Extremely Disappointed in Yamaha's Lack of Resell Value & Confidence in snowmobiles

Dude dont feel bad..

Back in 01 i purchased a brand new Viper and gave $7000 for it..

One year later after taking a season long beating on that POS i sold it for $3950 with the cover and add ons and clothing..

you can easily expect to loose $3000 on a new sled the first year.. but after that it goes down slowly..

That is why i wont every buy a new sled.. YOu find people just a few months after buying a sled that find out they cant afford it or loose there job and are forced to sell fast for Cheap..

Ive seen several 2009s Xtxs going for $6700 with under a hundred miles on them.. I just wish i could afford one myself right now..

jwiedmayer said:
Checked your home value lately? Damn builders and their rebates...
Actually, best investment I've ever made has been my house! Not to many true log homes on a mountain lake in Colorado! I'll make money off of it......no rebates needed!

BACK ON EBAY! Buy a new 2010 Nytro and lose money if you sell it in a year from now(30-40%)!
Buy this one and save your money??? Well, no reserve starting at $6,500.00
Item # 280352769763

Similar but diiferent..I bought my 2004 Viper S in Dec. 2004, so the 2005s were out.
I paid $6700. good deal. For kicks I tried to negoiate on a leftover 2006 Vector in 2007. First the dealer said that trade in value of the Viper would be around $3800.00, (great) then a day later informed me that the trade in would be $2800. and the Vector would be sold at the retail price $9400.00 He also stated that nobody buys two strokes anymore. I was happy to point out to this gentleman that 1. he is also a Ski-Doo dealer, so the whole 2 stroke thing seemed funny and 2, a 2006 Vector did not retail $9400. I still have my Viper, and the dealer has been bought up by another group. So sad...
Last year with the high gas prices we entertained selling our 32 ft. 5th wheel and buying something smaller. New, the trailer was $27K in 2005, trade in in 2008, $9500. We still have the 5th wheel, the cash difference will buy alot of gas.
Lastly, the KBB and NADA are "guides". They seem highly optimistic on trade in values, probably to get our juices flowing over the prospect of buying something new. I do not know of anyone getting book value on anything here in NE IL.
All toys are unwise "investments," (talk to a boat owner) but we love to ride, fish, etc. and that's why we do it.
I hope things turnaround for you soon.
I alsowish you well on the sale of your sled. If you can hang in there a few more monthes...The Snowmags hit the mailbox in mid Aug. and the Prez will surely have everything well in order by then :)
Good Luck
2datrl

Last edited:
BARON 8BU said:
Totally of topic but I have to ask. What mountian lake? Grand Lake by chance?
St. Mary's Glacier.........Idaho Springs area.........It's for sale!

Grand Lake & Winter Park have been hit hard by the Beetle Kill........

Last edited:
evrgrnmtnman said:
St. Mary's Glacier.........Idaho Springs area.........It's for sale!

Grand Lake & Winter Park have been hit hard by the Beetle Kill........

Was in Grand Lake in fall of 07 hunting. Beetle kill was bad back then. Shame to see the whole side of a mountain with dead trees. One guy in our group has a cousin that lives there and is on the local fire unit. He said it's a nightmare in waiting with all the dead trees. On the flip side he has an endless supply of wood to make furniture out of. He is also in realestate but that took a dive for him.

It would really suck to have to take a loss like you're looking at. I myself would keep the sled and sell other things first. Guns and ammo are going at a premium price. Hope everything pans out for you. That is a beautiful state you live in.

Well, I'm over it now(depreciation) and moving forward. Someone once said that "It is what it is", and so I have learned a lesson. Buy a new snowmobile you better hang on to it for awhile, which was my intention when I bought it.
Yes, I know about guns and ammo. I was one that went out a few months agao, when everyone was scrambling because they thought they were going to be banned. However, I think this weapon will resell good! Now, I just need some ammo!

Reloading. That will fix your problem. I saw the panic begin and picked up 20,000 small rifle, 15,000 large pistol, and 20,000 small pistol primers. Selling some of my small rifle primers have financed my AR-15 build. I it when people panic. LOL.

Sorry

I totally hear where you are coming from but I've been sledding quite a while and have owned several sleds. I personally never buy a new release anymore. Too much money and the second year is always better because there are always glitches that Yami works out.....like your weak bulk head and poor front end geometry just to name a few serious issues. These are the issues that require such huge incentives for dealers to get rid of old inventory and its true that it royally screws up your resale value. I bought an 09 RTX and I love it. I purchased it for $8,500 out the door on March 15th 2009 and it currently has over 800 miles on it. I fully expect to take a $2,000 hit in value per year in the first two years I own the sled. Your sled is two years old (not one) as someone pointed out. Unfortunately I'd say you are right on track. If you're gonna play you're gonna pay. I am really sorry about your job and the situation you are in on this sled. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Madmatt

Madmatt said:
I totally hear where you are coming from but I've been sledding quite a while and have owned several sleds. I personally never buy a new release anymore. Too much money and the second year is always better because there are always glitches that Yami works out.....like your weak bulk head and poor front end geometry just to name a few serious issues. These are the issues that require such huge incentives for dealers to get rid of old inventory and its true that it royally screws up your resale value. I bought an 09 RTX and I love it. I purchased it for $8,500 out the door on March 15th 2009 and it currently has over 800 miles on it. I fully expect to take a $2,000 hit in value per year in the first two years I own the sled. Your sled is two years old (not one) as someone pointed out. Unfortunately I'd say you are right on track. If you're gonna play you're gonna pay. I am really sorry about your job and the situation you are in on this sled. I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Madmatt

I agree with what you said! Got some interviews coming up, so hope to be employed soon. Just see what I can get for the snowmobile, and maybe when my economic situation changes, buy one with rebates!

Last edited:
jwiedmayer said:
Checked your home value lately? Damn builders and their rebates...

I paid 84,100 for my house 5 years ago.. Just re appraised for $120,000

I think the market is pretty damn good.

welterracer said:
I paid 84,100 for my house 5 years ago.. Just re appraised for $120,000

I think the market is pretty damn good.

I would agree on houses. However, cars,snowmobiles,Atv's,etc.. aren't so lucky.

Last edited:
Dude, I am sorry hard times have hit your situation. I have been there, brother and I feel your pain. We'd all be better off if we had saved those hard earned dollars we dumped into our gasoline powered toys -- we'd have more reserves when these rainy days hit. But human nature and the pure joy of snowmobiling sometimes cloud our judgment. I am as guilty as anybody. But I truly am sorry for yours and a lot of other's financial situations right now.

And while we all sort of know this in our heads when we bought (that the sled would lose half it's value the minute you pull off the lot with it on your trailer), those shiny new sleds sure do look nice on the showroom floor and we splurge. Any snowmobiles are a bad, bad investment from a financial standpoint. They are highly seasonal, very expensive, and manufacturers (all of them) are constantly improving/changing the sleds to increase sales of "new" sleds from year to year.

And when the economy tanks, unnecessary things like sleds or ATV's are the first items that hit the want ads. Afterall, you can't commute to too many job interviews on your Nytro, can you?

So in bad economic times like we have right now, lots of sleds are for sale by private owners. Well, there are also lots of holdover sled models that went unsold at dealers all over America. And remember, Yamaha Snowmobile Company's #1 priority is to sell new snowmobiles. Well, to do that they have to cut the glut of old holdover machines, which are competing for sales with new sleds. Your sled for sale is also competition to them. To compete with you, the manufacturers drastically cut prices and offer incentives. It's simple economics.

Coupled with the fact that it's now June, anybody selling a sled has a marketing problem because most people (Not us TY'er's!!!!!) just are not thinking about snowmobiling right now -- and especially not considering buying one!!!

If you need money for food or necessities you will just take what you can get now and sell the Nytro. If the bank is going to repo (if you financed it....), then you will sell if you can at least get enough to pay off the loan. Or you might consider calling your bank and seeing if they will work with you.

If you own the sled outright and can weather the storm, try to hold onto it until at least November -- you will get more for it guaranteed. This will be due to people's changing interests (winter and snow on the way!!!!) and maybe the economy will be improving by then. But sleds sell a lot better in the winter, period.

Your sled is a newer model sled in like new shape. Heck, it's not even remotely broken in. It will sell. Most Americans have no idea about changes between the '08's, or '09's, or '10's. I'm sorry, but the things we TY'er's pay attention (the geometry changes or whatever) to are not what most people consider or know about. And Yamaha most likely will discontinue it's incentives sometime late summer and won't be "incentivising" like they are doing right now. That alone would help you a lot.

I guess what I'm saying is hold out if you can, for as long as you can. Don't dump it for too cheap unless you have too. And only you know if you are in that position right now. If you dump it and didn't have to, you will regret it. If you dump it to feed your family, it will have been an excellent decision.

Good luck brother.

Hey, I totally agree with what you said about it! At least now, I'm a smarter buyer when it comes to snowmobiles. I own it out right, paid cash. But of the list of things to sell(auto's), this is first on the list. Just trying to get some cash till my situation improves.....should be a good time to buy knowing there are deals out there..
RIGHT NOW! $6,500.00 takes this sled!

Last edited:
If you own it outright and paid CASH for it, I recommend KEEPING IT and waiting till you ABSOLUTELY have to sell it.. I am SURE you could sell your home (that you made 40 GRAND off of) and use that 40 grand to defer whatever payments you have and purchase another home for 80 grand and use the profits to live on until the JOB situation improves.. If you are going to take a BATH on something like that,, unless you are DESPERATE ( which you don't appear to be) just WAIT this whole thing out and you will be GLAD you did!!!

To put final closure on this thread, and people can come up with their own conclusion on resell of snowmobiles.
Paid 10K out the door just a year ago for this sled.
Sold the sled with only 56 miles for $5822.00 on EBAY!
Not a good investment...........bye!

sorry about that man, that was a big loss, plus a 4200 dollar 56 mile ride, sleds are definitely the worst investment, I only rode my sled for about 2 months the season, BUT it was well worth it. But it was the worst winter in Newfoundland in a LONG time, we usually get 4-5 moths of riding in for a season.

Back