'03 Viper Wheelchair Rack

JDViper

Lifetime Member
Website
s1231.photobucket.com
Ok...
So I've been in a wheelchair for 7 years (motorcycle accident). I've been sledding since I could walk. You could say it's in my blood. I had a '99 Vmax and '97 XTC up 'til last march. My wife and I went down to one sled (she didnt ride much or for very long). I found an '03 viper with 1700 miles on it. I guess it sat in the crate for 2 years because of bad snow conditions and the dealer couldnt sell it. So I needed to figure out how we could both fit on it and take the wheelchair along. I had a carrier on my vmax that worked great, but I had to start from scratch with a new sled. I put a 136" hartman kit on for starters. Then found a used seat jack and put that on. It sat most of the summer 'til a few weeks ago when I got back at it. I need to have two different carriers. One for when it is just me ridding, and one when it is both of us ridding. This weekend I just about finished the one for just me as a ridder. The harder one is coming up next weekend!! I also added foot holds for her to push off of when she is ridding.

Sorry for the bad pics. I'll get osme better ones posted when it is light out.

1205101658a.jpg
[/IMG]

1205101658.jpg
[/IMG]

1205101657a.jpg
[/IMG]

1205101657.jpg
[/IMG]

1205101707.jpg
[/IMG]

i have the utmost respect and admiration for your love of the sport, underlying only to your desire for life. to you, my man, i salute. eye and mind opener for sure.

Agreed with Snowdad.

I had a buddy when I raced ATV's that we wanted run a team event with us. We outfitted the quad with bindings and ski boots so he could keep his feet on the pegs.

He was paralyzed from the waist down from a dirt bike accident at a young age. He was happy to ride again to say the least.

dude, that rack system is awesome!! great to see that the fact of being in a wheel chair doesn't hold you back! that is admirable

Thats awesome!! ;)! There is a guy down a few blocks from me that is also in a wheelchair. He has been sledding for at least 6 years now. Just like you he fab'd up for brackets and away he goes. He also has made dune buggies and a few other toys which he drives.

Great job. Can you lengthen and slot your mount so it can be extended. Looks like you only need 6 or 8 inches for the wife to fit. Just a guess from the pics. Can you make the wheel (cradles, saddles??) mount directly to it so when you adjust it, everything stays connected and intact.

Keep us posted on your progress

I simply don't know where to start with this post. I guess with congrats. Great ideas and fab skills. Wish I was closer so I could see this personally and shake your hand !!

hats off to you ...almost need a small trailer to pull behind ....or strap some skis to the wheels on you chair and tow behind you ...great to see even tho you were dealt a bad hand of cards you still dont let that slow you down ...addapt and overcome ...

after studying the pic better .. i see you wifes shoulders would almost be pinned between the wheels of you chair ...could you move the wheel mounts back several inches to the top of tunnel extension and make you plate longer that you strap the chair to ? ...my guess is you chair dont collaspe together ? i got a frien who rides but he dont haul his chair

Only thing I can see is maybe a set of snow chains or paddle tires for traction on your chair. Not sure if you have any feeling in your legs but a buddy of mine who is paralized has to watch his in the winter because because he can't feel if there cold. I know they make 12v heated bibs that plug into the sled to keep them warm. I have a lot of respect and admiration for you and your drive to stay active.

Thanks everyone.
The pictures show the carrier when it is just me on the sled. It is mounted further back than my Vmax was because I'd get to jammin through some corners and feel like I couldnt lean far enough. This should be the perfect location for the chair (I think).
The next mount will be for when the seat jack is mounted. the chair will then be tipped so it is kinda sitting on its back. That is going to take some creativity I think. Got it in my head but I'm a little concerened about the bumps taking its toll and having too much vibration.

We'll see I guess...

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
;)!

By the way...
I still have the mount for the Vmax so if anyone knows of someone who may be able to use it, let me know. It should work on any SX model except the viper because of the seat overhang. I guess it would work with some mods...

Awesome job! Nicely fabed up design! Glad to see your still out there enjoying the sport with all of us! Have a safe riding season!

The fact you are riding is just great. You have a real winner attitude !!! Your fab skills are awesome! I like how you blacked out the trailing arms and custom painted the shocks. Looks real good. Mine are a little pitted, and I might have to do the same !!!

Ride safe, and keep the rubber side down !!!

Desire x work, overcomes all

Congradulations on having great desire and doing good work.

There is a man in Maine with no arms that rides a sled, Desire makes us see past the "I can't"

mdbauer62 said:
The fact you are riding is just great. You have a real winner attitude !!! Your fab skills are awesome! I like how you blacked out the trailing arms and custom painted the shocks. Looks real good. Mine are a little pitted, and I might have to do the same !!!

Ride safe, and keep the rubber side down !!!

thanks guys...

I got the sled with a dented trailing arm so i switched it out and painted them and the springs. I'd like to find a black hood from a viper s to finish it off. I love the blacked out with touches of red look. Going to hopefully finish it off this weekend.

Back