oil pump gap 23.5 mm

A couple of bucks

VIP Member
I have my oil cable gap set at @ 23.5 mm in order to achieve approx 1.25 qts. per tank. Is this anything to worry about. It was set @ 21 mm when I bought it this winter but it would go through probably 2 qts/tank at that setting. I have gotten it down to the 23.5 but is still a bit rich (plugs quite dark).
Running synthetic and stock jetting.

Thanks
Dannyboy

every sled seems to be different.My srx is set at 19 mm for about 50 to 1.
My SX600 is set at 21 mm to achieve approx the same ratio.My stepson's v-max..unless I calcultaed wrong..is set for 22 to 1 right now...will check it again this weekend when he fills up the fluids again.

Don't get me wrong...it runs EXTREMELLY well. Went up against a 800 REV a couple of weeks ago...and that 700 stood her ground well.It was neck and neck the whole race. I thought for sure an 800 w/ power valves would eat my 700 non-power valved for lunch. Unless he just baited me till the next time we line up.
Just wondering if this 23.5mm isn't unheard of.

I would calculate the ratio out.

fill the oil to the mark on the tank and keep track of oil used and gallons of used and do the math.

you can do this over a weekend or a trip or go put on 15 miles and fill both gas and oil.

i ran 100 miles and used 7.5 gallons of fuel and used 16 oz of oil and came up with a 60:1 ratio with my pump cable aprox center of spec.

when doing the 10-15 mile method i used a ratio rite cup to measure both oil and gas

this also helps with different oil types since a non synthetic oil will tend have a thicker base and diffrent pour point vs. a synthetic. so if you dont check it and start running klotz or amsoil you will find yourself wasting oil and running richer.

Last edited:
If thats what your coming up with go for it,nothing to be alarmed by,1 qt to 1 tank of fuel.

synthetics seem to flow better thus more gets used.

Well that good to hear. I think I will take the adjustment out in 1/4 turn incerments to get a bit closer to 50 to 1. A educated guess at my current mix would probably be @ 45 to 1.
Will have record the EXACT fuel used next time I fill up. Just been going off the gas guage. Although I have been measuring exactly how much oil I use w/ a 1 qt pyrex measuring cup that got pilfered from the kitchen.....she never used that one anyway.

A couple of bucks said:
Will have record the EXACT fuel used next time I fill up. Just been going off the gas guage. Although I have been measuring exactly how much oil I use w/ a 1 qt pyrex measuring cup that got pilfered from the kitchen.....she never used that one anyway.
Yup record the fuel too ,need both to calculate,sounds like your on top of things. ;)!

Back