Best lake runner

"If you want more go with 4, If you want less ride the rest!" LOL, that's funny. There used to be a T-shirt the Polaris guys had that said something like, "Once you've had three holes you can never go back." I used to tell em, try four and throw stones at that Poo triple. Then Yamaha built the triples and showed them how to do it right.

Maybe I'm dreaming here but am I the only one that caught that, "93 ZR900"? The 93 900 was a T-Cat, NOT a ZR.

Prep a 4 correctly and it will eat that kitty real good! Other than the fuel consumption which has been mentioned already. Hell, after getting off my 750 and on to my 98 700 SRX, I called the X a rolling jerry can compared to the 4. Still, nothing, and I mean nothing compares to that sweetheart of an engine.

The 4's were in a very mild state of tune out of the box and as far as potential, have it in spades over the triples. The Budweiser Sno King used 4 750's that made 250hp each! The 4 will do that and STILL BE RELIABLE! Not only that but the 750 was qualified for aircraft service running a 1000 hrs at full tilt! Bulletproof, you bet! I'll never part with mine, just inject some modern tech into it! Best. G.

The question posed was best "Lake Runner", not "Pond Runner" so from my perspective guys with opinions on 500-660ft times/speeds need not apply. I am a big drag racing fan but that is not the question. To me even 1000ft doesn't really constitute the full potential of a "Lake Runner". To me 1000ft means "Lake Racer" and Quadzillaracer is (without a doubt) the man to listen to in that catagory.

When Orchie18 asked about a "Lake Runner" I see a guy that wants a horse with lonnnng sleek legs that is rider friendly but when given the spurs will strive to put it's nose to the front of the field. This horse will also be taken on an occasional, leisurely trail ride when conditions are right but will be used mostly for cruising the lakes, showing off and going fast while doing so. My bias is the same as Quadzillaracer's and my reasons for that bias go beyond personal preference. A Porche is fast and cool but it won't get the looks, nods and respect of a Hemi Cuda. To me the Vmax-4 is the Hemi Cuda of Mother Nature's finest season (Winter). Beatable? sure but always a force to be reckoned with that has a lot of unleashed potential. T'is my choice and recommendation. To me there is nothing more fun than cruising the lake looking for victims and when you see a couple of guys on their ZRXRSSGPlmnop 950 Polaradoocatasorus's lining up for a go, to let them go. Then when they are at speed and think they are all "THAT" to drive right between them with a wave (see ya) then wait for them at the other end of the lake just to see if they will show up. Many won't. Priceless.

We go beyond "lake Running" here as we have a river with a lake incorporated into it. (do a google map search for "Fox river Waterford Wi" and follow it up) It's about a 25 mile run from the dam in Waterford to where you run out of rideable river just south of Waukesha. You need more than just a straight line sled to be fast here as the corners are many and require more speed than the straights if you want to be out front. Just trying to keep up with some of the hot rods that show up will have you in a complete sweat even when it's 10 below zero. I love it and so does my Vmax-4. What a rush.

opsled

Last edited:
wicked post, I love it. I think you hit the nail on the head. With enough room not much will touch them vmax-4's. I still remember the look of a certain person when I lined up my 750 against their f-7. I myself outweighed the other rider by an easy 60 lbs, not too mention what I gave up in sled weight. Yes the f-7 beat me off the line, and for about 3 or 400 feet, then I made up the length or two and said see ya later. We eased up after about 2000 feet or so and I think i was outfront by about 15 lengths by then. Later that season I let my light friend, 80 lbs lighter than me race the same f-7. The results made me shiver. Now, I am not saying this was the best setup f-7 out there, maybe not even close. But it was stock, really stock, no y pipes, or whatever else they do to those things. I was also running bone stock at the time, didnt even have a stud in the thing. I tell you though, the excuses from the losers are worth it every time. I even got "you were heavier, you had better traction." "you have 4 cylinders, I only have two."

So yeah vmax-4 all the way, 800 or 750, they are both fast as hell. I would love however to have the chance to run against an srx700, so if you want orchie18, grab one and we'll see how it goes. That would be fun!

-Rustman

haha....i dont know ken (RUSTMAN) i would like to have one of each.sx,srx and vmax four..lol...but i am probably going to go with a vmax4. my sx is plety fast for the trail especially after i give it a little extra snot this summer. and i think the vmax 4 is the best stock platform to embarass some of the uppergagetown boys judging b all the posts in favor of them. we have alot of water here in central Newbrunswick and the rivers lakes meadows all run together making an excellent high speed snowmobile heaven. I do believe you would agree ken that we will have to take a trip down to uppergagetown with me this winter and help me embarras a few boys down there lol...

by this winter it shouldnt be a problem. I have a few goodies ordered to spice up the old dinosaur a little. When the snow shows we'll suit up and head downriver. They wont know what hit them.

Heres a vid of me and a bud at full throttle, videos dont do justice, but here it is. I had some serious traction problems, the beast kept breaking loose, finally got some grip at about 80mph. Burton bridge is in the background near oromocto, nb, canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVrnRULUrw

Last edited:
I was just at my old yamaha dealer today, he no longer sells yamahas, or anything for that matter. But he has a couple used sleds. He has a Vmax 4 with just under 1900 original miles, totally stock, and looks like it is brand new. Only thing he did to it was stud it. I popped the hood and could not believe how clean it was still.

If anyone is interested, it is in Frederic WI at Rays firestone. Shoot me a pm and I could get you a phone number if you can't find it. I don't come on the 2 stroke side much, but I'm over on the 4 stroke side often.

Just thought I would share this, if anyone is looking for a vmax 4!

Back