Bearings

bigreis

VIP Lifetime Member
I am wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to the speedo side drive axle bearing for a Viper (the one with the locking collar) than buying OEM Yamaha bearings?

Also, has anyone had any bad luck with buying the 6205 size bearings off of internet sites that charge about $4.00 for them... are they junk or why so cheap?

Buy the OEM bearings. I've tried others, but the allen or torque head lock nuts do not grab the shaft nearly well enough. I've always had issues with non-OEM bearings.

Just find any place that sells bearings, they will be cheaper then the dealer. I'm in Canada so I don't know anywhere near you. Most of Yamaha's stuff is made by Koyo so look for that name. I've always used the NTN normal black sealed bearings, I can usually get 2 to 3 seasons out of a jackshaft/driveshaft bearing.

but oem like valin said i bought a cheap one and the collar on it is a 1/8 to 1/4 inch wider than stock and it is a removable collar to boot so it was hitting the collar lock on my axle ....also i was told but the guy at the part store that it was a impliment bearing and mine stock was a high speed bearing and i could be taking a chance of it exploding ...so i just spent the 32 bucks and bought oem ....not to mention the hours i spent looking without finding one til i had it matched at parts store ill see if i can find the thread for you

I got curious last winter and called a dealer to check on the price of an oem jackshaft bearing,well after I gathered my breath I told the parts guy thanks for the info and hung up.$60 fricken dollars Canadian they want for it here,yeah I'll take two.
So consequently I use NTN replacements that I get at Canadian Bearing.The drive axle and jackshaft both have eccentric locking collars rather than fixed ones like the oem but I can say I've never had any set screws back out on me,of course I use a little loctite or even silicone to secure them.
And I should also add that these bearings are direct cross' from the oem numbers so they are the same or better quality and work perfect.

Last edited:
to me its kind of funny, about the always buy oem bearings, i went to a dealer to get oem bearings, and looked at the bearing and saw it was a peer bearing, that bearing is not a very good bearing i needed two so he ordered two for me, and this time they where Fafnir which is a good bearing from then on i went to bearing dealers and get the same bearing at 1/3 the cost!! yamaha,cat,doo,pol do not manufacture there own bearings they buy them just like you and me

Valin is absolutely right

You can use any 6205 bearing anywhere else on the sled but on the speedo side it's not worth buying anyhthing but OEM. Did you try to clean yours up? Just carefully pry off the seal on the side opposite the collar. Pick the hard grease out with a small screwdriver. Spray it down with brake clean and shop air until you get it nice and clean so it spins freely. Now lube it with a little light penetraiting lube like WD40. Pack some good synthetic grease in there with your finger. Pop the seal back on, wipe of the excess grease and RUN IT!

Madmatt

viper wheel/shaft bearing #'s. I need help.

i have an 03 viper er and bought all 5 aluminum kimpex main idle wheels and bearings.

i bought All Balls Racing drive shaft and jack shaft bearing kits.

the speedo bearing has a concave outter race. werid. it does not seat snug in the bearing cover at the speedo. the old oem bearing does not have a concave outter race. it fits snug in the bearing cover.

the problems continue..

the kimpex wheels have larger races than the old oem wheels. the oem circlips are now too small and will obviously not hold the bearing in the new kimpex wheel. frustrated

technically i should be able to get ANY bearing at NAPA.

What is the explanation for the last two letters after the bearing number> 6204 2RS > 6204 RD ??

I suppose its best to see if napa would have a larger circlip.

What is the bearing number for the large upper idle wheels? The outter race of the 6205 doesnt fit the kimpex wheel (kx411698)

frustrated . thanks in advance

Last edited:

Back