Electric start install help needed

No go on the reverse. Maybe I will let here drag it off the trailer once, she will probably change her mind then of cut me off. One or the other. Need to finish a servive on a Polaris and then maybe I can get back to finishing her's. Need it done by friday. She wants to ride saturday.

Gil

Got the e-start wired up tonight and cranked it over enough to get it started after I cleaned the carbs. Did a little warm up to check for leaks , adjust the throttle, bla bla bla. Choked on the fogging oil smoke and shut it down. Went back again later to try the e-start again and no go. Started it with the recoil and it started fine. Shut it down and tried the e-start and got a little back fire as the starter turned the clutch maybe one revolution. Checked the fuse and it was blone on the main starter wire . How big of a fuse can I run in that relay. 10 amp in there right now. Maybe this is where that 30 amp is supposed to come in somewhere. Wish I had some other one to look at that has e-start and the 30 amp fuse box. Wonder if it's a inline fuse .

I was using the battery out of my Virago. It was to big to fit in the holder but just wanted to see if the starter worked.

10 amp

The 30 amp fuse is on the main battery wire between the battery and relay in case the starter or positive circut goes to ground shorting out the starter circut and preventing the cable to burn up. The 10 amp is only used to actuate the relay to join the positive cables to the starter motor. Replace the fuse and then remove the red and red white wire, check on relay which terminal has 12 volts. trouble gotto go call you tomorrow.

circuts

Sorry ! The Red wire on the relay should be live 12 volts constantly and the red/white has 12 volts when cranking only. With the red and red/white wires disconnected off of the relay use a screwdriver and touch both relay terminals togther WARNING STARTER WILL ENGAGE AND TURN MOTOR this will eliminate the key circut on the sled and isolate electronics, if the fuse blows again disconnect starter and touch terminals if fuse blows relay is faulty. if it is fine reconnect both wires with key in off position, if fuse is still good turn key to RUN position and MANUALLY with starter rope start engine, if fuse is good disconnect red/white wire and with ohm meter with one lead to ground on engine and the other to red/white should have no continuity, if it shows continuity crank red/white circut is defective which you will have to remove key assy. Hope this helps You can check it any sequence this way was where my head was at. Also make sure starter wires are the proper guage thickness for resistance and securely attached . Battery ground to motor

E-start is up and running. Haven't blown a fuse since and I have started it several times over the last 2 days. Just incase some other members are trying to get electric start without buying a kit. This e-start came from a 97 vmax twin and is installed on a SXR600 triple. I believe Yamaha has only 3 or 4 different starters. The only thing I had to change was get a longer negative battery cable because the battery is flipped around compared to the SXR kit and it would not reach. Other then a few questions to some members and it was pretty simple to install. I got better info from this site then the install instructions in the service manual. I have some pictures that I have to up load later to help others see what was done.

Thanks Gill for the help with the relay wiring.

Gill you lurking here any where. Went out for a ride today . Fired up the sled with e-start drove to the gas station to fill up. Went to start the sled again and the e-start wouldn't work. The relay was just clicking. Both fuses are good. Any Ideas

clicking

Check to see if battery is above 12 volts. This next test the starter may engage so keep clear. Turn key to crank and check on the relay to see if cable to starter has battery voltage. If it does check battery ground to motor, if it is good starter is faulty brushes hanging up. shorted windings etc. If the relay clicks and the big positive cable to relay terminal from battery is 12 volts and there is no battery voltage to big positive cable to starter the relay is faulty If battery is discharged charging circut is faulty

What do I remove if I want my battery to charge but not the electric start to turn around? 97 venture 500.

Yeah, I thought that but I wasn't sure whether that would cause other problems again. I can nothing about wiring and electricity and that stuff. Thanks. Another thing, where does the starter motor get its ground from?

Back