A couple of bucks snowmobile accident.

A couple of bucks said:
Just went and picked Him up from the rehab hospital today!!!! He's very glad to be back home in His own house and to see His own dogs! Keeping up the rehab and helping Him out!

First I've heard of this. Was wondering where he's been.

Is it too soon to ask how he liked the 1" aggressor.

Sounds like he's surrounded by good folk, especially his offspring!

Get well soon brother!

It is me finally, COB. Was able to drag myself to to computer in a pain pill induced stuper. Glad to be home and with my family outside of a hospital or rehab facility. geesh those places are depressing. gotta get home just to bring my outlook in life UP.

First of all i'd like to thank my son (illinoisff133). If it wasn't for him, I might have died on that trail. Secondly, everyone that sent up prayers for me. Someone was watching over me. Thirdly, all my riding buds that were there for me when I needed them that night.

It was a VERY poorly marked trail that offered a LARGE drop-off into a tree... this is was i've been told as I do not remember ANYTHING for @ 2 to 3 days from when the accident took place. That's probably a good thing.

Now for my damage report.....broken and seperated Scapula and Clavacula (front and back shoulder), 6 ribs broken in multiple places, had 1 punctured and one collapsed lung, and a bruised heart.....and one TOTALLY scr3w3d elbow.

I'd just like to say this before I sign off......if your riding at night, make DAMN sure you KNOW......AND I say again....you KNOW , the trail your on. If not...it should probabally be a SLOW trail speed night.

Not that I was going that fast.....but I definately should not have been leading......at night.... on an unfamilliar trail.

It was fresh POW though....that's my lousy excuse.

And that new AGGRESSOR that I put on.......HOLLY FRIGGIN SH!T ......THAT THING can move out like a brand new sled. EXCELLENT in the POW.

Gotta go....thanks guys!!!!!

Last edited:
Couple of Bucks, I second everything you just wrote and I'm damn glad you are recovering.

My incident was December 11 and it sounds eirily similar to mine. My injuries are 8 broken ribs. I'm just back to work and was pretty darn close to meeting my maker that evening. Scarey stuff! It sounds like you are going to get "back on the horse" and ride again. Any mental concerns for you? I'm a little shakey at this time, but have been a passionate snowmobiler all my life (44 years old now.) Will you be buying a Tek Vest? I'm just curious how a fellow survivor is handling this.

Good to hear your on the mend COB.

Been riding with a tekvest for over 10 years now. I bought it to race and primarily to protect against "the other guy" but it has come in handy during those goofy unexpected getoff events.

Good luck with your recovery and post back on your progress!

Excitabletom said:
Couple of Bucks, I second everything you just wrote and I'm damn glad you are recovering.

My incident was December 11 and it sounds eirily similar to mine. My injuries are 8 broken ribs. I'm just back to work and was pretty darn close to meeting my maker that evening. Scarey stuff! It sounds like you are going to get "back on the horse" and ride again. Any mental concerns for you? I'm a little shakey at this time, but have been a passionate snowmobiler all my life (44 years old now.) Will you be buying a Tek Vest? I'm just curious how a fellow survivor is handling this.

I can barely walk with a cane. More like shuffle. Mussles have not been used at all as I was in the hospital for around a month. They turned to GOO. Probably be back to work @ FALL. LOTS AND LOTS of rehab.

I'm not familar w/ a tek vest.......What is it?

And yes....I will be getting on next season. Will be looking for a hood and belt cover before 2011/2012 season. Been riding since approx 13 y/o. Not gonna give it up yet. Just some driving habits.

Later
COB

A couple of bucks said:
Isnip I'm not familar w/ a tek vest.......What is it?

Later
COB

It's a hard sided vest sewed together with ballistic nylon made to be worn under your riding jacket. There is other such protection from other mfgs. but it was the hot item some 15 years ago.

A member here has on his avatar a vid of a crash from one of the first X games from a bar cam of a sled crashing on top of the rider. He was wearing a tekvest and the mfg used it in thier promos.

Now you're the guy that will be lifting things and putting them down.

Hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Dan..take good care of yourself..hard to believe how much damage a human body takes from such an accident..and how long recovery can be.All I want to tell you is to be positive..everything will fall into place once again and before you know it..you get that itch again to ride..but with a little different view and probably way more cautious then ever before.
Positive note:you get to spend a lot of time with your family now.. ;)!

Excitabletom said:
I'm a little shakey at this time, but have been a passionate snowmobiler all my life (44 years old now.) Will you be buying a Tek Vest? I'm just curious how a fellow survivor is handling this.

I'm exactly the same age and after some research.....will be purchacing a Tec Vest.

Thanks
Dan

COB,

Sorry to hear your recovery will be so long. Try to look for postives in the whole mess. Oddly, I have found a few, including an awesome wife is taking excellent care of me. I'm married 19 years, but going through my incident has brought us closer together in a good way.

I'm definately going to fix my sled but I think I will ride a lot more aware and with whatever safety gear is available to us sledders.

God speed to recovery!

Tom

Excitabletom said:
COB,

Sorry to hear your recovery will be so long. Try to look for postives in the whole mess. Oddly, I have found a few, including an awesome wife is taking excellent care of me. I'm married 19 years, but going through my incident has brought us closer together in a good way.

I'm definately going to fix my sled but I think I will ride a lot more aware and with whatever safety gear is available to us sledders.

God speed to recovery!

Tom

I also thank the good Lord above, for my wife of 22 years. I couldn't do it without her.

My son went out to where the sled is, and came to the conclusion that I will also need a primary and a secondary clutch.

A couple of bucks said:
Just went and picked Him up from the rehab hospital today!!!! He's very glad to be back home in His own house and to see His own dogs! Keeping up the rehab and helping Him out!

Yeah... my dogs tried (unintentionally I am sure) to put me back in the hospital after I was hurt and spent 3-1/2 days in there; they were so glad to see me;
I have 2 big, male Black Labs, they just "had" to jump on me.... wobbly and on crutches, didn't help matters.

I know about injuries and "life changing"; I had a chain saw kick back on me in Sept '07 while taking out a stump in my front yard and very nearly became "stumpy" myself..... Still not back to work, wound up on Disability; I just started back to school full time to try and change that.....

They say things turn to $#!t at 40; I hit that "milestone", 2 months before my accident; my knee healed better/faster when I screwed that up, at 22.

Hope things are looking up for you. ....you're 44, I'm only 6 months away from that.

Hope all is well and recovery goes well. I too had a snowmobile injury a few years ago, more titanium rods, plates, pins, screws, ect in my leg than bone now. Best thing was the sled never got a scratch on her... Freak accident sent me flying at high speed. I got back on the sled next season and have never looked back but I do slow it down in areas I do not know now... Good luck and happy riding soon...

I just about a 52 year older rider killed inthe U.P. over the weekend. When did sleds get to be so dangerous?!

I called to go help my son start his truck Friday night and with one small movement, I felt and heard of my ribs re-break. Crap. I hate sitting doing nothing when I feel OK sitting, but ribs must take a while to fully heal. Oh well, I'm already scheduled for my 6 week X-rays tomorrow.

I'm thinking more and more about my "other" hobby of restoring and putting around on vintage sleds...

glad to hear your doing better!!!

it's AWESOME to have a strong family, it's strang how things like this help you admire and appreciate the simple blessings, and shine a light on things you always hope are there like your sons ability to come through and surely do the things you raised him to know and understand!!! I'm sure the nut didn't fall far from the tree!!!

best of luck and hopes of a continued and full recoverey!!!

thstorms said:
glad to hear your doing better!!!

it's AWESOME to have a strong family, it's strang how things like this help you admire and appreciate the simple blessings, and shine a light on things you always hope are there like your sons ability to come through and surely do the things you raised him to know and understand!!! I'm sure the nut didn't fall far from the tree!!!

best of luck and hopes of a continued and full recoverey!!!

My son is an EMT and a volunteer firefighter and the rest of my riding buds are also firefighters and /or Marines. I couldn't have picked a better bunch of guys even if I would have known I was gonna have an accident.

Back