defective parts

nosboy said:
I suppose it has to do with a lot of different things. Personally, if i were parting out sleds and used TOTALLYAMAHA for FREE to advertise and "MAKE MONEY" off of,, i suppose I would work on a resolution and settled it "out of court" and NOT HAVE my NAME TARNISHED on this site.. COME ON NOW,,,, He's advertising for FREE!!!! Was it just $40.00 that could have eliminated this mess?? if it was,, I WOULD send you the FOURTY DOLLARS and saved this MESS!!!! If I buy a used starter, I WOULD EXPECT it to work MORE THAN TWICE.... Maybe just GIVE IT BACK to the guy FOR FREE (if you KNOW WHAT I MEAN???) Sounds like a ROADTRIP to me!!!!!
well said gary....

The other guy pm'd me and told me his version.. Thats why TOM said SOL!!! I would have TOO!!!! You NEED to hear BOTH SIDES of the story!!!!! GOOD STORY BY THE WAY!!!!

Good Idea!!! I think the LATIN explanation goes something like DU CAVIAT EMPTOR.. (Let the BUYER BEWARE)

I am glad you are asking for both sides of the story here. I bent over backwards trying to help this guy, but he is totally unreasonable. Here is the whole story:
I sold a 12 year old electric start from a '97 VMAX with a 600 twin. I NEVER had a single problem with the starter. This was a total part out sled. I even went to the extent of waiting to ship the parts until the new screws I ordered from Yamaha arrived, since the ones that were removed were not in the best shape. I also provided a hard copy set of installation instructions.
After the buyer received the parts, he could not locate the factory wiring on his harness. I have installed several of these and the plugs were on the wiring harness. I spoke to him on the phone a couple times explaining where to look. I re-read the instructions and sent him a note explaining where to look again. He took it upon himself to cut into his harness because he could not locate them. I sent everything I had. Next, I find out from the buyer he is installing this on a 700 triple after he received the parts. I explained to him the Yamaha kit number is different for triples than twins. A week later he calls me and tells me he had a very hard time installing everything. He said he used the starter 10 times or so and everything was fine. Then he said the starter motor would not retract, and the solenoid was clicking. I made a couple suggestions to check, but told him since it was used on a different engine than intended it may be possible he burned it up. I recommended taking the motor to a re-builder to find out what was wrong. He continued after that day to send harassing emails that I should pay for a new motor and sent me a link to an Ebay auction selling one. I responded that I sold him a used (12 year old) starter kit that worked fine. Used means "as is", but he kept on that I should pay to repair or replace a "defective" starter motor. I don't know what to say except I did everything I could to help this guy and all he wants to do is demand I replace the starter for $100. I sold this kit to him for $200 + $10 shipping. New they are around $600. It worked when I sold it, it worked after he installed it. Would someone selling junk take the time and trouble to obtain new mounting screws for the starter ring if they where selling something that does not work.
I am a very honest man, but I can tell you - this guy is a bit nutty.
I did not think it was appropriate to start a pissing match on the forum, so I remained silent. His story changes as the thread continues. I have over 22 personal email interactions and multiple phone calls with this guy trying to help him, and he posts I would not even respond. Some people you just can't reach, so this is what we have here.......

enough is enough

I simply stated the truth, I called to verify the missing connector which is a 3 prong connector that goes to the relay, so that is why I installed my own connector to the relay using a yamaha wiring diagram, and my wifes vmax 700 deluxe as a guide (this was easy since the machine I maintain at work cost 40 million). Several emails had the words please work with me! I never went wild in my wording to him.
There is a wealth on knowledge on this web site and have learned plenty and shared with others. This is just one more example of learning and I will not purchase used electrical items again. It is crazy to have gone this far and could have been avoided. Like I said before "I know that he sold it to me in good faith" but #@!T happens! I have not sent him an email since my first post on TY nor will I after this. As I have read everyone has their own opinions on how to deal with these issues.

Last edited:
Now that you BOTH aired out your versions,,,, you can LET the "JURY OF YOUR PEERS" decide the fate of this transaction OR you could just chalk it up to EXPERIENCE... PERSONALLY,,, if the REBUILT STARTER costs $100.00,, I WOULD send the guy HALF the price of a rebuilt starter ( FIFTY DOLLARS) and explain it as a GOODWILL GESTURE... providing that BOTH SELLER AND BUYER knew that there was NO WARRANTY implied in the first place... So it costs the seller FIFTY DOLLARS of PROFIT and the buyer FIFTY DOLLARS of MORE EXPENSE,,,but,,, SH It happens!!!! Gary Oles nosboy

Gary? Seriously?
If what bz says is true and it were me.
After 22 e-mails and multiple phone calls and then having my good name besmirched on this forum, I wouldn't give him a dime. Fact is after I found out he cut the harness I'd say your half a$$ installation sh*t the bed. Follow instructions next time and piss off.

Back