Wide running board conversion

Should Hugh strip his tunnel???

• Strip the tunnel and polish

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • Leave that old bla looking blue

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
SXRider7Hundo said:
Use ZL running board edges. I used M7 but honestly I regret it... I got it to work but it could be better.

Part #'s for ZL/ZR:
2606-425 LEFT
2606-426 RIGHT

found them for $19.10 each @ Yamahaparthouse.com which is Arcticcatparthouse.com, etc (its all Babbitts)

Shipping was expensive at 17.10 but all other site were charging more for parts and a decent price for shipping. All the same in the end...

I used ones from an apex or worrior, forget which, they are the same. yes, you have to bend to fit what shape you want. I didn't use heat on one of them and cracked it up front.
heat is better. to bend aluminum with heat, set your torch to make black smoke. smoke the area. then set the torch to heat. when the black disaperes, you have heated the aluminum to the correct temp. bend it then. this will also weaken the aluminum some but your adding so much more material in this area compared to the thin piece of rolled aluminum it replaces, it is still stronger.

if you look at Hughs sled you will see the front part actually bends outward a little at the footwell. When we started, this piece of edge had only one bend in it roughly a third of the way down.

just finished!! 02 Arctic cat rails. Kinda hacked it but did the best i could with out completely tearing down the sled...
snowmobile007_zps71606cf0.jpg
[/IMG]

BETHEVIPER said:
looks good, only thing I would have changed is to turn the end into the factory cover

BTV I thought about that. The new AC rails are super beefy and I didn't think the factory cover would have looked good all cut up. I have limited tools in my personal garage. Also, still need those rivets I'll PM you in a bit. Used steel rivets with my regular rivet gun. Got through all running board holes; last one snapped the cylinder on the rivet gun.....harbor freight crap, haha

Bump for this old Thread

I'm about to attempt this conversion also
prices have gone up A LOT, but here is what I found
the M7 153" R&L parts are 63.92 & 52.44

they also have 162" ones for cheaper (assuming just cut more off) R&L parts are 36.86 & 40.96
Roll, Tunnel - Right (162) 3606-526, Roll, Tunnel - Left (162) 3606-527 (alternate 4606-861)

I decided to take a chance and go with the standard M7 ones - that is a 141" track
Roll, Tunnel - Right 3606-530, Roll, Tunnel - Left 3606-531 (alternate 4606-857)

after looking at pictures of the cat chassis and the SRX extended, even if they end up being a little "too short"'
the SRX plastic cooler hose covers should hide that I hope....

Ill post how it all works out if I get around to doing this mod anytime soon.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/86904-Pair-of-vipers-go-144-quot/page2 Here are mine. I used rails 2606-425 and 2606-426 on a 144" viper. $18 a piece when i got them 3 yrs ago. This is the rail most of the guys who have done this here have used.
Those parts are now 24.56 each - I didn't dare buy them as no one mentioned if they went 144 with them, or if the just widened their 121 sled.
I'm going 144 - Good to know that it would have worked...

oh and the 141 M7 ones were 27.02 and 36.86 so not too $ much difference
I've also heard they are beefier, and I'm pretty hard on the equipment so I'm good with that :)

Back