SRX 700 what rpm?? with aftermarket tripple pipes

billbies

What rpms are you guys running or have found to be a sweet spot?
I have ported cases, stock cylinders, pistons etc. with bored carbs and Bender Tripple pipes with individual cans.
And before you say call bender they do not know already have called
They built these pipes custom for our race team 11 years ago and do not have any paperwork on them and we have also lost all paperwork.
So I am just wondering what any of you guys with aftermarket tripple pipes are running for rpms trail wise and seeing good results

Thanks

Bill

The stock CDI may be the limiting factor here. As many posts have indicated, the stock advance starts to retard quickly after 8500 RPM.
If you have a high RPM box, I would recommend you measure your pipe length from the exhaust flange to the end of the cone[where the stinger attaches], centre section width/length ect... There are exspansion chamber construction formulas out there that will give you an indication of the RPM you should be running but you will need port duration, temps, lengths from piston face, and other details.
IMO:
The simplist way to get an approx RPM would be to compare the length + dimensions of your pipe to after market Viper tripples...I would venture a guess that one of either the Aaens, Bender, SLP, or CPR Viper tripple pipes will match closely to your pipes dimensions[lengths/widths ect]+ then you have somewhere to start.
Generally speaking the shorter they are the higher RPM they were meant to run...there were some SRX pipes out there that were meant to run 10,000RPM + , if thats the case they should be shorter then all the Viper tripple trail pipes.
Maybe some members could measure their pipes + post them.

Thats just what I would do to get an RPM start point.

Last edited:
I did not know they started retarding above 8500 rpms it does have a stock cdi in it, does anyone know if I can put a 600 hi rpm cdi in I have one of those but not sure if 600 and 700 are interchangable for curves and such

Thanks

so if i have to stay with the srx 700 cdi is there a way to increase that rpm by sending it out,
And also how hard is it goin to be to tune for a 600 cdi with higher midrange timing

Thanks for the reply

There were some High RPM CDIs available "back in the day",[ Bender, Hauck, CPR] maybe you could find a used one on Ebay or in the forums classifieds. You will still have to figure out what RPM those pipes are for. I think Dyno Port built most of Benders pipes, maybe they could help you out.

Ill have to look into the cdi thing but unfortunatley I know these pipes were made by bender bc i went with the motor and chassis and they were built and fitted there but its been 11 years so i dont remember specs

billbies said:
Ill have to look into the cdi thing but unfortunatley I know these pipes were made by bender bc i went with the motor and chassis and they were built and fitted there but its been 11 years so i dont remember specs

What happened to the CDI that was in the sled when they fit the pipes? The techs at Benders back then definately would have known about the CDI advance curve and I think they would have matched pipes to the sleds CDI or installed the proper CDI.

I run bender tripples on 2 of my SRX's
One set runs at 9800rpm the other at 8400
You will have to figure out what you have.. Take some pics of the pipes and post some measurements of the dimensions for us to compare with.. Also on the pipes just down from the coupling to the manifold sand down the paint in the bend of the pipe. There may be some stampings there that will help identify these..

jabber800 said:
I run bender tripples on 2 of my SRX's
One set runs at 9800rpm the other at 8400
You will have to figure out what you have.. Take some pics of the pipes and post some measurements of the dimensions for us to compare with.. Also on the pipes just down from the coupling to the manifold sand down the paint in the bend of the pipe. There may be some stampings there that will help identify these..

Jabber I would like to see your stuff! Too bad Ontario is the size of most Countries!
How do the 8400RPM pipes stack up against the 9800RPM pipes?

Two totally different types of pipe.. The 9800 pipes are a full race pipe with a very peaky power band.. Engine is ported very heavy aswell.. The 8400 pipes are on my big bore 780.. Run very well at trail rpm's and makes pretty decent hp. I have run Bender pipes on my v-max's aswell.. Was always satisfied with there results.. I'll post some pics of my sleds sometime..

Tod said:
My 97 700SX is turning 9200 with PSI tripples...........

The SX CDI's do not have a rev limiter, and hold 18 degrees of ignition timing above 7000 rpm, therefore you can use this CDI for any rpm.

modsrx said:
can't run more than 8600 with a stock srx cdi

sideshowBob said:
The stock CDI may be the limiting factor here. As many posts have indicated, the stock advance starts to retard quickly after 8500 RPM.

8500 rpm is not the issue with our CDI's. I have posted this before, and it should be make a sticky, but here are the 2001 SRX timing specs again:

7750 rpm - 18 degrees
8000 rpm - 13.5 degrees
8250 rpm - 10 degrees
8500 rpm - 9 degrees
8750 rpm - 8 degrees
9000 rpm - 4 degrees
9250 rpm - 0 degrees

You can spin the SRX motors anywhere under 9000 on the stock CDI, and still maintain decent timing. You can always bump up that timing slighly using an offset keyway, but it is not a good idea to do that when trail riding at lower rpm intervals. After that, it falls pretty hard.

Like Dan said, you need to figure out what pipes you have. If you are running stock cylinders as you had mentioned, ditch the pipes and go back to the stockers. Trail riding?.......run stock pipes.

valin said:
The SX CDI's do not have a rev limiter, and hold 18 degrees of ignition timing above 7000 rpm, therefore you can use this CDI for any rpm.

8500 rpm is not the issue with our CDI's. I have posted this before, and it should be make a sticky, but here are the 2001 SRX timing specs again:

7750 rpm - 18 degrees
8000 rpm - 13.5 degrees
8250 rpm - 10 degrees
8500 rpm - 9 degrees
8750 rpm - 8 degrees
9000 rpm - 4 degrees
9250 rpm - 0 degrees

You can spin the SRX motors anywhere under 9000 on the stock CDI, and still maintain decent timing. You can always bump up that timing slighly using an offset keyway, but it is not a good idea to do that when trail riding at lower rpm intervals. After that, it falls pretty hard.

Like Dan said, you need to figure out what pipes you have. If you are running stock cylinders as you had mentioned, ditch the pipes and go back to the stockers. Trail riding?.......run stock pipes.

Great info ! I thought the CDI timing dropped off more then that after 8500.[I just had another look at the specs you previously sent me]
How did you get all the timing specs?

Last edited:
jabber800 said:
I have run Bender pipes on my v-max's aswell.. Was always satisfied with there results.. I'll post some pics of my sleds sometime..

I am a big fan of the bender pipes as well. I run the Bender tripple pipes on our two SXs + had the Bender Quads on my Mod VMAX4 [until I switched to the higher RPM Hauck Howlers] I sold the Mod VMAX4 this fall.

sideshowBob said:
Great info ! I thought the CDI timing dropped off more then that after 8500.[I just had another look at the specs you previously sent me]
How did you get all the timing specs?

Through Yamaha themselves. It was like pulling teeth.

Good info, I looked into where the old cdi went and I have it but it is a 600 box bc we wanted the midrange timing advance,

bender makes 2 different sets of pipes for the srx.
1.)race pipes for pro & improved stock are the same - 9750 rpm. need high rpm box.
2.)big bore pipes - 84-8600. stock box.
bob

the problem are these were hand built at there shop test fit into our sled and I do not believe these are similar to any other pipes. But I am going to put the high rpm 600 box on and richen it up a touch for safety and go do a few 300 foot runs and see what happens my problem is i think I am chasing 3 gremlins high rpm box, gearing, clutching so i am trying to eliminate the cdi so then i can gear it and clutch it but it just goes to 9300 and sits there sounds good but goes no where

Thanks Ill update this weekend with findings and any more info is appreciated

Back