel two or more bolts. One is the drain bolt the other is a 12mm. you should drain it at room temp; & then you replace drainbolt-make sure not to overtighten...add new oil, through the dipstick & yes there will be gum/gunk on the dipstick-wipe it clean, yes there is a magnet at the end of the D/S to catch the shavings off the gears & chain-ahh??? what type of oil you say...lots of opinion here on this subject on this site, most will put you in the right direction. I however use amsoil auto syn. trany oil & change it out every 30 days during the season=2 to 3 times...cheap & easy to do, with peace of mind... ;)!

theblues sumed it up good as always,i'll just add i like removing the chain cover and rinsing the chain/housing down with break clean to remove
all the crap and old oil,then i re fill with a full synthetic 75w90 gear
oil(amsoil)..

nice sled you got there,you'll get many many years outa it. :wel:

Yea i heard ATF was alright to use, but i just go out and buy amsoil Chaincase oil... I use amsoil everything in my sled.

the guy at the shop told me a good atf and gear lube 50 50 mix was really good to use last year i had a cat 580 zr i bent the chain case when i snapped a chain so i was looking to get a cheep solution to lube the new chain since the chain case leaked so every time i would stop on a trale i would just dump a lil bit in then the sled blue a piston ill tell u what cats are a waste of money

YA*AM*A*HEAD said:
i would like to but its 45 minuites to a store that carrys amsoil ..oil and chain case oil
You could make the trip worth it by picking up extra oil,anyway Mobil 1 makesa good 75w90 too,any synthetic oil(trans,gear) will work,this gets brought up evrey year,lol.

if its the firs time its been changed i would pull the cover and spray everything off with brake cleaner. it will be nasty in there!! then you can ADJUST THE CHAIN! its really easy. put the cover back on and fill with synthetic chain case lube of your choice. i have been using the polaris brand cause its a full syn and its reasonably priced. i would prefer amsoil but its harder to come buy around here. you can also use syn gear lube or atf. its up to you. just make sure that you adjust the chain.

djdarkmunk said:
the guy at the shop told me a good atf and gear lube 50 50 mix was really good to use last year

I never considered a blend.......

It's my understanding that using straight ATF requires a little more frequent changes depending on your mileage for the season. I just use 'crappy tire's' synthetic 75w90 gear oil. Change once a year.

I just bought a 2002 vmax600er I am trying to change the gear case oil but I don't see or feel any drain plugs or bolts under the cover. I was just gonna pull the cover off and clean everything out. Are there only 4 bolts that hold the cover on? If I pop the cover off is anything gonna pop or slide off that I should be aware of?

you do not have to pull the cover to drain the oil. there is a bolt with a copper washer on it inside the tunnel by the drive axle that is the drain.

Maim,can you give me a bit more guidance on finding that bolt? Is it on the backside on the bottom because I couldn't feel anything on the front side.

Back