A couple of bucks snowmobile accident.

So I got a look at my riding gear after the accident. The EMT had to take his TRAMA shears to
1. my boots
2. my bibs
3. my coat

Pretty much everything. And the coat was a BRAND new 'castle' that I got to match my red 97 sx. New as in......it was the first time I wore it.

Just suxs all around. :o| :dunno:

Ouch! I lost my sweatshirt and a t -shirt to the shears. As I was checking out of the first hospital, they returned the cut off clothing. I tossed them to my wife asked if she could sew them.

Are you walking any better? I just had X-rays to confirm that all the air pockets in my lung lining have cleared-up. I tried to sleep lying down last night, but got up at 3:00 am in pain so I went to the couch where I can sleep sitting up with no pressure on my ribs.

The wife is afraid to attempt any hugging or kissing for fear of re-injuring me. Needless to say, I have been willing to risk it...

I pray you are healing brother. Crashing sucks!

Excitabletom said:
Needless to say, I have been willing to risk it...QUOTE]

ME TOO.

My chest tubes obviously came out before I came home...but, just to 'shuffle' from the coutch to the kitchen leaves me winded. Started therapy yesterday. Hopefully a fast recovery time......but realisticly.....late summer or early fall i'll be back to work. I HOPE AND PRAY that the company doctors let me come back . No such thing as 'light duty' on the railroad.

Glad to see you are on your way to recovery!! Hope the therapy goes well ;)!

You and me BOTH. Luckly, there are ALOT of things that I can be doing at home. Will be taking full advantage of that.

Man....it just ssssssssssstinks. I did lots and LOTS of little things ALL summer long to the sled. And the very first ride.......KAPUT for the season. O-well.....I guess the good LORD could have recalled me.....right.

Didn't know Tekvest made OEM apparel.

4rq7vs.jpg

orjz2d.jpg

http://www.tekrider.com/yamaha.html

Wish you both a speedy recovery. ;)!

Don B. said:
I know about injuries and "life changing"; I had a chain saw kick back on me in Sept '07 while taking out a stump in my front yard and very nearly became "stumpy" myself.....

I also had a chain saw kick back when I was @ 15 y/o. Got me right across the left knee.....sideways. Cutting wood for dad to keep the cabin warm. Didn't even feel it at all. In fact...I started cutting again..................till I felt something funny running down my leg. 'Straight legged' it.....1/4 mile back to the cabin......then dad took me to horse-pittle at approx warp 8. Doc said if 1 or 2 more teeth would have went around, it would have probably ripped the knee cap OUT. I don't even want to think about it.

A couple of bucks said:
I also had a chain saw kick back when I was @ 15 y/o. Got me right across the left knee.....sideways. Cutting wood for dad to keep the cabin warm. Didn't even feel it at all. In fact...I started cutting again..................till I felt something funny running down my leg. 'Straight legged' it.....1/4 mile back to the cabin......then dad took me to horse-pittle at approx warp 8. Doc said if 1 or 2 more teeth would have went around, it would have probably ripped the knee cap OUT. I don't even want to think about it.
I know what you mean about not feeling it; I got my shin bone just above the ankle; I was wearing cut off shorts and low cut "gym shoes"; I saw the cut, and was surprised, wasnt even bleeding much; my 1st thought was to go in the house and grab a dish towel to "wrap" it til I could finish the cut (of the tree NOT my leg) I walked on it a few mins bent down set the saw down, walked around a bit more then decided to sit down and have a look; til this point I thought it was just a flesh wound; when I went to sit, my heel caught in the loose dirt and the other bone in my lower leg snapped; from that point it wasn't pretty.... I'll spare any more details

I cant say since I wasn't there when you got hurt so it's real tough to judge, but I wound up cutting about 3/4 way thru the shin bone so there was more than a "crack" that had to heal; but it did cost me my job (even though it didn't happen there, but in my own front yard) and I am now on SS Disability (and embarrassed by that) because my FMLA time expired with no medical release; I'm currently back to school full time, for the 1st time since about 1987 to try and get back working....
so how are you doing?

Still on a 'fast' shuffle around the house. Sometimes even w/o the cane!!! The lady doing the theropy worked the wrist over today any it's sore as heck. I know alot of us want more time off of work.........but I have definately had ENOUGH.

Not tooooootaly. Went to a knee doctor and he put me in a leg splint that strapped on w/ velcro. I needed that anyway. All that time in a hospital bed,and I did not even know I forked up my knee. Was an old h/s football injury that reared its ugly head once I started to walk again. Turns out....when my body slid forward on the sled(from the impact)my upper leg went forward and my lower didn't move.Forcing the knee cap over onto the side of the knee. I don't feel lucky, but I was reminded of two guys in my and my wifes h/s class that are dead from their snowmobile crash. At least I'm home and alive.

Don't know if I'll be able to make it till the 2011/2012 season though. I'll hear the BRAAAAAAP/BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP on the couch, and get up(about as slow as molasses in January) and shuffle to the window.....................................looking longingly. Hufffffffffffffffffffffff.

Last edited:
good for you!!! count your blessings every day!!! with the extent of your injuries, your bell hasn't rung yet!!! you have good things left to do ......

I know your accident has opened my eyes!!!

every single time I ride I think of you, I've slowed down a bunch in areas I've never been!!!

I bid a friend of mine good fortune a couple weeks ago when he left for a ride, I told him your story, and he tangled his sled in a barbed wire fence along the state trail!!! His eyes are WIDE OPEN now!!!

your in my thoughts and prayers!!!! I wish you the best!!!

That barbed wire...........bad sh!t.......he's lucky he did't loose his head. That is how my wifes classmate lost mis life back in h/s. Didn't see an old,old,old fence w/ a single strand....bout head high.....closed casket funeral.

Thanks for thinkin of me....and spread my story....SLOW DOWN...especially at night.

Some of my incisions that I'll have forever.

Attachments

• left chest tube.jpg
    left chest tube.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4
  • right chest tube.jpg
    right chest tube.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
  • rotate0302110950a.jpg
    rotate0302110950a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • shoulder.jpg
    shoulder.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
i wpould take broken legs an arms over ribs an chest injuries anyday spent many nights in a recliner trying to sleep january i hit a tree an was knocked unconcious blew my helmet off my head woke up 2 hours later sever concusion an broken pinky an bruised everythign for bout 40 plus miles an hour but its my 6th concuson from bein a maniac an this one realy slowed my role an made me think about family when my thumb starts gettin itchy in th ewooded trails the ole xtc 700 even with only one ta an one skit still made me out to the rode a mile out

A couple of bucks said:
That barbed wire...........bad sh!t.......he's lucky he did't loose his head. snip

Thanks for thinkin of me....and spread my story....SLOW DOWN...especially at night.

A riding bud lost most of his upper lip from barbed wire. Don't have to remind him about the dangers, just have to point out to him when his nose is running cause he can't feel it.

Good luck COB!

Sexy pics COB! I will pray for you and your family.

I consider myself 100% healed from my December 11 crash, though the ribs and lungs occasionally feel a little funny. Mentally, my crash haunted me for quite a while, but not too much lately. Ironically, I pray I never forget the pain or fear and definately learn from it.

I just bought a replacment sled on "Spring special." I got a 96 Vamax 600 Mountain Max for trail riding here in Michigan for $500. Wife wasn't too happy to see another sled here, but that's who I am.

Be strong and and heal my friend.

Back