headlight keeps blowing

leepster

I got a problem with a 200 sx600r, It keeps blowing the headlight. We replaced the voltage regulator and the regulator/rectifier but it still blows, checked the voltage at the headlight and it is very erratic, when reved up it will go as high as 20 volts and then the headlight blows, anyone got any ideas?

Hi guys I been searching for a problem I'm having with my 2001 Venture 500 I tried installing a LED headlight over then weekend and it blew out in 5 minutes. I put the stock bulb back in and it worked fine again. The next day I used my power probe and checked the voltage at the headlight high and low beam and I was getting 19 to 20 volts at Idle! and this is also the same with the tail light but the kicker is the tail light on my sled is dim and I put a LED bulb in it still works and I never had the factory headlight blow out. Also the voltage at the battery when running at idle is normal 14 volts then you check the headlight wires and you get 20 volts! This has me super confused also guessing this is why my hand warmers are so hot I have to keep them turned down or I burn my hands.

the sled operates on a ac voltage system with the single bulb headlights, so your gonna see the voltage fluctuate like that. The sled is equipped with a regulator/rectifier for the battery to be able to operate and be charged.

the sled operates on a ac voltage system with the single bulb headlights, so your gonna see the voltage fluctuate like that. The sled is equipped with a regulator/rectifier for the battery to be able to operate and be charged.

Hi Mr Viper So your saying the headlight and tail light have AC voltage going to the bulbs How can I put a LED headlight bulb in it with out it blowing it out? I just do not get how the bulbs do not blow out with 20 volts AC going to them. I put LED 194 bulbs in the speedo and tach and all the warning lights and they all work fine but the led bulb I put in the tail light is really dim all the time that is with the warmers off they do not change the brightness of the bulbs on or off the warmers.

it IS blowing out, in 5 mins like you said. ac volts and dc volts are different because of ohms. Its likely due to the resistance that's part of the led bulb, the stock bulb doesn't use a capacitor or whatever inside just a filament, and if the led headlight has a cooling fan that's also likely part of it. The reason the small leds are likely working or at least glowing is that they don't use the same one as headlight, but likely they are dimmer then stock bulbs due to the resistance change as your saying the tail light bulb is and it would be bigger then the 194 type bulbs.

I am guessing because I don't know what bulb brand or anything your running but if you check with headlight manufacture they will likely tell you the led headlight bulb is designed for dc current, not ac current.

it IS blowing out, in 5 mins like you said. ac volts and dc volts are different because of ohms. Its likely due to the resistance that's part of the led bulb, the stock bulb doesn't use a capacitor or whatever inside just a filament, and if the led headlight has a cooling fan that's also likely part of it. The reason the small leds are likely working or at least glowing is that they don't use the same one as headlight, but likely they are dimmer then stock bulbs due to the resistance change as your saying the tail light bulb is and it would be bigger then the 194 type bulbs.

I am guessing because I don't know what bulb brand or anything your running but if you check with headlight manufacture they will likely tell you the led headlight bulb is designed for dc current, not ac current.
Is there a way to change the voltage going to the lights to a normal DC battery voltage?
IMG_7892.jpgIMG_7897.jpg

Back