I did it..Sorry

1. I'm 43 and my jumping days are beyond me. Why would I buy a crossover?

2. How often do you jump your 4 stroke?

3. I've never owned a sled beyond 4,000 miles. So, I guess I don't have to worry about not making it to 10,000.

4. Check around, weight is a huge priority in snowmobiling. Show me one person who hasn't at least once expressed a concern about weight. As my original topic stated: when/if I get stuck exploring, I sure will be happy trying to move 450lbs rather than 600 plus.

5. It's all about opinions. I know and have known MANY who ride Doo and have never had a problem, so stop preaching like it happens to ever Doo made.

I will love this sled, take care of it and play a lot off trail. Enjoy it for a few years and trade it in. High mileage is not a priority to me. And yes, I'm sorry to say: "the engine and "long term reliability" is the only advantage I will give to Yamaha. since I don't keep them that long, why should I care?

drives me nuts when people bash other brands with no warranted reason!

[drives me nuts when people bash other brands with no warranted reason!]

Last time i looked it was a yamaha website?I quess as long as you said your sorry its allright?I shure as heck wont try to talk you out of it.lol

imagine if one was on Dootalk and then mentioned they were buying a Yamaha,the sh*t would be flying there for sure.One would be burned at the stake.I think you will get some form of bashing one way or another when you mention the competition brand on this site.After all..blue who is correct..this is a yammie site.We do love our Blue here.Doesn't matter if it is sleds,cars,trucks..etc.People are passionate about their toys and will defend them..that's human nature!!!! But enjoy your new ride.

Zachalyse said:
4. Check around, weight is a huge priority in snowmobiling. Show me one person who hasn't at least once expressed a concern about weight. As my original topic stated: when/if I get stuck exploring, I sure will be happy trying to move 450lbs rather than 600 plus.

Just curious as to why you compare the dry weight of the Doo to the wet weight of the Yamaha?

By no means am I suggesting your wrong, just thought it was an interesting detail from this end.

Have you tried a Yamaha 4 stroke for more than a 10 mile test drive?

even if it is true the 450 lbs,you get stuck in deep snow and you ain't just gonna pick it up off the snow and turn it around.I have gotten the older lighter sleds from many years back stuck going uphill,and nearly had a heart attack trying to get them turned around.

"I did it, I'm sorry" is the title of the thread.

This implies you feel you did something wrong. An admission with a tinge of guilt attached. Do something like that on a forum like this and you will get responses like you've seen. Some you will like others you won't. I can't believe anyone wouldn't see it coming. It was clear to me from the get-go that there would be some backlash from the anti-Doo crowd but I think it was minor.

A quote from Will Smith in the movie Men in Black.

"Don't want nothin. Don't start nothin, Won't be nothin."

Nuff said

Now on 4 strokes. Everyone talks about them as being fat pigs and all the blame is pointed at the powerplant every time the subject is brought up. I think this is nieve, shallow thinking (at best). The facts, figures and fingers pointed by the anti-4 stroke crowd make it sound as though a 4 stroke engine is twice as (if not more) heavy as a comparable 2 stroke. This is FAR, FAR, FAR frome the truth. The fact is, is when most of these comparisons are being made they are not being made with comparables at all. To make a fair comparison on weight you must compare engines with the same number of cylinders and displacement. You must also factor in the engineering it takes to acheve durability. Durability comes at a cost. It can be counted in pounds. To compare an 800cc 2 stroke twin to a 1000cc 4 stroke quad without factoring in the extra parts and the durability between the two is not a comparison at all. It's just a "mines better than yours" personal preference. Compare an Apex engine to a Vmax-4 engine or a Nitro engine to an SRX engine and I'll bet the difference in pounds isn't that much at all. I'll bet most would be surprised at how close they really are. If a person want's to sacrifice long term durability for weight and HP, fine, I have no problem with it but tell it like it is. It's not that hard.

Most of what you see in weight differences is in the manufacurers ways of building things and what they are trying to achieve. Yamaha is not one to sacrifice durability or inovation for weight. They never have. The same can't be said for others. Most of what you see in weight differences between manufacturers is how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to be the "light weight" on the scale and the engine is only one part of the equasion. There's a lot more to it than 2 extra strokes.

opsled

opsled said:
"I did it, I'm sorry" is the title of the thread.

This implies you feel you did something wrong. An admission with a tinge of guilt attached. Do something like that on a forum like this and you will get responses like you've seen. Some you will like others you won't. I can't believe anyone wouldn't see it coming. It was clear to me from the get-go that there would be some backlash from the anti-Doo crowd but I think it was minor.

A quote from Will Smith in the movie Men in Black.

"Don't want nothin. Don't start nothin, Won't be nothin."

Nuff said

Now on 4 strokes. Everyone talks about them as being fat pigs and all the blame is pointed at the powerplant every time the subject is brought up. I think this is nieve, shallow thinking (at best). The facts, figures and fingers pointed by the anti-4 stroke crowd make it sound as though a 4 stroke engine is twice as (if not more) heavy as a comparable 2 stroke. This is FAR, FAR, FAR frome the truth. The fact is, is when most of these comparisons are being made they are not being made with comparables at all. To make a fair comparison on weight you must compare engines with the same number of cylinders and displacement. You must also factor in the engineering it takes to acheve durability. Durability comes at a cost. It can be counted in pounds. To compare an 800cc 2 stroke twin to a 1000cc 4 stroke quad without factoring in the extra parts and the durability between the two is not a comparison at all. It's just a "mines better than yours" personal preference. Compare an Apex engine to a Vmax-4 engine or a Nitro engine to an SRX engine and I'll bet the difference in pounds isn't that much at all. I'll bet most would be surprised at how close they really are. If a person want's to sacrifice long term durability for weight and HP, fine, I have no problem with it but tell it like it is. It's not that hard.

Most of what you see in weight differences is in the manufacurers ways of building things and what they are trying to achieve. Yamaha is not one to sacrifice durability or inovation for weight. They never have. The same can't be said for others. Most of what you see in weight differences between manufacturers is how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to be the "light weight" on the scale and the engine is only one part of the equasion. There's a lot more to it than 2 extra strokes.

opsled
AMEN!!! Well put.

I just switched to a 4 stroke in march and only got to ride it around the field because of the trails were closed but can't wait to get out there on my 2010 Nytro XTX all I do know is that I love the power and torque it has. I still have 2 600 twins a mtnmax and an sx I do know this much the fuel mileage should be alot better with the 4 stroke and I don't have to spend $35 a gallon for 2 stroke oil. Good luck with your doo but I will NEVER switch to anything but a yammi.

Hay,, both rock......... I have three doo's with over 10,000 miles apiece ,,, I am a Yamaha guy that also has three sleds working on 8,000 miles each, and loving every minute of all involved.........

Nice sled. Hope you don't have any problems. Friend of mine bought a Doo 800 last year and looks similar to yours. Rode it for a couple miles and boy is that back suspension nice. Front felt light but going from my super tanker to the Doo is like comparing a 68 charger to a new corrvette.

As far as Yamaha to Ski-Donkey well I would lean toward Yamaha but honestly none of them give me a warm fuzzy feeling. They all seem plasticy, flimzy, cheap looking body panels.

it really does,ent matter 2 me what people ride but like some of u say compare apples 2 apples and so on every body rides what they ride for a reason some like fixing every time they go riding and some like 2 get towed home. yamis have allways been called tanks ever since the vmax4 was built but i can say that these tanks are still runniing and laying a beating on these new sleds and i have a vmax4 for every situation snow dragger , ice dragger, mountain vmax4 that still out climbs these new sleds yes it is a little heavier but u learn how 2 handle them and if u know what ur doing then u do ur turn outs be fore ur stuck, i,ve rode yamis all my life 40 years and yes i,ve rode the others but not anything i,de like 2 keep or say i,m proud 2 have.

would not own anything but a yamaha, best built sled period!good luck with your sled.dont hit anything with your ski-doo it will fold like a pretzel!. have delivered many arctic cat, polaris and ski-doo chassis,s to dealerships in recent years for just hitting stumps in the snow.

points well said lighter is not better thats why yami is what they are. that would be cool come 2 a race with me and watch the babies cry, ive seen it all 2 many times and actually those kind of people really anoy me. i,m allways out numbered like 4yamis 2 every 50 others AL

Al..would like to sometimes.Didn't we talk years back on here.Didn't we talk about high mpg carbs and the such....and a certain somebody with the scoop..can't say much more on it.

Well, all I can say is I've ridden with many brands throughout the past 30 years. The only brand sled that has continuously had problems are the cats. In all my years riding, my buds on doos have gone as long and as far as my Yamis have. We've all had our times of hitting stumps and rocks and all fared just fine. I can recall many occasion where the group would venture off trail to play and I as well as a few other friends on yamis would sit back and watch because we knew we wouldn't be able to follow.

I get it, I'm on a yamaha site here. I've been here for over 5 years now and absolutely have loved my yamaha's. But I'm not so arrogant as to claim all other brands are junk and will fold and break and blow up........ well, maybe cats. :)

I've chosen to give the renegade a shot from witnessing many years of friends having a blast on their doos and not having any problems what so ever.

And to the guy claiming he can go anywhere he wants with his vmax4, I don't doubt you, but I bet I will be able to do it with far less effort. I've owned many Vmax4's.

Maybe someday I will be on a 4stroke. I'm just not there yet.

Zachalyse said:
Well, all I can say is I've ridden with many brands throughout the past 30 years. The only brand sled that has continuously had problems are the cats. In all my years riding, my buds on doos have gone as long and as far as my Yamis have. We've all had our times of hitting stumps and rocks and all fared just fine. I can recall many occasion where the group would venture off trail to play and I as well as a few other friends on yamis would sit back and watch because we knew we wouldn't be able to follow.

I get it, I'm on a yamaha site here. I've been here for over 5 years now and absolutely have loved my yamaha's. But I'm not so arrogant as to claim all other brands are junk and will fold and break and blow up........ well, maybe cats. :)

I've chosen to give the renegade a shot from witnessing many years of friends having a blast on their doos and not having any problems what so ever.

And to the guy claiming he can go anywhere he wants with his vmax4, I don't doubt you, but I bet I will be able to do it with far less effort. I've owned many Vmax4's.

Maybe someday I will be on a 4stroke. I'm just not there yet.

There are pros and cons to almost everything out there. My other post on this thread was an in general "how I look at things" answer to some of what had been said earlier in this thread and in many other places about 4 strokes. Not as a bash on you or anyone in specific and I hope it wasn't percieved that way. I like to look at the big picture first then maybe get into details and one thing I can say from a big picture perspective is that without compitition, variety and differences in personal preferance this sport and everything else in this world would be farrrr less interesting.

So to add what I forgot to say in my other post "Good Luck with your new ride and I hope you throughly enjoy it".

opsled

opsled said:
"snip

snip opsled

While I agree generally with your statements about durability, IMO - power to weight is the true-ist form of comparision.

Most of my riding buddies are on Doos and have been since the early 80's SRXs. My one buddy puts well over 6K a year and currently has 13K on his '09 Rev. Regularly maintained of course.

Not sure if they still are, but at one time Rotax was the only approved powertrain for light weight personal aircraft. I'd say that's quite an endorsement for durability.

Enjoy the new Doo Zack.

snomofo said:
Most of my riding buddies are on Doos and have been since the early 80's SRXs. My one buddy puts well over 6K a year and currently has 13K on his '09 Rev. Regularly maintained of course.

Not sure if they still are, but at one time Rotax was the only approved powertrain for light weight personal aircraft. I'd say that's quite an endorsement for durability.

Uh Oh! you've gone and done it now! Prepare yourself.

Back