curious question

98+01srx

anyone know what the plastic sensor on the end of 01 srx carbs does? does it need to be plugged in? how do you adjust it properly?

98+01srx said:
anyone know what the plastic sensor on the end of 01 srx carbs does? does it need to be plugged in? how do you adjust it properly?
tps sensor. dont mess with it. leave it plugged in. there is a setting for it.

well i bought new carbs and the sensor got broken in shipping. so i have to take it off my old ones to put on the new ones. how do i go about setting them then?

98+01srx said:
well i bought new carbs and the sensor got broken in shipping. so i have to take it off my old ones to put on the new ones. how do i go about setting them then?
Procedure is in the service manual. You will need a multimeter and a 4.5V power supply. If you don't have any electrical experience, you might find a buddy someone who does. However, it is quite simple so if you are comfortable with testing electronics you should be fine.

I'm having a similar issue. Any one have an idea on what could be used to provide a 4.5v power supply? Also, I wonder if they are all set to the same position form the factory. Comparing mine (00 SRX) to a friends 01 its turned to the exact opposite position.

3 - "D" or "C" cells in series (end to end) are 4.5V - for that matter 3 "AA" and even "AAA" celss are 4.5V as well. I can't remember the current required though, as I always use a power supply - which reminds me I haven't been able to find for a while.

2001 Srx Tps

srxtps.jpg

srxtps2.jpg

Well, checked mine and it was way off. I had to rotate my TPS sensor as far as it would go in the opposite direction to obtain the correct voltage. I rode my sled like this for the past 2 seasons and it seemed to work okay but I always found it to be harder on fuel than my 98 SRX. I wonder if this could have anything to do with it?? Anyway, thanks for the info.

food for thought...

TPS adjust mid range timing and by only a few degrees, it has no effect on WOT.

if voltage is right via sevice man, your good.

daman said:
TPS adjust mid range timing and by only a few degrees, it has no effect on WOT.

if voltage is right via sevice man, your good.

Hmmm, I guess that could have some effect on fuel mileage since mid range is where one would spend the majority of time while trail driving. Either way its nice to have it fixed.

jaydaniels said:
Well, checked mine and it was way off. I had to rotate my TPS sensor as far as it would go in the opposite direction to obtain the correct voltage. I rode my sled like this for the past 2 seasons and it seemed to work okay but I always found it to be harder on fuel than my 98 SRX. I wonder if this could have anything to do with it?? Anyway, thanks for the info.

Looking at it from the PTO side, is it now rotated fully clockwise?

sideshowBob said:
Looking at it from the PTO side, is it now rotated fully clockwise?

Its now rotated fully counter-clockwise. It was rotated fully clockwise. Just as seen in the picture in this tread. I would say the previous owner had changed it.

jaydaniels said:
Its now rotated fully counter-clockwise. It was rotated fully clockwise. Just as seen in the picture in this tread. I would say the previous owner had changed it.

Mine is rotated fully clockwise on my 2002...I will check it as well!
Thanks!

Mine is just about full clockwise its the only way i have seen them. So if all it does is mess with the timing what happens if i just unplug it? I am already advanced 3 degree from a timing key

sideshowBob said:
OK...I just finished checking the TPS on my 2002 SRX. I followed the shop manual's test procedure right down to the 3 batteries.
My TPS was rotated fully clockwise and was way out on the voltage test, I had to rotate the sensor counter clockwise almost to its full travel to get the specified voltage...just as jaydaniels had to on his.

Yeah, same thing. When at idle voltage should have been somewhere around .6 and I was showing around 1.7 I believe. Over 1 for sure. I wonder if these were set wrong at factory of people have been tampering with them.

sideshowBob said:
My numbers were very close to yours, they were so far off that it leads me to believe they have been tampered with... I picked this sled up a few years ago with low miles. I think there was most likely a lack of understanding on how they functioned and people or even dealer techs were trying to solve a problem or get more perf by moving them around??

Yeah, agreed. My sled had a lot of mods done to it, most of witch made it slower and less efficient if anything. I think somebody tampered with the TPS attempting to increase power or something. You'll see in your other post on the "hard starting" issue I mentioned that possibly this could have something to do with it, who knows?

Not calling you guys out or anything but you sure you did the procedure right?, i never had to adjust one but it seems funny that both yours needed cranked over to get in the spec range,unless like you said it was messed with,it seems funny that yamaha would had have them so far off , mine i think are around in the middle give or take a few deg,and i know them haven't been touched, ill have to look again.

like i said just asking is all....good to know tho thanks for posting back.

daman said:
Not calling you guys out or anything but you sure you did the procedure right?, i never had to adjust one but it seems funny that both yours needed cranked over to get in the spec range,unless like you said it was messed with,it seems funny that yamaha would had have them so far off , mine i think are around in the middle give or take a few deg,and i know them haven't been touched, ill have to look again.

like i said just asking is all....good to know tho thanks for posting back.

I haven't looked at mine and will check tonight, but I find it odd that they'd be so far off as well. One thing that comes to mind is the voltage required for the tester. Three c-cell batteries will actually output 4.8 volts (1.59 each).

I know in automotive applications reference voltage affects sensor output and would assume the same case here. But you'd be off by .3 volts not 1.0 like SSB and JD are.

I know as fact mine has never been touched (accept for pre-delivery perhaps). I'll look and post back.

snomofo said:
I haven't looked at mine and will check tonight, but I find it odd that they'd be so far off as well. One thing that comes to mind is the voltage required for the tester. Three c-cell batteries will actually output 4.8 volts (1.59 each).

I know in automotive applications reference voltage affects sensor output and would assume the same case here. But you'd be off by .3 volts not 1.0 like SSB and JD are.

I know as fact mine has never been touched (accept for pre-delivery perhaps). I'll look and post back.

Well, for starters I know mine were touched because the bolts were all rounded off where somebody used vice-grips to loosen them. As for the procedure it was followed as per the manual. The exaact output voltage of your power source is not really that important (within reason) because what your are checking is actually a precentage of that. First you check the open circuit voltage and multiply that by the variable to determine the final voltage reading when the sled is at idle. If you have 4.7 volts x .136 = .64. This is what you should read at idle when checking voltage through the resistor/rehostat. If you have 4.5 volts open circuit x .136 = .61. I measured mine and it was something like 1.7 volts(not sure though) when rotated fully clockwise. Rotated fully counter-clockwise and got a reading of .64. So as far as I can tell, mine needed adjustment. When your throttle rotates it turns counter clockwise looking at it from the clutch side. Turning the TPS sensorfully clockwise would have the same effect as the throttle being opened just a bit. Basically the TPS sensor would be acting as if you are at low to mid-throttle when you are actually only at idle. Clear as mud eh!!

Last edited:

Back