1979 340 Enticer - Carb Adjustment Specs? Will only run with choke on

99SRX600RRR

Trying to help my boss with his kids sled that he just got.

This is what it is doing:

It DID take 10-12 pulls to get it started. Once started, it would bog just off idle and stall, so much so that we set the idle up with the idle screw on top of the carb. Idle was high enough to almost make the clutch engage, but it worked to let the kids ride a little bit.

10-12 pulls was not good for the kids to start it, so I took the carb off, cleaned everything with carb cleaner, blew it with air, etc, and put it back on. Sled started better, but would still stall just off idle if you didn't set the idle up or have the choke on.

So, I took the carb off AGAIN and cleaned it even more thoroughly this time. Made absolutely sure the pilot jet was not clogged, etc. Put on a new pulse line from the crankcase to the fuel pump as the old one was cracked.

Put the carb back on, and now it starts GREAT (1-3 pulls with choke) but WILL NOT IDLE or run without the choke full on?!?!?! If you have the choke full on, you can ride around with it and it screams, runs basically fine at full throttle. As soon as you flip the choke off it dies completely.

Obviously, this tells me that it is not getting enough fuel, right? Inline fuel filter is full of fuel.

Am I missing something?

Did I accidentally bump the floats and cause them to underfuel the carb?

What are the adjustment specs on this carb?

Please help, the kids want to ride!

Thank you.

:letitsnow

Last edited:

UPDATE:

After the fourth time cleaning the carb, the 340 now runs as it should. Power down low and high, no (or VERY little bogging).

So now with the 340 going, the two Enticer 250s are doing the same thing. Bogging down low, not starting the best.

I would love to know more about this 36mm upgrade. Does it only apply to the 340 or is this an option for the 250. These little Yammies are the best, but the carb problems are extremely annoying. I've always been a Yamaha guy and my boss and his family a Polaris guy. I am trying to turn them onto these Yamahas, but our patience is growing thin - and I love these little sleds!

Again, tell me more about the carb upgrades available for the 250s.

PM or email if you want, but then again, this is important info for those that are tired of messing with these carbs. (Also: what's the best way to get the carbs off the 250s? - Very difficult compared to the 340s.)

i put a 340 set up on my 250 and it runs great the boot you have to make the hole a little large aznd jet the carb down a lil zzzbut alot more power goin to the bigger carb

Switched my ET250 keihin with a Mikuni round slide 34mm.....the thing is freakin awesome. I may do the change to my ET340 - round slide with a 36mm.....

I know this is a really old post, but I would like some more info on the mikuni carb mod, or proper set-up of a stock carb for a 79-82 340. What do you do with the oil injection line when a mikuni carb is put on. Also another thing, my oil line returns slowly to the at rest position if you move the throttle. I assume all it will do is give more oil than needed on the bottom end of the throttle.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

If someone hasn't already, it might be nice to have a tutorial/cheat sheet for these carb upgrades, there are lots of threads where guys have been battling with the vintage carbs.

Back