Long Travel Information

BETHEVIPER

Life Member
For years questions about long traveling srx and sx sleds have been asked all over this site. They are so scattered and numerous that It is imposible to search them and not get confused. I would like anyone that has information, pictures, or questions to try to keep them to this thread. I can keep them cleaned up in here once in a while and give everyone a place to link to when needed.

Feel free to post

Last edited:

I Have a 1997 700sx Time for a new track, stock on it know even picked it spins way to much. What track do you recommend ? I was thinking 1.25 ripsaw? Also while I am swapping the track I understand A shock upgrade from the viper or sxr sleds will net me more travel in the rear? I also have a 1994 vmax 600 that will do much better in deeper snow than the 97', on the road there is no comparison. To rap it up I mostly like straight line performance, what would you do to improve it?

Not really the thread for your question... but yes longer shocks will give you more travel. If buying new get a ripsaw 2. ripsaws can be found used super cheap but i wont and never will recommend them after using them.

What happens if I just do the rear skid with viper shocks and leave the front shocks stock. On a 97 sx700.

I ask because I have 2 of these sleds. One I put vipers shocks on it all around. Other one is stock. The handling is way better on the stock sled. So I thought about just doing the rear with viper shocks. Thinking it would keep the handling of the stock set-up with more travel in the rear.

if you installed just the rears, the front is fine as long as you adjust the carbide pressure and rear skid to the new higher setting rear.

If you installed viper shocks all the way around and didn't widen the sled, it will be setting extra high in the front as stock, they are a 40 inch sled, making the shocks seem stiffer at their new angle as well as making the sled sit higher with them mounted closer. If your going to use the narrow stance and viper shocks, make sure you set them with 0 preload to let the front end down. Also, you, as always need to adjust your carbide pressure as lifting the sled increases front carbide pressure.

Thanks BETHEVIPER, I was mostly answering my own question, albeit not really helping anyone else out along the way until YOU, the SUPERHERO came along and answered the question with great detail. Your a great asset to this site.

if you installed just the rears, the front is fine as long as you adjust the carbide pressure and rear skid to the new higher setting rear.

If you installed viper shocks all the way around and didn't widen the sled, it will be setting extra high in the front as stock, they are a 40 inch sled, making the shocks seem stiffer at their new angle as well as making the sled sit higher with them mounted closer. If your going to use the narrow stance and viper shocks, make sure you set them with 0 preload to let the front end down. Also, you, as always need to adjust your carbide pressure as lifting the sled increases front carbide pressure.

Just to make sure we are adjusting the ski pressure with the limiter straps or pre load on the front spring correct. I still want to fallow your write up on tset up your skids. So basically I will be adjusting the limiter straps for this.

Back