What do you get for gas mileage?

vMaxed Out

I am thinking about selling or trading in my sled and buying a newer Yamaha. Maybe like a SRX, Viper, or possible even going 4 stroke. My question is what are you gets getting for gas mileage with your sleds? My vmax gets about 7 mpg but I know I can tune it and get about 10mpg. I'm just trying to see if its worth buying another 2 stroke or going to a 4 stroke. I was told the Nytro's only get about 15 mpg. Is that true? Thanks!

well how bad do want to get good MPG's??? is it top top priority? then go
4 stroke...

2 smokers(tripple) are only going to yeald ya 11-14 on a good day..depending on if there piped or stock...

I get 9MPG if I'm lucky with my current setup. Before all my mods, I got 13-14MPG all day!

alswagg said:
99 SX 700 gets 14mpg my sons 93 Phazer get 12, go figure.

I think that the fan sucks a lot of power. We have a L/C fuji 488 indy 500, and an older 488 fuji fan cooled indy trail. The FC machine only gets around 10 mpg (modded a bit) and the LC indy 5 gets 15 mpg. Granted the LC one is EFI, but I have had several friends with carbed indy 500's and they get the pretty much the same mpg as our EFI one. Then there is the 20 hp extra the LC mill adds.....

Our 97 venture with smart carbs gets like 9mpg now, but I suspect that will get a little better with a new oilpup not dumping in oil.

13-16 mpg when trail riding with the jetting and clutching fom turk on here.Its obviously less when riding powder or off trail ect.When my sled was stock it was only 10-12 mpg on average.

blkmax600 said:
The tripple is very good on gas as far as two strokes go. The twins on the other hand really enjoy the fuel.

I was thinking the same. Now if you have triple pipes on it, well, it may not get much better than the yamaha twins. Typically twins are worse on fuel than triples, regardless of manufacturer.

I recall all my friends 500/550/ 580/ 600 twin cats getting no better than 9 mpg just like my venture. Maybe I am just spoiled with the 15+ mpg my xc600sp gets. The formula Plus I has was great on gas as it was, like 20 mpg, but only 75 hp. Having FAST work on it made it destroy those ZR580's but mpgs went to the 9-10 from the 20. Gas mpg actually went up after I put a 617cc twin RAVE from a mach 1 motor in it, and I actually gained power from that built 521cc motor.

ported red head,triple pipes extended to 136. its kinda like heavy equipement, figure it out in gallons per hour!!!, doesnt hurt as much

Pat

2003 Yamaha Viper 700

I have a zx2 rear suspension and I can get between 225km-250km on a tank of fuel or about 145 miles on average. 45 Litre tank. You do the math :-)

My Red Head got far better mileage then the F-7's and ZR's i ride with, but that was last year before any mods were done...we'll see this year.

Last winter we were riding at Ironwood MI, Here are the sleds, 2007 Nitro, 2 2007 Apex, 2001 600 dlx sx, 99 700 sx, 93 485 Phazer. We ran I would say pretty hard and long, Everyone was worried about fuel. We all ran same miles, same trails same speeds. The Phazer used the less, I was totally surprise, as was the owners of the 4 strokes. Now the 4 strokes were always in the lead, and at every intersection they were waiting for us. Still, the 4 strokes really do not get any better milage than the 2 strokes. It does depend on how you ride.

Never really checked.When it needs it I put it in.I know I'm always within a couple of bucks of my sons 440F MXZ.Low fuel light usually doesn't come on until you get around 120-125 miles.My nephew had a regular 02 Viper while mine is an ER.His was quite a bit better on fuel.
We did a long trip in 05 after he replaced the Viper with a Vector.We ride pretty much the same and at one fuel stop I put in $32 worth of regular and he put in $18 worth of super.I've never rode with a sled that sipped fuel like that Vector.

alswagg said:
Last winter we were riding at Ironwood MI, Here are the sleds, 2007 Nitro, 2 2007 Apex, 2001 600 dlx sx, 99 700 sx, 93 485 Phazer. We ran I would say pretty hard and long, Everyone was worried about fuel. We all ran same miles, same trails same speeds. The Phazer used the less, I was totally surprise, as was the owners of the 4 strokes. Now the 4 strokes were always in the lead, and at every intersection they were waiting for us. Still, the 4 strokes really do not get any better milage than the 2 strokes. It does depend on how you ride.

Doesn't surprise me much, I've NEVER seen worse than 14mpg out of my 90' Phazer II and that tank was spending all day in powder off the trail. Trail cruising EASY with the family I've gotten as good as 20mpg with it, and averaged 15-17mpg riding hard on groomed trails. Easy to figure out though with a ~400# dry weight + lower revving 2 stroke + a light 1/2" lug track with little suspension travel = Good MPG. My SX600R averages 12mpg and I've seen a worst of 10mpg and a best of 14mpg Often my SX-R needs gas about the same time as the phazer and the SX-R has a 5 gallon bigger tank.

Back