2011 sled rumors

I think everyone is well underestimating the power steering. imagine if the amount of ski pressure made NO DIFFERENCE in how heavy the front end of the sled felt. everyone likes the feel of a light sled on the trail. and everyone seems to cry that the apex does not bite hard enough in the corners. you could add a ton of ski pressure and it would still feel like a 440 fan. you would not get tired at the end of a long ride. hit a big hole and the handlebars would not get torqued in your hands. you would not need to counter steer with a ton of effort, the eps would help out. they got great reviews when they put it in their 4 wheeler. and we still have no idea how much weight has been lost or what the motor is. sorry for the long post, just always so aggravated when everyone HATES yamaha when they come out with something new and it isnt wht they thought yamaha should do. off my soapbox now ;)

03viperguy said:
I think everyone is well underestimating the power steering. imagine if the amount of ski pressure made NO DIFFERENCE in how heavy the front end of the sled felt. everyone likes the feel of a light sled on the trail. and everyone seems to cry that the apex does not bite hard enough in the corners. you could add a ton of ski pressure and it would still feel like a 440 fan. you would not get tired at the end of a long ride. hit a big hole and the handlebars would not get torqued in your hands. you would not need to counter steer with a ton of effort, the eps would help out. they got great reviews when they put it in their 4 wheeler. and we still have no idea how much weight has been lost or what the motor is. sorry for the long post, just always so aggravated when everyone HATES yamaha when they come out with something new and it isnt wht they thought yamaha should do. off my soapbox now ;)

I agree completly! I say don't knock it til you try it. I am anxious to see what its like. I will say the price tags are getting a bit out of control. It definatley makes a guy think how much is to much. The price will be the only thing making me hesitate if the sled is all its hyped up to be. (Lets see 2 2010 rev 600's or 1 new yamaha?) It seems like Yamaha is begining to design sleds for the high dollar consumer, not the average rider. I have been loyal to yamaha for a while now but the price tags are making me explore other brands. I bought a 08 Nytro new and that price really made me feel like I swalloed a baseball, sounds like this one will be a basket ball! I guess we will have to wait and see. I would like to ride one of these. I definatley won't be buying one until that happens! On the yamaha web sight says they will be their but not if they will have the 2011 sled there. If anyone knows please post or PM. Thanks.

It's nice to se that more folks have the same point of view as I do.

Don't knock it until you try it. :)

doc and horkn, also good on my end to see I am not alone. everyone is always "done with yamaha" this time of year. everything is getting pricey too though, I will say that. but the cat turbo is nearly $13500 with the ext setup (like an attak). and I just looked up the 600 rev, and in the adrenaline package it is $9700!!! for a 600 2 stroke! and it is $10500 for an x package! they are all up there in price for sure, but technology is never cheap and the new sleds DO have a lot more stuff than any sled did in the mid 90s. just like the bikes, a 600 is a lot more than it used to be, but also is a lot more bike tan it was

03viperguy said:
doc and horkn, also good on my end to see I am not alone. everyone is always "done with yamaha" this time of year. everything is getting pricey too though, I will say that. but the cat turbo is nearly $13500 with the ext setup (like an attak). and I just looked up the 600 rev, and in the adrenaline package it is $9700!!! for a 600 2 stroke! and it is $10500 for an x package! they are all up there in price for sure, but technology is never cheap and the new sleds DO have a lot more stuff than any sled did in the mid 90s. just like the bikes, a 600 is a lot more than it used to be, but also is a lot more bike tan it was

2010 mxz 600 sport msrp $8600 Buddy just bought one for a hair over 8 out the door! If yamaha's new sled is 16 its near double. I reallize they is no comparison in performance and technology between the two it was just a thought.

03viperguy said:

it's kinda like having a muscle car with power steering? YOU DON'T DO IT. Don't try and fix the weight issue. Don't try to make more HP. Don't fix the dam skis or the dam skids. Buy our $12,000 add after market skis to it add aftermarket skid to it. Change the handle bar warmers. You guys are right they are right on with this EPS. ;)! ok so they have new skis and warmer that work bought time. Poo come out with the rush. Doo the XP and the new 4 stroke and now the 800 e-tec. Both make major changes and yami tweaks the apex AGAIN. I will ride all four makes at sno fest in Old forge again and come to my conclusion. Oh and yes I have rented the nytro and apex for a full day of riding. ;)!

JMO:
After doing a 300 mile ride yesterday on my 2002 SRX, on ungroomed trails, I don't think power steering would be such a bad idea!

LOL!

As Yamaha keeps developing the Apex they keep getting closer to what I am waiting for:
-150 hp +++
-4 cylinder[ gotta keep the 4!!!]
-fuel injection
-128" - 136" 1 1/4" track
-actual[not claimed] 500lbs or less Dry weight
-reverse

If they kill the 4 cylinder before they get it lighter I guess I will have to buy the best 4 cylinder late model Apex they have made and build what I want...just like I have done with my SRX.[I removed over 60lbs and added 144" + reverse on it]

As I have said already...its just a matter of time + the right sled before I to am ridiing a 4 stroke.

Just sold my 06 Apex GT... and yes going to buy the new sled. I feel power steering will make that sled so much better.

I don't think the price will be 16,000... MSRP maybe 13,200 ...I could be way way off

Everyone take care

all u yami guys wanting 2 change well just think for a moment the 4 stroke power or 2 stroke power will out last all the other sled motors hands down, i rode a 800r doo and yes nice ride but the engine is just not going 2 last like yami thats why yami is # 1 in 6 catagories. so don,t forget that befotre u jump ship

I look at price of a yamaha as buying a high end car where the other brands are neons,or low end cars. I ride with a lot of cat guys the price is lower but they have fix they every time we come back from a 100 plus mile ride. So do I go for price, no liability, and an ok ride but fix it after. Or pay the money up frount, ride on dependablity, and no fixing on Mondays. Ski-doo's are not much better. Just my thought.

have 2 agree the bunggie works great and saves big time on ur back if u are turboing the yami then the weight is not a factor at all , allso dont hear anybody talkin about the cat weight on the f1 turbo a lot heavier than apex, now if we turbo the apex then we kill the cat and we are lighter

Just wish we had the snowmobile prices of North America here... the most expensive Yamaha model here, the 2010 Nytro MTX 163" has a price tag of €15990, with today's exchange rate that makes it around $22300 US or $23800 CDN. Not to mention that gasoline costs $7,4 a gallon... If I ever get to buy a brand new sled I'm gonna order it from the US and make it swim across the pond.

The price difference in spare parts is even greater, for example a single cylinder for 700 Viper is around $1400 here, and less than $300 there. No wonder people are ordering spares and accessories from North American dealers.

Last edited:
I've heard that Yamaha is coming whit a new apex chassi next year, if it's ture time will tell. I really like the present apex chassi and I think it's pretty awesome especially the MTX model but I hope they will come with a new one. It can only be better than it's forerunner.

staggs65 said:
yeah but it'll take 5 doos to get the mileage of one apex

And it would take 10 800 doos to get the milage of a apex. God dammet what a crappy engine they have. In my experience of them.

Wow just got back from the ski doo demo ride here in boonville NY. 800 etec is no joke. 800 etexc gets 15 MPG if you are beating on it and 19-20mpg if you ride easy.1200 4tec turns with ease (NO EPS). Now I can't wait for old forge demo rides so I can ride the NEW Tweaked apex vs the 1200 4tec and 800 etec. ;)!

Last edited:

Back