I did it..Sorry

Not sure if they still are, but at one time Rotax was the only approved powertrain for light weight personal aircraft.

Easy 2 find parts when you crashland!!arfarf

Good luck on your sled. Looks real nice. I agree, you don't want to get a Yamaha stuck!! My Attak can be a back breaker just moving around in the garage!

I figure I'll be looking for another sled next year. By then my Attak will have over 18,000 miles. I will never go back to 2-stroke but the 4-tec interests me....Only other sled that I would trust. I think you have to keep an open mind when purchasing. Its your money, buy what you want. Its not good for any of the manufacturers for people to have blind loyalty...

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:
snomofo said:
While I agree generally with your statements about durability, IMO - power to weight is the true-ist form of comparision.

Most of my riding buddies are on Doos and have been since the early 80's SRXs. My one buddy puts well over 6K a year and currently has 13K on his '09 Rev. Regularly maintained of course.

Not sure if they still are, but at one time Rotax was the only approved powertrain for light weight personal aircraft. I'd say that's quite an endorsement for durability.

Enjoy the new Doo Zack.

No time now to explain now but DOO (pun intended) some reserch on UL engine applications and you will find that Rotax has not been the "end all" when it comes to power plants for UL's but rather has been the "only choice". That is changing and the Yamaha Genisis 3 cylinder carbed engine (Vector) is making a HUGE!!! name for itself in that arena. It is not with the help of Yamaha Corp, but rather with those who know a good thing when they see it and have the ingenuity to make it work. This engine is now flying in three different forms that I know of and making many of the Rotax flyers more than envious.

opsled

Last edited:
Well, I for one, even though I purchased a new Doo, would feel way more safe in an aircraft knowing it was powered by a Yamaha rather than a Rotax.

Just so things are clear, I never tried to claim the Doo motor was better than the Yamaha. I bought the renegade for the chassis and weight savings. If I could drop my 700 triple in it, I would be in heaven.

Zachalyse said:
Well, I for one, even though I purchased a new Doo, would feel way more safe in an aircraft knowing it was powered by a Yamaha rather than a Rotax.

Just so things are clear, I never tried to claim the Doo motor was better than the Yamaha. I bought the renegade for the chassis and weight savings. If I could drop my 700 triple in it, I would be in heaven.

I won't claim to know anything about UL aircraft... I read it on the internet ;>)

And I too am not claiming one powertrain better then the other; they've all had thier stars and turds.

I have not been a fan of big twins either (hence the triple/triple I ride), and if any of the mfgs. could make the twin run as smooth as most triples do and shave weight, I'd look at one.

The brand loyalty thing gets kinda old especially when "the Hot" sled of the year changes from mfg. to mfg. year to year. I've even lost my distain for Polaris over the years but can understand folks bashing one mfg. vs. the other due to a bad experience. But some around here do it just to do it.

Reminds me of the finger pointing rule... with the other three pointing back.

Again, I hope you enjoy many trouble free miles on your new Doo Zack.

Nice sled!

Both 2 and 4 strokes have their place. We have some of both. I'll never go back to 2 stoke but I'll admit, the lighter 2 strokes can be a blast! I'm in the process of installing a 1.25 Ripsaw on my wife's PZ500 with 4 8t drivers. That should help it out a little and make it more fun.

zach,

you are going to love the sled, it is so nimble you are going to not know your max coming into a turn, it seems limitless. If you around thew 200lb mark bring your front limiter strap in one hole, the factory setup is geared towards a 121 and gives you to much push in the corners with the 136. I am a Yammie, Doo, and a Cat fan, but I just can not stand Poolaris, I have no clue why, maybe it was due to its dominance in sales in the 90's. I love my new Cat, I loved my older Yammie(the ol pig), and I love riding my buddies 09 Etec Renegade. Doesnt matter what you buy nowadays, your getting a great machine, as long as it is yours and you get a good season!

don't worry guy bombardier make airplane too and they don't seem to be very good they fall every where lollllll..so keep your old yammi

After finally owning and riding an 07 Apex Mtn for 1600 miles last season in all types of terrain, from the slopes of Mt Jefferson, Island Park, Buck's (south of Big Sky, MT), Bear Lodge Wyoming, and Livingston Montana, to the flats of central ND, I absolutely love it.

And if you think Yamaha 4 strokes are pigs, thats your own opinion. A buddy of mine rides an M7 and after helping him get unstuck a few times it was his time to help me. He came over and we each grabbed a ski and pulled my big "tank" around. He looked at me and goes "Wow, this isn't as heavy as I thought it was gonna be". After getting unstuck numerous times last winter with my Apex, I still love every minute of everyday I spend riding, doing maintance, or modding it.

Too each their own on brand preference. If I was to buy a brand new 2011 it wouldn't be a Yamaha after they dropped the Apex Mtn. But I have a feeling I will have my 07 Apex Mtn for quite a few years anyways. The 2010 M8 sure performed well when I rode with one last year. Quite the sled.

Always remember this....Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them, but yours just stink!! :rofl:

Last edited:
Every manufacturer has had had ups and downs. I tried the Nytro. It was a great sled but it didn't fit my riding style. I went with the 2010 M8 cause it suited my riding style and ability. I won't say it's the end all be all cause I ride with them all and like I said. Everyone has their ups and downs.

Best of luck on the new ride!

Back