Extremely Disappointed in Yamaha's Lack of Resell Value & Confidence in snowmobiles

evrgrnmtnman

Extremely Disappointed in Yamaha's Lack of Resell Value & Confidence in snowmobiles

Okay, I have to vent my flustrations out, because I've already called Yamaha and expressed my grievances with them! Yes, I was one that went out and bought a new 08 Nytro MTX when they came out and paid 10K out the door for mine. Well, today one with 56 miles has loss 35-40% of it's value basically in part to Yamaha! Yes, now $2,000 rebates are offered on any 08's in stock at dealers. Which means a Dealer can sell a brand new one for $7,500.00 if it doesn't want to make a dime on the deal(already talked to a dealer about this). So, for those out there like myself that wants to sell theirs, your basically screwed unless you want to give it away. Personally, I will never own another Yamaha product as long as i live. Maybe I would have been better off buying a Chrysler or GM car with my money!
MAD CONSUMER!!!!!

If there are any Yamaha Reps. that actually read this. Please contact me to send me my "rebate" check! Otherwise, if there are other competitors reps that read this would you like to buy a 08 Yamaha Nytro MTX with 56 miles or maybe I'll trade you for one of your snowmobiles!

Last edited:

i'll trade you your 40% loss on your sled for my 40% loss on my 401k.

the first year always takes the biggest depreciation hit. no matter what vehicle it is, recreation or otherwise.

look on the bright side, it could have been in the shop for the majority of the season getting worked on, so then it is depreciating AND out of service!

Thumper1 said:
i'll trade you your 40% loss on your sled for my 40% loss on my 401k.

the first year always takes the biggest depreciation hit. no matter what vehicle it is, recreation or otherwise.

look on the bright side, it could have been in the shop for the majority of the season getting worked on, so then it is depreciating AND out of service!

I've already suffered the loss on my stocks, and I don't mind taking the hit on depreciation. But when you add in the fact of the 2K rebate, than that is just to much of a hit! I.E paying 10K for a Snowmobile and one that has only 56 miles on it, and I can even get $6,500 for it. Is pretty sad!

The fact is, that there are still "New" 08 Yamaha's sitting at Dealer Locations, and a customer can walk in and buy one of these(NytroMTX) with the rebates for $7,500 if the dealer doesn't want to make any money. Now this is great if your a new customer, but it basically scr*ws the customers that bought theirs in the beginning and didn't get those rebates. Especially, the ones that are trying to sell theirs now, and have to compete against these rebates. I wish I had bought this from WalMart or Home Depot so I could take my receipt back and get my money back on the difference I paid.
Yes, my blood pressure is extremely high on this!

Last edited:
Continue my rage!

Let's say I paid $9,500.00 before taxes on this snowmobile. Okay, I should be getting hit on depreciation from that figure.
Instead, with the 2k in rebates. I'm taking a depreciation from $7,500.00.
That's a big difference if you bought your snowmobile without the rebates.
Please, tell me if I'm wrong in my thinking? Is there anyone else that feels like I do?

This is why I never buy a new Sled. I will wait and find a left over and get it cheap. In 2006 I bought a brand new 04 viper for $5800. I am looking at nytro's but will save my money for when I can get a left over. ;)!

stretchSXV said:
This is why I never buy a new Sled. I will wait and find a left over and get it cheap. In 2006 I bought a brand new 04 viper for $5800. I am looking at nytro's but will save my money for when I can get a left over. ;)!
A BUYER!

How is Yamaha responsable for the $hitty economy. They are doing what they need to do to stay in the black. If moving 2 year old model year sleds at a 2000 buck discount helps, then so be it. they are nt the only brand doing it, as Polaris has been emailing me $2500 off notices on 08 and 09 sleds. If it only has 56 miles on it why not ride it and get your monies worth out of it. I guess somethings just never make sense to me.

maxdlx said:
How is Yamaha responsable for the $hitty economy. They are doing what they need to do to stay in the black. If moving 2 year old model year sleds at a 2000 buck discount helps, then so be it. they are nt the only brand doing it, as Polaris has been emailing me $2500 off notices on 08 and 09 sleds. If it only has 56 miles on it why not ride it and get your monies worth out of it. I guess somethings just never make sense to me.
Sh*tty Economy has nothing to do with it. Did you buy one of these new???
I'm just saying that they have scr*wed the ones that did. Maybe we helped them stay in black. However, I will take this as a lesson learned, and never buy a new PowerSport! And thus, one less customer for new sales......
I don't see Mercedes or BMW discounting their cars. So, I would hate to say that Yamaha is more of a GM or Chrysler brand.

Last edited:
fourbarrel said:
OK I will ask the obvious question here and say why are you selling it with only 56 miles on the clock?Did the sled not pan out or are you looking to stay with a new sled?

Lost job. Need Cash! Was hoping to take a little hit, but not with a 2k rebate now working against me. This is not about the Mechanics, Operation, Performance of the Snowmobile. It is a nice snowmobile.
It's about "Resell Value". Whether you bought a new Nytro in 2008 or 2009, then Yamaha starts offering 2K in rebates. It hurts those people trying to sell their snowmobiles for whatever reason? Like I said. I've learned my lesson, but will never buy a new one again.

This is a normal trend in the industry.. Discount old stock or get stuck with it!! Selling at this time of year you will be lucky to get $6000.00

jabber800 said:
This is a normal trend in the industry.. Discount old stock or get stuck with it!! Selling at this time of year you will be lucky to get $6000.00
I am finding that out. But how would you feel taking a 4K hit on basically a new sled with 56 miles on it??????? That is a 40% loss for me for riding it that short of miles.
And should I think that I'm going to get more for it next season???

Last edited:
evrgrnmtnman said:
Sh*tty Economy has nothing to do with it. Did you buy one of these new???
I'm just saying that they have scr*wed the ones that did. Maybe we helped them stay in black. However, I will take this as a lesson learned, and never buy a new PowerSport! And thus, one less customer for new sales......
I don't see Mercedes or BMW discounting their cars. So, I would hate to say that Yamaha is more of a GM or Chrysler brand.

No I didn't buy one, as I didn't think the future looked to support me buying one financialy. I'd bet if the economy was better and more new sleds sold and there was less left overs, there would be no 2grand discount. Also if the economy was better, you wouldn't be looking at a 4 g loss. I have always been told if you can't stand a 50% loss on investment on a vehicle or toy, don't buy it. You might be surprised that come fall with the current economic trend if you aren't looking at aa 50 to 60% loss later in the year.

Last edited:
Whether you buy a car, motorcycle, or snowmobile and you have to take a 40% loss the first year on basically a little used vehicle. That is a terrible investment! Now let's say there are people out there that are reading this. Do you think they would buy a new vehicle(unless there are huge rebates) knowing their going to take a huge loss when they go to resell it, especially on something that is new and has been well taken care of for a year? For those of you reading this, unless you intend to own the vehicle for years, might I suggest you look at a used vehicle. My plans were to keep this for years to come, but as you can see my economic situation has changed and forced me to sell this earlier than I had planned, but 40% or more loss.....please

Last edited:
I'm curious! Am I the only one upset about this? Maybe my thoughts are misguided and a 40 to 50% depreciation is completely acceptable after ownership after one year on a vehicle hardly used?????

It's the nature of the game. You buy a "toy" and it loses value. Sleds aren't good investments if you intend to resell (I know that's not your purpose). The economies down, sleds are down. It's summer, so another downfall on sled values. I bought a '07 silverado for $32 grand. I wouldn't expect to sell it for more than $21 grand with only 15,000 miles on it. I've found dealers with the exact same truck for that price. It sucks, but like I said before, it's the nature of the game. You pay to play. I think the only things you can sell right now and make a nice profit, are firearms and ammunition.

VenomMod said:
It's the nature of the game. You buy a "toy" and it loses value. Sleds aren't good investments if you intend to resell (I know that's not your purpose). The economies down, sleds are down. It's summer, so another downfall on sled values. I bought a '07 silverado for $32 grand. I wouldn't expect to sell it for more than $21 grand with only 15,000 miles on it. I've found dealers with the exact same truck for that price. It sucks, but like I said before, it's the nature of the game. You pay to play. I think the only things you can sell right now and make a nice profit, are firearms and ammunition.
Your right about the firearms and ammunition, which brings up another thought. Obama will soon be going after the recreational vehicles, especially those two strokes, so maybe the value in our snowmobiles will go up once they are banned, especially from public lands............

evrgrnmtnman said:
Lost job. Need Cash! Was hoping to take a little hit, but not with a 2k rebate now working against me. This is not about the Mechanics, Operation, Performance of the Snowmobile. It is a nice snowmobile.
It's about "Resell Value". Whether you bought a new Nytro in 2008 or 2009, then Yamaha starts offering 2K in rebates. It hurts those people trying to sell their snowmobiles for whatever reason? Like I said. I've learned my lesson, but will never buy a new one again.
Job loss.That sucks man sorry.It's really weird but in my area we don't see the extreme depreciation values your talking about or at least guys selling their sleds are not afraid to ask premium coin for it.Of course we're talking about US markets and Canadian markets and maybe Yamaha Canada doesn't offer the rebate either.

to be honest, it seems to me that yami holds the best value snowmobiles wise. lot's of older yami sleds seem sell for more then any older doo,poo, or cat sleds, seems to me the yami's hold there money pretty well. just my opinion.

I think that it's a great snowmobile, and I really like it. Sorry, to have to be selling it. Just have trouble with that much of a hit on a basically new ride....

Back