metric machine screws

nevareno

can anyone tell me what size/pitch the machine screws are that hold the float cover on? (Mikuni TM 31) When I took my carbs apart somebody had already had them apart and messed up the heads big time, I had to use visegrips to get them started. I want to replace them with allen socket screws (yes, like a dummy I forgot to check them for size before I re-assembled.) Thanks...Dan

hey i think the screws are M6x1 i replaced every possilbe bolt on my carbs before this season started with socket head cap screws. so much better to work with. just go to any fastenal or place like that and they have all the bolts in stock

they are m4 screwes ....i have a box of them from fastenal ....here is the part number you can order them with ...this number is for a box of 100 ...if you go to there website and type in the number they will have 2 listings one for the whole box and one for single screws ......1139902

Yep - M4 x 0.7 x 12 works great. I use SS allen head cap screws myself. These are great if you have t-handle ball-end allen wrenches. But still work good with standard allen wrenches. Fastenal part PB057651. Black allen head cap screws part 1139525 if you don't want SS.

I bought SS SHCS M4s at my local ACE hardware and replaced the bowl covers, the needle covers, the reed cages, and even my boot screws to SS. ;)!

Don't over torque the allen head screws if you use them. With the more positive wrenching capability of the allen head, they can easily be over torqued.

What about replacing the pan head screw that holds the stator on a Bravo? Think an Allen screw will have a low enough profile and wide enough head to clear the magnets once the magneto is installed? Or would a bolt work better? I will be getting a stash of replacement fasteners regardless.

Been learning about the magic of fasteners recently rebuilding a motor. Thanks guys for the tips on alternates and tricks.

What about replacing the pan head screw that holds the stator on a Bravo? Think an Allen screw will have a low enough profile and wide enough head to clear the magnets once the magneto is installed? Or would a bolt work better? I will be getting a stash of replacement fasteners regardless.

Been learning about the magic of fasteners recently rebuilding a motor. Thanks guys for the tips on alternates and tricks.

Not sure on this one. Things are a bit slow right now with summer but you may get more looks if you start a new thread in the vintage section or even general Yamaha.

Back