TY Vmax Vintage Build Stage 2

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Stage 2:
Remove old track and chain case. Dry fit track and tunnel extension to measure clearances. All checked out better then planned. Next step would be fitting and mounting the 136" Mono.

Attachments

• Phase2(0).JPG
    Phase2(0).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Phase2 (1).JPG
    Phase2 (1).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 166
  • Phase2 (2).JPG
    Phase2 (2).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Phase2 (3).JPG
    Phase2 (3).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Phase2 (4).JPG
    Phase2 (4).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 152

Man im loving your project, im stuck doing a to the studs bathroom remodel for the wife. So no sled stuff for me this summer! But keep it up makes me feel better!!! CCC

super1c said:
Man im loving your project, im stuck doing a to the studs bathroom remodel for the wife. So no sled stuff for me this summer! But keep it up makes me feel better!!! CCC

Sled stuff definitely more fun ;)!

Why don't you put on some 90's clutches on that as well? Don't have to grease.

norwegian said:
Why don't you put on some 90's clutches on that as well? Don't have to grease.

Or newer??

Pics are of 540 and jackshaft with 07 Phazer clutches. They fit. The first two show the primary bore depth difference when mounted on the engine between the Phazer clutch and a new OEM 102 Yamaha-Comet inner schive. The Phazer clutch runs closed to the frame but there is enough clearance to make it work. The secondary slides right on the original 540 jackshaft. I'm sure there are other OEM Yamaha combinations that will work.

opsled

Attachments

• 07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 001.jpg
    07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 002.jpg
    07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 003.jpg
    07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 003.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 005.jpg
    07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 005.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 006.jpg
    07 Phazer clutch primary and secondary on Vmax 540 engine 006.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 144
All primary clutches from 95 and up are the same, except some later models have tall primary cover. A 95 vmax secondary is better IMO than the 07 Phazer one, because it is an open design.

what about brakes?

maybe a brake upgrade too? hyd. caliper and such?

well you could use an enduro style caliper with a fabricated adapter bracket. even a single piston caliper set-up will be way stronger than cable brakes. we used a caliper with slide assembly from a 1985-2000 xt350 front brake. the rotor is the same thickness on that as a sled rotor and i picked it up for $30.00 on ebay. took 30 min for my buddy to fab up an adapter bracket for the mount and he already had the master cyl and hose from a mxz583 that worked with it. night and day difference in the brakes.

i can take some pics of it if you like as it is stored at my place currently. buddy is not finished on the detail parts of it as he is truing to get it running consistantly.

MrSled said:
I was looking at that too... just not sure how it could be done....

Here ya go.

http://www.vintagevmax.com/vvforum/viewtopic.php?t=1613&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have looked into hyd brakes for my 92 Vmax-4 and others. Most of what I see others doing is like what you see in the link. They use the stock caliper mount to hold a bracket that that the hyd caliper mounts to. It works great but when you are done you don't have a parking brake. I have figured out a way for my 92 to do the same basic thing as others have done but with a bracket that still allows the stock brake caliper to be functional so as it can be used as the cable actuated parking brake. I just have to find the time to get it done. I'm sure the same could be done with the 540.

As said in the link, most of the newer Yamaha hyd master cylinders fit the older sleds almost perfectly and the electrics plug right in so that is the easy part. If you need a longer hyd hose get one off a 4 stroke Phazer. They had taller bars and the hose is long enough to rotate the caliper around the back side of the chaincase on standard bar hight sleds.

opsled

PS. I don't know about now (summer) but I bought a complete setup (master cyl, caliper, rotor, hose, P-brake cable and caliper) from a late model trailing arm sled off of ebay for under $50 shipped. Figure out a good bracket setup, maybe a longer hose and you're in business.

Last edited:
opsled said:
Here ya go.

http://www.vintagevmax.com/vvforum/viewtopic.php?t=1613&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have looked into hyd brakes for my 92 Vmax-4 and others. Most of what I see others doing is like what you see in the link. They use the stock caliper mount to hold a bracket that that the hyd caliper mounts to. It works great but when you are done you don't have a parking brake. I have figured out a way for my 92 to do the same basic thing as others have done but with a bracket that still allows the stock brake caliper to be functional so as it can be used as the cable actuated parking brake. I just have to find the time to get it done. I'm sure the same could be done with the 540.

As said in the link, most of the newer Yamaha hyd master cylinders fit the older sleds almost perfectly and the electrics plug right in so that is the easy part. If you need a longer hyd hose get one off a 4 stroke Phazer. They had taller bars and the hose is long enough to rotate the caliper around the back side of the chaincase on standard bar hight sleds.

opsled

PS. I don't know about now (summer) but I bought a complete setup (master cyl, caliper, rotor, hose, P-brake cable and caliper) from a late model trailing arm sled off of ebay for under $50 shipped. Figure out a good bracket setup, maybe a longer hose and you're in business.

Awesome info :) ... are you offering up that caliper for sale?

nice opsled....

mrsled, I have a m/c,hose and caliper for you. donated to the build

mrviper700 said:
nice opsled....

mrsled, I have a m/c,hose and caliper for you. donated to the build

Crappp!!!, Throw in your best sales pitch in order to make a buck..... Get the big fish on the line (site admin)..... And just when you think you can reel him in...... He is served with a meal of FREE!!! "brake parts delight". Damn do gooders..... mrsled????? Nice move. Do I know have to up the ante? (lol)

opsled

PS. I've been wondering about the mrsled thing. Is it Mr Sled or Mrs Led. I'm hoping the former. If not I'm really upset.

opsled said:
Crappp!!!, Throw in your best sales pitch in order to make a buck..... Get the big fish on the line (site admin)..... And just when you think you can reel him in...... He is served with a meal of FREE!!! "brake parts delight". Damn do gooders..... mrsled????? Nice move. Do I know have to up the ante? (lol)

opsled

PS. I've been wondering about the mrsled thing. Is it Mr Sled or Mrs Led. I'm hoping the former. If not I'm really upset.
Dont get too nasty.... this better be a joke... very short temper on this end and if you have to ask the question about my name then I will have to mark you...lol

Back