Need Another Source Of 12v Power

jdp1under

Hey Guys Im Adding A Water Temp Gauge On My Viper 02 And I Have A Heated Sheild Already Using The Blue Wire For Tail Lights. So Does Anyone Know If I Can Grab Safe Power From The Head Lights Or Some Where Else? If So What Color Wire To Use. Thanks

You can safely use 30 watts of power from that source according to Yamaha. I have seen considerably more used without issues, but there is no guarantee of course. The key really isn't the wiring but the overall power supply and the main control relay. If you switch to a LED tailight you can safely gain 15 more watts or so.

You need to know what the stuff you are adding is using.

Thanks Ding So Your Saying I Can Use The Same Source. The Water Temp Gauge Is A Digital Daytona From Mountain Performance I Just Looked At The Paper Work And It Doesnt Give Me Any Draw Or Power Specs. I Cant Imagine Its Much For A Small Digital Display.

Now I Just Need To Figure What The Helmet And The Gauge Will Draw. Do You Know Of Another Source Or Should I Just Go With The Same One?

I found power for my temperature gauge, for my '02 Viper, from the digital speedometer. It was the blue and I think white or yellow striped wire that is located where you unplug the wiring harness at the speedometer, it will be all the way to the right, in the first row(two rows of wires on the plug), closest to you when you unplug from pigtail from the gauge.I verified the output on a multi-meter where it was like 12.78volts at idle.

Thanks I Didnt Want To Tap In To The Same 12v I Was Using For The Sheild If I Didnt Have To. So I Asume Your Using It For Your Set Up With No Issues? Thanks Again!

I realize this is an old post, but was it the blue/white or blue/yellow wire on your '02 viper on the speedometer harness that was 12v? Is this AC or DC?

Back