Best lake runner

jabber800 said:
This post has gotten out of hand.. The guy asked what we thought about making a good lake runner not a pro stock drag sled.. What no one did was ask what he was actually looking to do with this sled. Is it his trail runner aswell? Does he have access to fuel stops often? (v-max 4's can be made to run hard but love fuel)
I have owned all three of these sleds, ported and piped SX ( maybe one of my favorites ) 700 ported SRX, 780 BB SRX with pipes, 835 BB SRX with pipes and a ported and piped V-max 4. All these sleds can be made to be great lake runners. Question is what running do you do and what kind of sleds do you run against. And lastly what kind of money do you have to spend. If on a budget my sled of choice would be a 700 SRX!! JMO though..

Good post Dan.I agree, read my first reply.If you are trail riding with this ZR and playing on the lake here and there, 780 srx all the way for bang for the buck but I will say all the numbers talk aside Buffalo Bob probably had the best suggestion, if you already have a 700 SX in the camp put triple pipes on it and go from there! I have seen Jabbers 700 sx that he is referring to run first hand and you can make them rock.

jtssrx:
"The reason I posted is I see you doing a lot of talking about HP numbers and Fast sleds but I never seem to see you posting about racing."

why wouldn't i post the info if i have it?? that's what this forum is all about...sharing info, isn't it?? the person that started this thread doesn't want to know about my racing resume, he's interested in what will work best for him!!

252 h.p. is around the number i have seen for a pro stock 1000 viper. not even close to competitive unless your going to sit on a lake & race against trail sleds. HTG 1000 skidoo - 275 h.p.; jim cooper's 1000 skidoo - 290 h.p.; rich daly's 1000 skidoo - 280+ h.p. & that's just off the top of my head.

btw nice sled stand for that viper.
bob

MARK VICCIO PRO - STOCK 1000 MACH Z IS AT 300hp. HE DID QUIFLY AT THE WOODYS CHALLENEGE LAST FALL AT SENECA FALLS WITH A 4.60 et. THAT PUT HIM NINETH IN A 16 SLED FIELD. FASTEST SLED WAS ROY OLIVER 4.32 et. BOB IS RIGHT ON ONCE AGAIN. 300 HP OR UNDER AND YOU CAN COME PLAY AT JIACOBBE,S WITH US. ANYWAYS HOW ARE YA JT, ONE THING I WILL SAY THAT VIPER IN YOUR PICTURE IS AWSOME. NOW I ASSUME THE 1000 ALLAN HAD YOUR REFERING TO IS THE SRX MIKE HAS TODAY ?. MIKE HAS THAT FLYING BUT 4.60 ? NOT WHAT VICCIO TOLD ME ABOUT THAT SLED EVEN AT ITS PRIME AT FENWICK. 3:16 (yammie tony)

jtssrx said:
Hey Tony hows it going. I know the SX's can make in the 145 to 150 range as a 700 with pipes porting and head work. A good setup 780 can make 180 with lectrons and as a prostocker should make more in the right hands.

Also Jeff is mikes Buddy not mine. LOL
THE SX WE JUST TESTED YOU CAN LOP ANOTHER 10 + ON YOUR GUESSTIMATE HP RANGE . THATS WHY I REFERED IT TO A TRAIL PORT 780. YOUR CORRECT, THEY DON,T MAKE 25 hp. MORE LIKE 30. YOUR GONNA SAY PORTING GETS 30 HP ? THOSE PIPES ARE MAKING MORE POWER THAN ANY PORT JOB. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
THE SX WE JUST TESTED YOU CAN LOP ANOTHER 10 + ON YOUR GUESSTIMATE HP RANGE . THATS WHY I REFERED IT TO A TRAIL PORT 780. YOUR CORRECT, THEY DON,T MAKE 25 hp. MORE LIKE 30. YOUR GONNA SAY PORTING GETS 30 HP ? THOSE PIPES ARE MAKING MORE POWER THAN ANY PORT JOB. 3:16 (yammie tony)

No No I wasn't saying Porting gets you 30HP. I was saying a combination of a good set of pipes, Porting and head work will get you 30 plus hp. Now go port the case play with timing and put a set of lectron's on it and you can add 40 to 50 Hp to a stock SX.

Fred from Lighting pro had a wicked fast 97 SX. power inc pipes LP porting, head work and Bored carbs. It was fast!!! That said my mega power Viper with Heads, SLP pipes, and Mega power porting would put 3 plus sleds on that SX in 660.

One of these days tony i need to get out to New York and spend a weekend with you guys on the lake.

Mike was having some cooling issues with his SRX. He doesn't have a water pump on that sled. So he was getting it hot and pushing out the O rings. I think he's added a electric water pump to pump the water to keep if from getting to hot. ;)!

bufalobob said:
jtssrx:
"The reason I posted is I see you doing a lot of talking about HP numbers and Fast sleds but I never seem to see you posting about racing."

why wouldn't i post the info if i have it?? that's what this forum is all about...sharing info, isn't it?? the person that started this thread doesn't want to know about my racing resume, he's interested in what will work best for him!!

252 h.p. is around the number i have seen for a pro stock 1000 viper. not even close to competitive unless your going to sit on a lake & race against trail sleds. HTG 1000 skidoo - 275 h.p.; jim cooper's 1000 skidoo - 290 h.p.; rich daly's 1000 skidoo - 280+ h.p. & that's just off the top of my head.

btw nice sled stand for that viper.
bob

Nice sled stand for my viper, Is that the best you've got?? The sled weighs 400 pounds and it's easier to put it on creates then it is to put it on my lift. The sled is literally 2 inches from the ground.

Again I see you talking all these big numbers and again I see your talking about other peoples sleds. Like I said you do a lot of talking. How many times are you going to post about your 190HP 835 trail sled with reverse??? Which by the way is pretty sad power wise if you ask me. A good running 800 pro stock sleds is can make as much as 230HP. explain to me why that 835 does make can't make 200 plus HP?? My guess is it's a steel sleeve motor , with sub par porting and head work!!!

Anytime you want to lineup one of your sleds with my old 700 Bob let me know. I'm sure the new owner would love to run you!!!!!

jtssrx:
"explain to me why that 835 does make can't make 200 plus HP??"

my bender 835 is trail ported & does make over 200 h.p.. it is a trail sled - yes, w/ reverse - the 194 h.p. i have posted in the past is w/ winter safe trail jetting on pump gas. the day i dyno'd the motor jim @ dynotech said if i jetted it down it would be over 200 h.p.. you can verify the above info w/ jim @ dynotech.

"My guess is it's a steel sleeve motor , with sub par porting and head work!!!"

the composition of the sleeve material will not influence h.p.. the only benefit of nicasil is it is thin & wicks away heat faster to the coolant than cast iron does. however, this is easily compensated for by simply increasing the speed of the coolant flow &/or the capacity of the system.

"with sub par porting and head work!!!"

the BMEP-psi, as calculated by jim's dyno, w/ winter jetting, was 184.1. that is very high, especially for a trail motor. however, based on the contents of your previous posts to this thread i doubt you have no clue what that means.

"Anytime you want to lineup one of your sleds with my old 700 Bob let me know. I'm sure the new owner would love to run you!!!!!"

i will be in northbay this season @ the nbssr races ( valin promised me his red die cast srx & he's holding it hostage until i come up ). bring your old 700 & your 1000. btw, the distance is 2000'. if you want to run further we can pull off to the side on the groomed lake trail & run to the next bay if you like
bob

just a casual reading of post I see not much has changed, benderbuffalobob still making more friends. I am sure you(Bob) are quite familiar with a 1000 viper engine and it not running well, as the one bender built for infohaulzers was a stone for sure at haydays 2 years in a row, as a matter of fact so was thier 700 we beat easily. Now we only had a mere 172hp compared to benders 195hp motors, must just be good clutching..lol. So, I guess its quite possible to be competitive today with less advertised hp, as your racing another sled, and the entire set up comes into play ,not just a sheet of dyno paper.
As far as self adoration, you would kinda be a pot calling a kettle black wouldnt ya bob? You are the very first person here who tells everyone about your 835 engine and you always seem to leave out all the relevant information such as it has aftermarket pipes,bigger carbs,case porting to get to that power level, unlike the 780 big bore engines with stock pipes and stock carbs,reeds, that you compare yours too over and over every year. Any engine with more mods,bigger bore should make more hp.

The pushing of bender stuff gets like a broken record, your merely riding the shirt tails of a previously good aftermarket company and none of the good people are there anymore. What the customer today gets are copycat products and nothing new and innovative from your company or the one you hang at. Want proof??, merely go into general discussion area and look up the bender threads about customers being lied to, getting parts back ruined by someone who doesnt know how to repair something,etc. Thats where you could do some good for bender, work out thier customer problems on here because they need the help of a expert like you Bob.
I also thought you had to be a paid advertiser to promote products,services like you do in the forums. I know bender is but are you?

Tony, I have no information on how much power just those bender pipes make alone on a sx but I can say that you can get more power from a set of pipes with optimum port timing to take adavntage of the pipes, perhaps this why you are seeing large increases in power. Saw the tar times you posted, you got her honkin in the 1320, nice job. ;)!

bufalobob said:
jtssrx:
"explain to me why that 835 does make can't make 200 plus HP??"

my bender 835 is trail ported & does make over 200 h.p.. it is a trail sled - yes, w/ reverse - the 194 h.p. i have posted in the past is w/ winter safe trail jetting on pump gas. the day i dyno'd the motor jim @ dynotech said if i jetted it down it would be over 200 h.p.. you can verify the above info w/ jim @ dynotech.

"My guess is it's a steel sleeve motor , with sub par porting and head work!!!"

the composition of the sleeve material will not influence h.p.. the only benefit of nicasil is it is thin & wicks away heat faster to the coolant than cast iron does. however, this is easily compensated for by simply increasing the speed of the coolant flow &/or the capacity of the system.

"with sub par porting and head work!!!"

the BMEP-psi, as calculated by jim's dyno, w/ winter jetting, was 184.1. that is very high, especially for a trail motor. however, based on the contents of your previous posts to this thread i doubt you have no clue what that means.

"Anytime you want to lineup one of your sleds with my old 700 Bob let me know. I'm sure the new owner would love to run you!!!!!"

i will be in northbay this season @ the nbssr races ( valin promised me his red die cast srx & he's holding it hostage until i come up ). bring your old 700 & your 1000. btw, the distance is 2000'. if you want to run further we can pull off to the side on the groomed lake trail & run to the next bay if you like
bob

:rofl:

2000 feet isn't a race that's a radar run. My guess is you can't make anything run in 500 or 660 feet.

I see you've gotten testy in your last three posts. You must not like getting called out. Again My 700 made the same power as your 835 on a Dyno that is know to read 20 to 30Hp lower then Dyno tech. that says it all for me.

When you ready to race 660 on the ice let me know.

Is Bender a site sponsor? If not you need to stop trying to peddle there stuff!!!

jtssrx:
look @ the top of the page. bender is a banner sponsor.
my offer is still open. come up to north bay this winter & show us what you got. the true test of real h.p. is on the gun on a long hard pull. the track is shaved ice & has 3000' feet of shutdown. btw a radar run is a race.... that's like saying oval racing isn't a race? i guess in your mind if it's not 500' or 660' it's not a race?? i've done a lot of successful drag racing in the past & prefer radar running & trail riding now. i don't intend on taking the time to make all the necessary changes to my trail sled just so i can go out & race "your old sled" in a short drag race. get real.
mrviper:
"bashing" bender racing is just stupid. you may not care for the content of my posts but that doesn't give you the right to try & discredit a competitor. not only does it demonstrate poor character but it is probably a violation of the forum rules!!
bob

bufalobob said:
jtssrx:
look @ the top of the page. bender is a banner sponsor.
my offer is still open. come up to north bay this winter & show us what you got. the true test of real h.p. is on the gun on a long hard pull. the track is shaved ice & has 3000' feet of shutdown. btw a radar run is a race.... that's like saying oval racing isn't a race? i guess in your mind if it's not 500' or 660' it's not a race?? i've done a lot of successful drag racing in the past & prefer radar running & trail riding now. i don't intend on taking the time to make all the necessary changes to my trail sled just so i can go out & race "your old sled" in a short drag race. get real.
mrviper:
"bashing" bender racing is just stupid. you may not care for the content of my posts but that doesn't give you the right to try & discredit a competitor. not only does it demonstrate poor character but it is probably a violation of the forum rules!!
bob

I wasn't sure if bender was a site sponsor. that's why i asked. I guess the Question Mr Viper asked is more applicable. I know in the past it goes against site rules to Pump up Support for one site sponsor over another. I notice there are several posts from you that push people to bender. That's not right!!!

Also I don't think Mr Viper Bashed Bender It looked like he bashed you. But to each his own on that front.

I don't radar run and never will. Also your comparison of Oval racing to radar runs is laughable.

Most in Michigan aren't interested in radar runs I guess that's why I never got involved in them. I guess this will never take place. Your not willing to 660 race and I'm not interested in doing a radar run.

As far as racing my "old sled" goes I guess your SRX isn't old???? Sounds like you're in the same place you were when Tyler wanted to race you "unwilling to go get beat"!!!!

Last edited:
THANKS DON, JUST GOT HOME TONIGHT FROM NYIRP, 10.11 e.t. @ 123 MPH BEST FOR THE NIGHT. TO MAKE YA LAUGH, 8CA WEIGHTS, OLD MICRO BELMONT HELIX etc. JUST MISMASHING CLUTCH PARTS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

tar racing

Tony, should be around 6.20's/110-113mph in the 1/8th? whats the 60ft like?,must be pretty decent, like lower 1.40's?

thats great times for a little 700! ;)!

Looking back over the post, I think JT was saying the same thing I was about the pipes, getting more power along with the right port timing, doesnt really matter though as long as the sled is running hard,who cares....

YEP DON THATS EXACTLY WHERE HE IS AT. 1.40 s 60 F.T. NOW ALSO KEEP IN MIND THIS SLED HAS HAD SOME WEIGHT TAKING OUT, BUT STILL USEING THE ORIGINAL RED HEAD. NOW HE HAS NINE FEVER, I TOLD HIM '' MAN ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY YA KNOW '' lol. AND LOOK I WAS NOT AT ALL DOUBTING WHAT JT POSTED, MY POINT WAS MAN START AT 112 AND GO TO MID 160,s, thats pretty inpressive. SOMETHING MAKING THE POWER HERE , OH WELLTHANKS AGAIN. 3:16 (yammie tony)

JT I AM NOT. BUT SLED IS. I AM GOING TO BIG VINTAGE SNOWMOBILE SHOW HERE IN NY. I JUST MADE ANOTHER CLUTCH CHANGE, HOPE IT DON,T GO BACKWARDS, HAVE THIS SLED HONKING. I JUST READ YOUR POST IN THE '' SRX '' POST HERE. MY 2000 SRX WILL BE ON JIMS DYNO IN JUNE. I WON,T USE A AFTERMARKET SILENCER OR V-FORCE REEDS, BUT SLED WAS PORTED BY MARK VICCIO TO LEGAL ISR SPEC. ALONG WITH A YAMAHA REPRGRAMED RACE BOX. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HP WILL BE, LOW 150,s MAYBE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
JT I AM NOT. BUT SLED IS. I AM GOING TO BIG VINTAGE SNOWMOBILE SHOW HERE IN NY. I JUST MADE ANOTHER CLUTCH CHANGE, HOPE IT DON,T GO BACKWARDS, HAVE THIS SLED HONKING. I JUST READ YOUR POST IN THE '' SRX '' POST HERE. MY 2000 SRX WILL BE ON JIMS DYNO IN JUNE. I WON,T USE A AFTERMARKET SILENCER OR V-FORCE REEDS, BUT SLED WAS PORTED BY MARK VICCIO TO LEGAL ISR SPEC. ALONG WITH A YAMAHA REPRGRAMED RACE BOX. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HP WILL BE, LOW 150,s MAYBE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Hopefully you will post the results...!

orchie18 said:
Just though i would start a off season debate. I am looking to find a good platform for a fast lake runner. I have my sx which i have upgraded the suspension and love to ride but falls short of my buddies zr800.gonna keep it for my trailsled. well now hes bought a 03 zr900. so i need to find a lake runner that will give him a run. whats the best 2stroke sled for a lake runner. SRX Vmax4 Viper...

I have to be biased, my vote is definately for the Vmax-4 if your looking to build a lake racer! This sled may not be the best for trail riding comared to others, but its at home on the lake! Just remember...If you want more go with 4, If you want less ride the rest!

Back