Reverse on an 90 Phazer?

Daring

Has anyone installed reverse on a 90 Phazer II? I would love to have reverse on my sled.

Last edited:

I was looking at the part Diagrams. It looks like I would have to mod mine to use the Venture gear case. I wish I had one to really get a good look at it before committing to the conversion.

i seen a Phazer Mountain Lite for sale one time, a 1996 i think it was??? Anyways the guy who had it somehow rigged up a reverse kit for it, but thats all i know, so i geuss it is possible

I am going to be making a Venture/Phazer hybrid. I haven't gotten into it yet, but had assumed that the Venture chaincase bolts in the same way. The
Venture jack shaft will have to be used. You would have to cut the hood for the reverse lever and there may be interference with the fairing and the lever. I will be using the Venture hood and the Phazer fairing and windshield. The fairing and/or the lever could be modified for clearance. Also the fairing and steering can be raised with a riser block which I will be doing anyway.

PZ 1 said:
I am going to be making a Venture/Phazer hybrid. I haven't gotten into it yet, but had assumed that the Venture chaincase bolts in the same way. The
Venture jack shaft will have to be used. You would have to cut the hood for the reverse lever and there may be interference with the fairing and the lever. I will be using the Venture hood and the Phazer fairing and windshield. The fairing and/or the lever could be modified for clearance. Also the fairing and steering can be raised with a riser block which I will be doing anyway./QUOTE]

Let me know how it turns out. I am very interested.

Last edited:
Just for a referance I went and looked at a 97' Phazer II Mountain Lite yesterday and It had Reverse and Electric start on it from the factory. If I remember right they changed to a different style chain in 91', I'm not sure if the cases remained the same between 90 and 91. If I get this 97' I'll compare the chain case to my 90.

It should be do able. A buddy's cat failed him and he rented a phazer 485 FC based venture a number of years ago. We ran that in reverse down the road at 30-40 mph, and then spun the skis around doing 180's with 2 of us on it at a time. No alcohol was involved , yeah right. LOL

Hindsight after like 12 years tells me we were lucky, and didn't get hurt, or even scratch the rental sled. Unfortunately I have done worse.

BlueIronRanger said:
Just for a referance I went and looked at a 97' Phazer II Mountain Lite yesterday and It had Reverse and Electric start on it from the factory. If I remember right they changed to a different style chain in 91', I'm not sure if the cases remained the same between 90 and 91. If I get this 97' I'll compare the chain case to my 90.

The 1990 was the old tripple chain and somewhere 1991-1994(?) Yamaha went to the silent chain setup ! My sons 94 Phazer is silent setup.

Will the newer chain cases work on my older sled? Are you still making those kits to widen the Phazer?

Daring said:
Will the newer chain cases work on my older sled? =To put reverse on you'll need the jackshaft and chaincase setup. Are you still making those kits to widen the Phazer? Sure, I have the material to widen the T.S.S. Sleds just need to know the C to C you are going to.

Chuck Schettler
734 Huefner Spring Road
Shippenville Pa. 16254
814 226-1595 M-F 7am-2pm
H 814 354-2687 Eve/Wknds.

My 1997 Venture TR with reverse

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 15
BlueIronRanger said:

I did not remember the Mountain Lite having reverse so I checked the sales brochure and the parts list and it did not. The reverse on that one must have been a retrofit.

PZ 1 said:
I did not remember the Mountain Lite having reverse so I checked the sales brochure and the parts list and it did not. The reverse on that one must have been a retrofit.

Or a dealer install. The guy was the original owner and said it came that way from the dealer, looked to be done from the factory to me anyhow. I should have pulled the trigger on this sled, it only had 770 miles on it for 1350$, cheap for a 97' with E-start and Reverse. Now I found a 93' with 2500miles on it for 950$ OBO, no e-start but thats extra weight! Hard to find these Longtrackers around me.

BlueIronRanger said:
Or a dealer install. The guy was the original owner and said it came that way from the dealer, looked to be done from the factory to me anyhow. I should have pulled the trigger on this sled, it only had 770 miles on it for 1350$, cheap for a 97' with E-start and Reverse. Now I found a 93' with 2500miles on it for 950$ OBO, no e-start but thats extra weight! Hard to find these Longtrackers around me.

The only thing that would not look factory if reverse had been added would be the hole in the hood for the reverse lever. It would be hard to make that look like factory underneath. Did you notice anything about that? The other thing would be if a non USA Phazer Mountain had reverse and that is what it was.

I just missed a venture reverse on ebay. If I get one, I will let you guys know. Not on the top of my list but it is on the list.

I realize this is an old Thread just curious if anyone ever made this work or attempted retrofitting.

same here has anyone done this.

I have also seen it done on the phazer mtn lite (96) that was done at the dealer it was on ebay a couple years ago....

I built one of these a while back. It was a Phazer 2

The easiest thing to do is find a Venture built on the Phazer 2 framework to get the parts from because you need the complete Venture chaincase with all of it's internals and you also need the Venture drive axle and jackshaft. The brake and the rotor on the Venture chaincase come in handy too.

A short track (121 inch) Venture has 1.74 gearing and the longer tracked ones have 2.24 gearing so you should look for a short tracked one if you want to stay close to the original Phazer gearing.

You also need the Venture oil tank because it fits around the chaincase area better. I had to modify one mount for the oil tank so the little mounting bolt would line up.

The Venture chaincase has 4 mounting bolts holding it to the frame, the Phazer also has 4 but............only 3 line up. The top rear doesn't line up but you can drill a new hole in the frame and weld a nut on the backside in the tunnel for the 4th bolt to thread into just like the other 3 do.

I shortened the shift lever and made the hood cutout, used the boot from the Venture and it looks pretty darn good. The fairing doesn't hit the lever since it was shortened.

I didn't wire in the backup alarm from the Venture figuring I was smart enough to know if I had it in Forward or Reverse. Every now and then I seem to take off in the wrong direction though.

Might be something I'm forgetting here, but it's pretty straightforward if you use a Venture for parts.

Ken O

Back