Best lake runner

well the vmax 4 is scary fast with quadzillas turbos they are 4 stroke killers and thats hands down, problem with most 2 day that are riding know nothing about these sleds its only us golden oldies that come out 2 play with the children and teach a good old muscle show. the really good points i can not think of any other sled thats ever been built that is as bulit proof as the vmax4, so i will put my money where it will not blow up. vmax4 RULES

I have to agree 100% on the vmax-4 being bulletproof. My '93 I drive has 24,000 km's and still runs very strong. My g/f also drives a '93 and it is closing in on 25,000 km's, also a very strong runner. I am not certain when they were rebuilt last, but I am still running 120 lbs of compression even across the board. Not bad for 16 thousand plus miles each. I always wondered what the vmax-4 engine would do with powervalves, someone out there must have tried it.

Wait 'till you see what we reveal for this fall....bye, bye, to the 560 horsepower, the turbo sled is getting an extreme makeover under the hood! We may try to display the new combination at Haydays 2010, we'll see.

this post has seemed to have turned into a Vmax4 post...lol..i like it..i will be doing some research...see what i can find...Hey rustman...lol..where did that name come from?

It's a reference to Neil Young, possibly the greatest Canadian ever and one of the best songwriter/performers of our time. He's an upstanding individual.

ok...but i thought you were a Cat Stevens man lol....i will have to drop over again some time soon...drink some beers and see if i remeber what 4 cylinders sound like....finda longer skid yet?

jminor1 said:
good points. If you keep the SX get the long travel suspension out of there though. I have also seen a stout SX from a member on here that had CPR triples on it.

Just a quick question here......was thinking about sending my stock sx rear shocks in to long travel them and get a BIG BOY spring on them. How bad will the top end be affected?

Dan

I put a rx1 skid under mine...11.5" travel and im not really sure that i noticed a difference...it cant be much...its been said you can lose like 10mph...i never notice a change

travel

If I remember correctly, Bruce at Pioneer Performance said that a long travel on the sx 700 is 9.5 inches. I can see some loss at top end with a longer travel skid......but nothing a trail/ditch rider would notice.

YA A SLED LIKE JUSTINS IS NO DOUBT THE ULTIMATE LAKE ROCKET TO ME. PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE JUST HOW MUCH HP THIS ENGINE CAN MAKE. YOU GUYS THAT STARTING BUYING SNOWMOBILES IN 1998, REALLY NEED TO DO SOME HOMEWORK. I AT THE OTHER END OF WHAT JUSTIN HAS, I STILL RUN A TOTALLY STOCK 1995 VMAX 800 ON THE GRASS TO BOOT. KEEP IN MIND, STOCK, BUT VERY WELL SET-UP STOCK !!!! 3:16 (yammie tony)

a lake rocket mounted with a parachute lol but thats true and the other part u will need a very big set of balls 2 ride that one on the lake with out getting wacked buy a heave in the ice, i like speed but i have a buddy that was busted up very badly from trying 2 be the hot dog on the lake, hit a ice heave at 80 mph wrote the sxr off and nearly him self.

bufalobob said:
find a used set of bender triple pipes for the sx. that will add around 25 h.p.. if that's still not enough send the cylinders to bender for trail porting. the sx is a very light & potent pkg. when modified correctly.
bob

We've dynoed these sleds. Not one set of pipes added 25Hp by themselves. it takes a lot of Porting and head work as well as a good set of pipes to get into the 140HP range on an SX motor.

Hey Bob I would have loved to have run your 835 with my little 700. I'm pretty sure it would have looked at lot like Tyler beating up on those bender vipers at Lanzi's a few years ago!!!

the 700 is gone and I have a stroked 1000 being built as we speak. They new owner will be running that 700 at the world series this year.

My 700 made 185 Hp on Carl Galloway's dyno. It made more power every pull we made not less like most motor's do.

Attachments

• IMG_2825 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2825 (Medium).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2828 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2828 (Medium).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
jtssrx:
my post said around 25 h.p. which is accurate. i don't have a bender triple pipe dyno sheet in front of me but i do have one for power inc. triples from bruce schrader @ pioneer. stock was 115.2 @ 8500 rpm & stock w/ power inc. triples was 137.1 @ 8400 rpm. that's 22 h.p.. i would call that around 25 h.p. wouldn't you?
what's w/ all the chest thumping & self adoration in the rest of your post?? my 835 is a trail sled not a race sled. now if you want to compare apples to apples my bender IS700 srx made 191 h.p. @ 9750. it was undefeated & record holder 4 years straight @ nbssr in IS700 @ ISR weight ( 750# ). i sold it to a ty member ( jim marston from maine ) 4 years ago & he still runs it.
if you're building a stroked 1000 viper you're wasting your $$$. seen this attempted before & they just don't make the power of a doo, cat or polaris 1000.
bob

JUST WAS ON JIMS DYNO FRIDAY WITH A 99 700 SX RED HEAD WE BEEN TAR RACING, PORTED UP GOOD BY FULLER WHEN HE WAS AT BENDERS AND THERE 9000 RPM RACE PIPES. I CAN TELL YA JT THAT SLED MADE ALL OFF A TRAIL PORT 780 SRX YOUR BUDDIE CPR BUILT. MY GUESS THESE PIPES ADDED 30 HP ON THIS MOTOR. THESE SLEDS WERE 112 STOCK. 3:16 (yammie tony)

bufalobob said:
jtssrx:
my post said around 25 h.p. which is accurate. i don't have a bender triple pipe dyno sheet in front of me but i do have one for power inc. triples from bruce schrader @ pioneer. stock was 115.2 @ 8500 rpm & stock w/ power inc. triples was 137.1 @ 8400 rpm. that's 22 h.p.. i would call that around 25 h.p. wouldn't you?
what's w/ all the chest thumping & self adoration in the rest of your post?? my 835 is a trail sled not a race sled. now if you want to compare apples to apples my bender IS700 srx made 191 h.p. @ 9750. it was undefeated & record holder 4 years straight @ nbssr in IS700 @ ISR weight ( 750# ). i sold it to a ty member ( jim marston from maine ) 4 years ago & he still runs it.
if you're building a stroked 1000 viper you're wasting your $$$. seen this attempted before & they just don't make the power of a doo, cat or polaris 1000.
bob

I've seen all these SX pipes all dynoed myself. I've never seen a set make 25 hp. Also I've seen these bender sleds run first had. my sled at weight as an improver ran 5.3 in 500 feet on the grass. As a pro stocker it ran 5.80's in 660 on ice. Mind you you had to run a 5.70 to win the world series this year. The reason I posted is I see you doing a lot of talking about HP numbers and Fast sleds but I never seem to see you posting about racing.

Also you say you've seen the stroked 1000's done and it doesn't work. allen ulmers stroked 1000 ran 4.6's. an made 252HP and that is a steal sleeve motor like your 835. My motor is going to be a nickalsil motor no steel sleeves.

Last edited:
wow u guys got some crazy stuff happening, keep it comming lol ladys and gentlemen start ur engines and lets go racing dam it can,t wait is going 2 snow yet lol

Hey Tony hows it going. I know the SX's can make in the 145 to 150 range as a 700 with pipes porting and head work. A good setup 780 can make 180 with lectrons and as a prostocker should make more in the right hands.

Also Jeff is mikes Buddy not mine. LOL

This post has gotten out of hand.. The guy asked what we thought about making a good lake runner not a pro stock drag sled.. What no one did was ask what he was actually looking to do with this sled. Is it his trail runner aswell? Does he have access to fuel stops often? (v-max 4's can be made to run hard but love fuel)
I have owned all three of these sleds, ported and piped SX ( maybe one of my favorites ) 700 ported SRX, 780 BB SRX with pipes, 835 BB SRX with pipes and a ported and piped V-max 4. All these sleds can be made to be great lake runners. Question is what running do you do and what kind of sleds do you run against. And lastly what kind of money do you have to spend. If on a budget my sled of choice would be a 700 SRX!! JMO though..

Back