carb heaters

There has been several threads on this one, I personnally run mine turned on all of the time. They are designed to prevent carb icing. If you happen to be riding with them turned off and you notice that you are losing power and then turn them on you will melt the carb ice and suck it in the engine and scuff goes the piston.

Well, Those are two very different opinions. Please, anyone else lets hear what you have to say. Thanks

The owner's manual says to leave them on at all times except when temps are above freezing. Seems simple enough. I haven't noticed any difference when riding with them off the few times I've tried it.

I was always told anytime below -5 celsius or any time in snowy/powder situations to turn on carb heaters on nerver had a problem yet.

believe it or not but carb ice is worst when riding in warmer temperatures than in VERY cold temps... this is because when ambient temps and dew point are close (perfect conditions for carb icing) usually happens at warmer riding temps...

when flying a piston engine powered aircraft were were taught to ALWAYS be aware of potential carb icing... at any temps.. same principals apply to carb icing of a car, sled, bike, etc...

I leave carb heat on all the time...

here's some good applicable reading...

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is_carburetor_ice?

tj

So plan and simple leave them on all the time? except in warm temperatures. Makes sense becuase the 3 cylinder genesis carberated motors like the vector and nytro etc. you have no choice the coolant always run through them.

I turn mine on and leave them on, on our Vipers. Then I don't have to worry about the carbs icing ever.

yeah 4 sure always on have made several runs on radar no performance changes on or off let the green blood flow jmy r&d

ON always why would anybody even take a chance, maybe they rob a couple ponies maybe they don't but who the hell cares anyway unless your racing for money.

All of ours are always on no matter what the temp. I cant tell any difference in performance with temp changes. Plus turning them on and off aint a easy task unless your a gorilla and im not messing with a wrench so on they stay.

Just turned them on after reading this thread. I thought they were on though. I checked and they were off. Read the manual and it says for 32 and below, turn em on. I can't think of many times I'm riding and it's over 32...

Mine are always off, been that way for at least three years. Never noticed any problems with it.

Back