Yamaha 4 strokes

bluemonster1 said:
$18,000 will make me forget about a 4 stroke..lol..torque or not....

Face it dude. You won't be buyin a new sled period. 2 or 4 stroke. (I won't be either BTW) So what's your point?? with the 18K thing.

Are you saying a new 4 stroke is that much more than a two?? Or are you trying to compare a new 4 stroke price to a used two stroke price??

Got a 4 stroke. Love it. Got 2 strokes. Love them. Don't understand why others are so biased.

opsled

blue
buy used
a 2002 srx 700 was 12k new
comparing the technology/comfort/performance/reliability of a new apex it ain,t close bang for buck.
i guess if you riding 100 miles a year up & down the red river an old srx makes sense.

got 420 miles on the the SRX and haven't hit the Red yet..lol.I am always looking for a low priced 4-stroke..but they still want to much for an RX1 yet...True,I don't put that many miles on in a season,maybe 1500 miles or so and I am fine with it.What I really mean is that if I even had money sitting in the bank,a sled like the Apex would cost me about $20,000 with taxes out here.I couldn't see putting that much money down on a sled that is used a few months of the year.If a good used one ever comes this way..I may consider it one day,but now the 2 I have will be fine.

I am SLOWLY weeding my 2 strokes out. I had 9 in the stable until last yr. Down to 6 sleds total, 4 smokers. I loved every minute of riding my Viper, but once on a properly setup RX1,it's days were numbered. I bought Knapp's Apex XTX. He is satisfied with his Doo's. I respect his OPINION, and it's just that, an opinion. I care less what anyone else rides. ENJOY what YOU ride. My attak is now setup for 90% offtrail. I'll go anywhere, anytime, with any other sled. The XTX will be a trail/forest road sled. I'll be parting the Viper, selling the 01 Venture and looking for a 4 stroke Venture. NO reliability issues with my Attak in nearly 6,000 miles. There will always be lemons in any line of powersport toys.

i have riddin my bros 06 apex rtx and after fixing the darting and getting used to the rider up seating, i would say the same as turk. but i also agree with blue, thats to much cash to lay down for the time you get to use it by me anyways. if i had the time and cash to chase the snow, then i dont think the cost of the sled would really matter. jmo

I will be switching to the 4 stroke side soon. This will be the last season for 100% 2 stroke. The plan is to buy a used RX1 or Warrior and sell off the Phazer II. Eventually having 2 nice 4 strokes and 2 nice 2 Strokes. I will be looking for the RX1 soon
Al

Took an Apex for a ride last winter and have to admit I loved the ride, the power and like the fact you dont have to worry about the fuel issues the 2 strokes have. I have had 2 strokes all my life and I do love my Viper, but at some point in the next year I would like to put an Apex in the stable. Its an all around nice trail rider and seems to hold its own off the trails, not to say my Viper doesnt do the same, but times are changing and with all the ethonal that is being put into fuels now one has to wonder where the 2 strokes are going to be in the future.. The price of a new one IS through the roof but I have been keeping an eye open for a good used one.

Just my $.02... I own a 2000 SRX (bought it used) / 2002 SRX (bought it used) / 2006 APEX RTX (bought it used) all purchased OFF SEASON for very reasonable prices. You dont HAVE to spend $18K (in Canada) to ride on new tech. The quality of Yamaha's product - with proper maintenance- keeps them running for a LONG time!

Nicko said:
In a way I agree with you, but your SRX doesn't cost 10k. so I think the price for fixing is somewhat relative with the price of the sled.

You don't have a starter on yours...right ?

$ 2500 sled ---------$ 700 fix
$ 10.000 sled--------$ 2000 fix, if that.

JMO

BTW if I could afford I would buy a used XTX (I've seen them for around $6000-$7500) I rode one for a day a couple years ago and loved it.

Nick

Yes, however when that 4 stroke is 10 or more years old, it is still going to be $2500 if anything happens to the engine, 4 stroke repair costs won't go down, they are a more complicated engine. I do see your guys' point of view too, they are better riding, way more torque, and did i mention, way better riding, they are hands down a more "luxurious" machine.... I guess to make a long point short, it'll just be too expensive for the kids or regular income people who will be running these sleds when they are 10+ years old and have engine failures or other sorts of problems... IMO, But I am not trying arguing that they are a "nicer" sled to ride.

03 Rx-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 with 6150 miles on it. Always garage or enclosed trailer stored. 2" bar riser with newer APEX seat installed for better ride characteristics. Well maintained. all new trive shaft bearings about 500 miles ago, all new front suspension bushings. The track is missing some lugs and could use a replacement after another season of riding. email at brettpeters99@yahoo.com or call at (215) 850-3140 Located in PA and would deliver as far north as old forge NY, will probably be up there around new years.

Asking $2,600 obo
Attached Thumbnails
I can not reach this guy, but for the price, if the engine is alright, I can rebuild th skid. Al

I am not convinced that a 10 year old 4 stroke will have issues. I have an 78 4 stroke 4 cylinder bike with no MOTOR issues, just carb. and I have an 88 4cylinder sport bike with a perfect running motor. and that sucker was abused HARD by all previous owners. look at all the cars with tons of miles. things can break, but as a general statistic, I think you are a lot safer with a 4 stroke. especially if you leave it stock

This is great feedback!!! I am hearing what you all are saying and I have to say I can agree with almost all of you. It sounds like the price tag is indeed one of the biggest holdbacks for us 2 smoke guys, I know it is for me. That is why I would wait until the end of the 2011-2012 season to buy one. More time on the market to drop prices and off season. I think I could find one in my range by then. As far as maintenance I have to agree with Turk, and many others when they are much less finicky then the 2 smokes. fuel injection is a big plus for me, and I agree that the 4 stroke will be more expensive to fix when it breaks but when will it break?? Sure starter issues and smaller things like that will plague any sled but the internal engine should hold up for a LONG time. I know I had to rebuild my 600 as 4900mi for $600. So in theory if I have to spend $2,000 on the 4 stroke in 20,000mi, I will still have saved $400 in engine rebuild cost over the same distance. I think I am going to start saving for one, I really liked the ride, and everything about it. The price tag will be the determining factor.

LOL!
This sleighs me that we are still having this discussion after the 4 stroke sleds having been out so long!
It reminds me of the discussions when the 69 + later CB750 Hondas started becoming popular, everyone riding a Japanese bike at the time was riding 2 strokes, I was riding a three cylinder 750 Kawasaki 2 stroke in 72 and never thought I would want to ride or own a 4 stroke until I rode the 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900...that was the end of that. As stated earlier the reliability of the 4 strokes is beyond comparison with the 2 strokes. I still have and ride my 1979 CBX 6 cylinder Honda, 83 CB1100F, KZ1300 ect whereas most of the 2 strokes I owned are long dead...except I still have my modded V4 RZ500 2 stroke.

4 strokes took over street bikes, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, outboards, water craft, lawn mowers, ect and are in the process of taking over snowmobiles...thats why I won't ride one yet because I know when I do...it will be the end of me using my SRX as a daily rider.

JM.02c

Bob

Bob is right I got my 98 SSX600 out today and had to rejet carbs and after riding the 2010 nytro XTX for the first part of the season I would highly doubt I will ride the SSX 600 on the trails again. I am keeping it around because I spent ALOT of hard labor and love building it and I plan on radar running it and seeing what kind of speed I can get and keep it around for any friends that want to go for a ride. Someday it will also be in the VINTAGE class also.

i have the 2010 nytro and its the total package only issue is its a very cold sled 2 ride, and still play with my 2 strokes, love the smell of burning oil and power inc pipes stroken it on these new sleds, but the day will come and it will be a show peace only untill then i will enjoy the best of 2 worlds

Well one thing I will add is at least the 4 stroke sleds are more reliable than the 4 stroke mx bikes. Still riding a 250 and a 500 smoker, would never run a 250-450f as they are ticking timebombs.

Last month I sold 2 older sleds to get the money for 1 new, or at least newer.

Sold a 97 Polaris storm 800 and a Yamaha V max 600. Put in another $1500 and grabbed a 06 Apex.

The first thing I noticed, you freeze your bells off on this thing. Needs a better windshield for long distance riding. Otherwise it's a blast.

In this buyers market $4-6000.00 will buy alot of sled 2 or 4 stroke. Do a completed items search (advanced search) on Ebay to see what range they are selling.

Back