98-99 srx600 cdi VS 98-99 srx700 cdi

montynormand

I've read several threads regarding using the srx700 box on a srx600. My '98 srx600 race sled project has no spark, so I picked up a '99 srx700 box this weekend at a swap meet. No on has really explained the differenced to me. I was thinking the 700 might have more advance in the timming curve in the lower RPM range.
Can anyone shed more light on this :o|

The 600 srx box is more aggressive. You have this a little backwards. Drag racers in the stock class used to use the 600 srx cdi on the 700,s.

MONTY, I BELIEVE ITS THE OPPSITE. THE 600 SRX BOX ON THE 700 HAS MORE ADVANCE TIMING CURVE. HAVE A 98 600 SRX IN MY GARAGE RIGHT NOW READY FOR GRASS DRAGS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
CDI box or the whole sled Tony? and will a 98 cdi fit a 2000 if they say it can be use for drag racing. nevermind didn't see all the topic I need snow :letitsnow :letitsnow :2strokes:

any chance your CDI box for the 2000 is forsale TONY ;)!

Last edited:
The 2000 SRX CDI is unique:
as in:
- the 1998/99 699 + 700SRX boxes are interchangeable
-the 2000 SRX CDI only fits a 2000 and no other year CDIs work[without wiring harness mods or changes]
-the 2001 + 2002 SRX CDIs have the same plug in but only the 2002 CDI has DCS.
Bob

sideshowBob said:
as in:
-the 2000 SRX CDI only fits a 2000 and no other year CDIs work[without wiring harness mods or changes]
Bob
Yeah I didn't read all the topic sorry need more coffee and snow LOL ;)!

MONTY, CONTACT ALLAN ULMER. HE HAD A REPROGRAMED RACE BOX FOR A 600 SRX. VERY VERY RARE. 3:16 (yammie tony)
NEEDASRX, NO !! sorry lol. 3:16

Monty-
Are you asking about a stock CDI or a race (reprogrammed) CDI? I recently purchased a race CDI to build an SRX 600 improver and was told that the 600 and 700 were interchangable (no difference whatsoever). :dunno:
Dave

Dave.... See now we have even more conflicting information. I am talking stock cdi's here.
I would love to know more about the race boxes....

sideshowBob said:
as in:
Bob
BOB EXPLAINED THIS PERFECT PER YEAR AS FARR AS PLUGS. NOW. ALL THE STOCK YAMAHA SRX BOXES WERE REPROGRAMED ONE WAY FROM YAMAHA. I HAVE A REPROGRAMED BOX ON MY 2000. IT IS A STOCK 8DN BOX. THESE BOXES ARE VERY RARE AND WENT TO MOSTLY GUYS THAT RACED WITH YAMAHA BACKING FOR GRASS RACING. NOW. HAUCK, CPR, RIECHARD, BENDER etc ALL MADE THERE OWN RACE BOXES FOR HIGH RPM RACE MOTORS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Now I'm even more confused. What am I not understanding here? On page 1 of this thread, Turk and Yamigod both say the 600 has more timing advance than the 700. Sideshowbob then states the 600 and 700 are interchangeable. Next Yamigod said that all the stock yamaha srx boxes were programed one way ?????????????
I'm all mixed up.
Am I to understand that yes the boxes are physically interchangeable and have the same plugs and such. But I still struggle with my original question - are the timing curves for the srx600 and srx700 '98-'99 the same? Even thought this project of mine will be a oval racer, my tracks are realitivly short 350-450ft straights, so I am looking for the best low end grunt I can get

The 600 and 700 boxes are not the same timing wise from the factory. It is my understanding that the 600 box runs a touch more timing in the midrange. So yes the 98-99 600 and 700 box will interchange plug wise, but they are programmed differently from the factory. As for the "race" boxes can't help you there.

Based on your description I think you want to find a 600 box to run for your short track oval sled.

STOCK- 600 SRX BOX HAS MORE TIMING ADVANCE THAN SRX 700 BOX. SO YES FOR DRAG RACING IT WOULD BE A GAIN FOR THE 700 SRX TO RUN A 600 SRX BOX. NOT VISA - A- VERSA. NOW, SOME THAT HAD YAMAHA BACKING IN THE LATE NINTIES HAD REPROGRAMED BOXES FOR ISR GRASS DRAGS THROUGH YAMAHA ,s RACE DEPT. WHOLE DEFFERENT ANIMAL. MONTY, NOTHING TO BE CONFUSED ABOUT, THIS IS A WHOLE DEFFERENT THING THAN PLUGING IN A STOCK 600 BOX. 3:16 (yammie tony)

montynormand said:
Now I'm even more confused. What am I not understanding here? On page 1 of this thread, Turk and Yamigod both say the 600 has more timing advance than the 700. Sideshowbob then states the 600 and 700 are interchangeable. Next Yamigod said that all the stock yamaha srx boxes were programed one way ?????????????
I'm all mixed up.
Am I to understand that yes the boxes are physically interchangeable and have the same plugs and such. But I still struggle with my original question - are the timing curves for the srx600 and srx700 '98-'99 the same? Even thought this project of mine will be a oval racer, my tracks are realitivly short 350-450ft straights, so I am looking for the best low end grunt I can get

I guess I should have been more specific.

As stated the 1998/99 SRX CDIs will all plug in and function on the 1998/99 600 + 700s but the 600CDI has slightly different timing specs then the 700s as previously accurately explained.

Bob

OK, I have a "race / high RPM" CDI box from a 98/99 700 SRX. Can I use it on a 600 SRX improver?
Any help is appreciated.
Dave

upland said:
OK, I have a "race / high RPM" CDI box from a 98/99 700 SRX. Can I use it on a 600 SRX improver?
Any help is appreciated.
Dave

IMO:
I would say YES as worst case scenario would be that the box is a stock 600SRX CDI but more likely an improvement[for racing] then a stock 600SRX box would be.

As a side note:
I have always severely disliked the aftermarket or even Yamaha supplying supposedly modified parts without giving the actual specs...its why I moved[decades ago] to purchasing my own specified parts thru "Dalton", Thundershift", "Team",ect...
I even spec out my own porting, timing, pipe specs ect because if you can't baseline your setup how could you ever adjust/improve on it!!!???
JMO:
Bob

I AGREE WITH BOB, ALL YOU CAN DO IS TRY IT. I FIELD TESTED MINE AND DYNOED TEST IT. GREAT WAY OF KNOWING IF YOU NEED TO INCRESE (up jetting) FUEL. 3:16 (yammie tony)

If you plan to run high rpm pipes on your improver you will need an aftermarket race cdi!! Timing on the stock ignitions falls off to badly to take advantage of any of the race pipes on the market.. Trick is finding them now!!!!

Back