What do you get for gas mileage?

I get about 5-8 mpg in my piped viper. Maybe a little more if i rode it real easy, but i like to ride sleds how they were meant to be ridden.

dirtjumper895 said:
I get about 5-8 mpg in my piped viper. Maybe a little more if i rode it real easy, but i like to ride sleds how they were meant to be ridden.

Ditto ! I got 7 with my Viper last year since they started pumping the methanol in the gas !! And most of that was trail riding. Not many wide open and powder runs. If you want to get milage out of a Viper keep it stock. The thing that sucks the most is finding gas every 75 miles !

just checked my viper after riding 26 miles i put in 7.66 gals 3.6 mpg not good but its piped high comp heads and geared down im 250lbs rider and it'll stand straight up on take off I put in the atacc system and didn't get any better miliage like it said i would but oh well I shouldn't have to jet anymore. It's usually full throttle though. that makes a differance. Never rode it easy so i don't know how good of miliage i could get.

brndnrsm said:
just checked my viper after riding 26 miles i put in 7.66 gals 3.6 mpg not good but its piped high comp heads and geared down im 250lbs rider and it'll stand straight up on take off I put in the atacc system and didn't get any better miliage like it said i would but oh well I shouldn't have to jet anymore. It's usually full throttle though. that makes a differance. Never rode it easy so i don't know how good of miliage i could get.
Damn i thought my v-4 was bad...lol!!

Now that I have installed Turk's Clutching recommendations on my 99 700 SX, it gets better every fuel stop than my wifes 600 DLX. Not sure exactly the milage but I think I am getting upwards of 16 mpg now.

alswagg said:
Still, the 4 strokes really do not get any better milage than the 2 strokes. It does depend on how you ride.
I've owned several Yamaha 4-strokes and the worst milage I ever got was 15 on my Attak when it was brand new. Once broken in riding it hard I averaged around 17. Tell me a 2-stroke besides Doo's etecs that will get that kind of fuel milage riding hard? Don't forget the 2-smoke oil needed too.

Mighty said:
I've owned several Yamaha 4-strokes and the worst milage I ever got was 15 on my Attak when it was brand new. Once broken in riding it hard I averaged around 17. Tell me a 2-stroke besides Doo's etecs that will get that kind of fuel milage riding hard? Don't forget the 2-smoke oil needed too.

My 2000 xc600 sp VES gets right around there. I easily get 16 even riding it hard. I bet me being 240 lbs without gear on doesn't hep either.

Our 94 indy 500 efi gets the same mpg as my sled, but with obviously like around 40 hp less. Our 96 XCR600 only managed slightly less mpg than either the indy500, or my XCSP. Now the Venture, it gets around 10, but I have not checked mpg since we got it all dialed in. It seems a tad better than before.

I seem to be using around a pt. of yamalube for every 6.5 to 7 gallons. This seems to be a little low on the oil consomsion. I am guessing around 65 to 1 on oil mix. The wifes 600 uses about the same oil but more fuel. The Phazer II uses even less oil than either of our tripples.

yamachuck said:
13 -16 on a 04 viper just put m 10 in we will see.torquer clutch kit and secoundary roller
I average right around the same mileage with my stock 03 Viper, highest I ever got was 17.5 mpg.

Got 13-15 mpg on a 1985 Phazer. After adding a cold air package and not changing jets, it got 15-17.
8-12 mpg on a 1997 500 Venture.

Last edited:
I get 12-15 on my 02 Viper ER. The lower number if we go off-trail and play in the powder.

Also, with a new Yamaha belt, my mileage can improve by as much as 2-3 mpg over a belt with a full season on it.

bender 800sxr w/ reverse. 160h.p.. got 12.01 mpg today on our marginal wny trails. should be around 14 mpg on good trails.

bob

Wow, that thing must really be jetted and tuned in to get 12 especially with triple pipes I'd assume?Is it possible to do good with bender triples on my 700, most guys I know running 'em are lucky to get 8-9 mpg.

I did a 115 mile trip yesterday and used 6 gals (19mpg) on my 4 stroke. As stated before it depends on how important fuel economy is to you.

my mileage seems to have gone up since i changed out the 1" predator for a 1" hacksaw track.
safe jetting for bender's on stock 700sx is 47.5 pilots & 147.5 mains.

bob

14.9 mpg out of my 780 BB SRX, with 40.5mm carbs, on groomed trails with very soft snow conditions (snowed the night before, and had minimal traffic). I am expecting 16-17 mpg in perfect hard packed, icy conditions. It's my economy sled :)

Yes Bob, I got your message, but was working, so I couldn't get back to you. I was thinking about heading down to see Jim at Dynotech somewhere between the 3rd and the 6th. Hopefully he can fit us in there. We still need to find a set of pipes for that 600 first.

I run a Camoplast 9791 for a track (0.725" lug), with 96 1" Woody's GoldDiggers.

Back