Re jetting 96 vmax 600

apgorsuch

I have a 96 vmax xt 600 and just purchased a set of GYT-R pipes and a Hauck #4 clutch kit does anybody Know What size jets to go with and anything else I may need to do.

Can't remember the jet size but one thing you will need to do is hold on to the handlebars at 5700 :) goes from dull to Yikes fast (but puts a nice smile on the face)

smart carbs on your sled or no? for the 96, the factory kit came with a thinner head gasket, .6mm, vs the stock gasket at 1.4mm. for best results, the thinner head gasket should be used with the gyt pipes. give pat a call at hauck, and he should have the jetting info on the gyt's, i want to say it was up two sizes on the mains.

152.5 or 153.8 jetting comes to mind for me. There was also a deal to change the nozzle(needle jet-atomizer tube) in the carbs from a staggered p-6/q-6 to q-6/q-6. '95 had the .6mm head gasket and the '96's had a thicker head gasket, you will need to run premium fuel with those pipes, since going with the pipes you should go with the thinner head gasket too, as it will help bring the "dull spot" down a couple of hundred rpms. I think I still have the set up sheet for this (need to dig for it) Plz P.M. me to keep it fresh in my mind. Tracy

Last edited:
Sxr700Bandit said:
152.5 or 153.8 jetting comes to mind for me. There was also a deal to change the nozzle(needle jet-atomizer tube) in the carbs from a staggered p-6/q-6 to q-6/q-6. '95 had the .6mm head gasket and the '96's had a thicker head gasket, you will need to run premium fuel with those pipes, since going with the pipes you should go with the thinner head gasket too, as it will help bring the "dull spot" down a couple of hundred rpms. I think I still have the set up sheet for this (need to dig for it) Plz P.M. me to keep it fresh in my mind. Tracy
nice work. my faded notes show a q8 on the left carb from 94, but i think they were stock on the 96. i have notes for the 96 mtn max with the smart carbs as we did the gyt's way back when, but no notes on the standard carb version, as i ran the gyt's on the 94, and that was before i started writing stuff down on papar. wish that hood was still here. and i have been wondering why i have these extra nozzles in the carb box and now i think i know.

the jetting depends on altitude and temp same with clutching according to the yamaha tuning specs heres sea level to 3500 ft pilot #50,needle 2.5,prim spring pnk-pnk-pnk 30x3.00, weights 8ab, rivits inner 17.2 st, outer 10.3 al, rollers 15mm,sec spring green 50% (2-3) gearing 21/35, main jetting 152.5 for 300-2000 ft temp of-4 to around 45 degrs. make sure you have q-8 needle jet on pto carb 96 should already have this

snowdad4 said:
nice work. my faded notes show a q8 on the left carb from 94, but i think they were stock on the 96. i have notes for the 96 mtn max with the smart carbs as we did the gyt's way back when, but no notes on the standard carb version, as i ran the gyt's on the 94, and that was before i started writing stuff down on papar. wish that hood was still here. and i have been wondering why i have these extra nozzles in the carb box and now i think i know.
I made both carbs run the Q-8 nozzle(I WAS wrong in thinking q-6- till I looked at my notes) and the 2.5 needle setting should be richend up about 1/2 notch as the mid range fuel mixture is too lean and you get a surge feeling starting about 1/4 throttle to about 5/8 open.

thanks for the help hope to have it ready soon cant wait to see what kind of a diffrence this makes

Back