Bogging in Deep snow

Duane313

I have a 03 SRX Viper with most of the tricks except motor changes. Triple pipes, 159x16 track, MPI tunnel, Alt. Compensator. It runs strong, but bogges out when running in powder over the hood. I have vents behind the windsheild. This year I gutted the Air box below the filter. Is this going to help my problem, or what do I need to do?

Hey I think yamasquaw has it. I believe your problem is lack of an exhaust deflector.
Mine and friends srx's would work great if pinned and on top of the deep snow but let that front end down and your done. It's an exhaust problem. Build yourself a little deflector so it doesn't plug.

Had the same problem with my Viper. Check the exhaust over for any small cracks. I didn't figure it out untill it became a big crack. Welded the crack, problem solved.

Read the last page of "the infamous powder bog" in the mnt. section.

You're most of the way there, although you don't need the air box gutted. Having the flo-rites in the dash is necessary, as this is the only place you want your sled to get air from. Now you need to block your underhood air from getting to the air box. Block off all the openings under the hood that allow air to come from the engine compartment to the air box. NOT the outside hood screens, you still want cold air to enter and help cool things. Just the openings around the headlight area, etc. I simply used duct tape (after cleaning the plastic really well). There are pics on the last page of the above mentioned thread. I tried tons of other "fixes", this is the one that solved it. My sled doesn't miss a beat anymore with tons of snow on the hood.

I had the same problem when I installed triple pipes. What happens is the triple pipes run hotter than the stock pipes. When the snow comes up over the hood, it gets into the engine compartment through the vents. When the snow contacts the super hot pipes, it turns into steam. Since the stock set up pulls some air from the engine compartment, the engine breathes steam.

So, do what they are telling you. Make sure you are pulling air from behind the windshield. Make sure all of the ways the steam can get to the air box are taped off. I also bought some of the flow right material from SLP and covered the upper hood vent to prevent snow from getting into the engine compartment.

I put this in the powder bog thread on the mountain side but I thought I would add it here also. Hi guys....I have been reading these threads since they started and the under the hood air is the key. But on a side note. I have always had this problem with my sled and have never cut the flow rites in, but this year I wrapped my pipes with exhaust wrap and put the shields back on. (The insulation was gone and pipes were wearing threw the shields)(I only wrapped under the shields) I have done nothing else to combat the bog!! I was out in the powder last weekend with snow covering the hood and NO BOG! First time I have ever been able to play in the powder without bogging!! I was pumped!!! With my sled all warmed up my pipes with shields are warm to the touch. I have a SRX 600 not a MM but if you have triple pipes and want to help you bog tremendously wrap them up you wont be sorry! ;)!

Note: jetting too can be effected when you wrap up your pipes, So check plugs and piston wash!!!!

Last edited:

Back